Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need help/advice about Marriage Visa

Need help/advice about Marriage Visa

Old Nov 10th 2018, 5:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help/advice about Marriage Visa

Believe David meant to write "moving before your January 2020 date is unlikely so you might be a bit worried." The I-130 and the ultimate CR-1 visa obtained at the US Embassy in London is currently taking 12 to 18 months of be adjudicated. If that holds true for 2019, you might not get our visa until spring of 2020 since it is now November 2018, you are not yet married, and the paperwork has not yet been completed, let along filed.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Zara Linn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
In general, it would be cheaper/easier to marry the US. You clearly have enough money to have visited each other. The US mother as co-sponsor seems a simple option if she has the funds.
The CR1 visa process is the same for everyone ,worldwide, regardless of circumstances - familiarize yourselves with it, and ask here if you have problems understanding, or meeting the requirements. As Rene said, we want to help. We all started with possibly incorrect assumptions, and worked through it! Good luck!

We have visited one another only once per way. He came here first and I just visited him this year. The only reason I was able to see him is because I had the money gifted to me from a mutual friend, I looked into the spousal visa and it would be easier considering our circumstance, though I'd still need to sponsor him, with the help of my household which includes my family, so it might not be too difficult in that aspect, however..even my family is considered low class, so I'm hoping that we can at least make the gap for that. The only issue we're seeing here is time, we're pressed for it because his living situation will change before the beginning of 2020 as his father wants to move to the countryside. He doesn't have the ability to live in his own place since most places would require him to be there for a year or so. All in all the reason we thought it easier to marry in the UK and settle in the US is because the other option seemed so unlikely for us to accomplish.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Vukki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

Thanks for all your comments and advice, I was working so im only back now.. To cover one question in regards to money, for both of us to have visited each other we had to push every penny and get help from close friends for it to work out, i hope i didnt give off the wrong impression..

Also to provide more info on the topic of my "deadline" is im currently living with my parents, they are moving into the countryside by January 2020. so roughly i have just over a year, i currently have no savings (I know this is a horribly limiting factor) I not expecting any big miracles but trying to figure out a way to get this done, I was i had planned further ahead which is fault of my own, but i have no option but to find a way.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vukki
Hello All,

Thanks for all your comments and advice, I was working so im only back now.. To cover one question in regards to money, for both of us to have visited each other we had to push every penny and get help from close friends for it to work out, i hope i didnt give off the wrong impression..

Also to provide more info on the topic of my "deadline" is im currently living with my parents, they are moving into the countryside by January 2020. so roughly i have just over a year, i currently have no savings (I know this is a horribly limiting factor) I not expecting any big miracles but trying to figure out a way to get this done, I was i had planned further ahead which is fault of my own, but i have no option but to find a way.

Go to US, get married, fly back and then apply for US spouse visa - easiest and quickest way. Getting a UK marriage visitor visa could take you two months to start off with .......
Old Nov 10th 2018, 10:11 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zara Linn
We have visited one another only once per way. He came here first and I just visited him this year. The only reason I was able to see him is because I had the money gifted to me from a mutual friend, I looked into the spousal visa and it would be easier considering our circumstance, though I'd still need to sponsor him, with the help of my household which includes my family, so it might not be too difficult in that aspect, however..even my family is considered low class, so I'm hoping that we can at least make the gap for that. The only issue we're seeing here is time, we're pressed for it because his living situation will change before the beginning of 2020 as his father wants to move to the countryside. He doesn't have the ability to live in his own place since most places would require him to be there for a year or so. All in all the reason we thought it easier to marry in the UK and settle in the US is because the other option seemed so unlikely for us to accomplish.
Got it, doing it on a shoestring. The fees are what they are. The flights are what they are. I don't get the problem - he works but lives with parents and has no savings, and they are leaving town in a year. They must have a bit of cash, and do not intend to leave him on the street, even if he does not head to Florida?
Old Nov 10th 2018, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Hello Rich, thanks for you reply, Ill tell you what it is, the job im currently in i only started a few months ago, before that i worked as a bartender, with hours shifting between 16 - 30 hours on a good week but would usually stay around the 20 mark, the deal i have always had with my father was i would pay him a third (roughly) of what i earned as keep for staying in the house, which i respected as it was cheaper than having my own place, during that time i had to take a loan for some unforeseen circumstances, which i almost have paid off thankfully... and its not that they are kicking me out, they will move quite far away from my job, i have no means of transport from their desired location, so in turn i wouldn't have the flexibility nor the best means of getting to and from, my father would only be able to transport me to and from maybe only twice a week, which wouldn't be feasible.

The main reason for posting here was to find what would be the quickest and most cost effective way for me to be with Zara, Hench the stress i currently have with all of this, i was thinking about taking a loan for the money i need and pay what i need for this and pay it back during my time remaining in the UK, but that would have it's own issues.

I know that even if this doesnt work out i will (in time) try and figure something out, but once again, i really appreciate all the help and advice and am researching and taking it all on board!
Old Nov 10th 2018, 11:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quickest and easiest way: Get on a flight fairly quickly to the USA and get married in the USA. This can be accomplished in 2 weeks rather than 2 months going the other way ... so that saves time. You'd be spending money on her UK visa and flight, so the money had to be spent either way.

File the I-130 asap after marriage. All you can do is hope for the best that things process quickly enough, but if they don't, you'll just have to make do. Stay with a friend in the city, or quit work for the remainder of time and live in the countryside.

The longer you wait, the closer it gets to your anticipated "deadline".

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2018, 11:18 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Quickest and easiest way: Get on a flight fairly quickly to the USA and get married in the USA. This can be accomplished in 2 weeks rather than 2 months going the other way ... so that saves time. You'd be spending money on her UK visa and flight, so the money had to be spent either way.

File the I-130 asap after marriage. All you can do is hope for the best that things process quickly enough, but if they don't, you'll just have to make do. Stay with a friend in the city, or quit work for the remainder of time and live in the countryside.

The longer you wait, the closer it gets to your anticipated "deadline".

Rene
That reminds me. I slept in a derelict ex staff house on Tottenham Court Road, for a week before I emigrated!
Old Nov 11th 2018, 1:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Fiancee visa is out for financial reasons.

So first you need to decide where to get married and then file the CR1, in the meantime sort out better employment as this is not cheap and you will need some savings.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vukki
... the job im currently in i only started a few months ago, before that i worked as a bartender, with hours shifting between 16 - 30 hours on a good week but would usually stay around the 20 mark... and its not that they are kicking me out, they will move quite far away from my job...
Originally Posted by RICH
That reminds me. I slept in a derelict ex staff house on Tottenham Court Road, for a week before I emigrated!
I was at university in Cardiff last year (70 miles from 'home') in the final year of my degree, while going through the CR-1 process. I graduated in July (which, in turn, meant the end of the tenancy on my house Cardiff) and didn't move to the US until November. During those four months, I worked three temporary jobs, lived in four different places, moved my cat to the US so that he wouldn't have to couch-surf with me (imagine the horror!), and dealt with a multitude of family issues (two deaths in my husband's family, including his mother).

I'm not complaining! My point to the OP is this: everything that you believe, right now, is insurmountable? It's not. Whatever needs to happen, you will make happen. If you're going to be upping and leaving the UK anyway, then unless you're emigrating due to career prospects (which you're not - you're moving for love) there's no need to claim loyalty to your current job. If you need to move to the other side of the country with your parents so that you can keep a roof over your head, do that! You will find another job to tide you over until it's time to emigrate. Alternatively, perhaps you have a friend or another family member more local who you can stay with for a short number of weeks so that you can keep your current job.

It all seems so overwhelming because you're looking so far into the future, which I don't advise you don't do - it's important to plan. But you need to look at this process in bite-size pieces, and remember that you can get through whatever is ahead, much of which you can't properly plan for yet anyway because you have no idea what stage in the process you'll be in at those points. You're going to hit bumps in the road and you will get over them; you will hit bumps you could never have imagined needing to plan for, and you'll get over those, too. But have faith that if we have all done it, so can you.

Like many of the above folk have suggested, the important thing, for now, is figuring out where and when you will get married. Once you're married, you can move onto bite-size piece 2, which is the I-130.

(As a side-note, re. savings: I had none. Mine were wiped out by the immigration process itself, and by my husband's mother's illness. Find work wherever you can get it, work hard, and all of this is totally achievable. Don't waste your money on a needlessly expensive wedding.)
Old Dec 8th 2018, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Hey all, Sorry for the delay and once again thank you all for your answers and personal experiences. Since looking into it, my partner and I have decided to go along with the fiancee visa, with that I have been able to arrange better living arrangements to help with the waiting period and saving up the money that I need.
I will now have a little more time and will use the info from this thread to help me begin and progress through the Visa.

Thank you all again!
Old Dec 8th 2018, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic news! Well done, and congratulations on the decision made. We'll be here to help during the fun of the journey, whenever you choose to start it.