Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Necessity of I-693 for AOS Interview

Necessity of I-693 for AOS Interview

Old May 17th 2004, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Necessity of I-693 for AOS Interview?

My wife is K1 pending AOS. Interview is in less than two months in NYC.

I set up a Dr's Appt with one of the USCIS civil surgeon and then read this in the exceptions for the Medical Exam on the USCIS website:

Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

My wife had her medical in Jan. 2003 after she received her Packet three from the consulate. She came here in April 2003, we got married and we filed AOS by May 2003. This is within one year of the overseas medical exam, which we don't have a copy of because it was in the sealed envelope given to the consulate on the day of her visa interview. We submitted a vaccination supplement which I believe was done by the same civil surgeon who did her medical overseas.

Does this mean we don't need to supply a medical for the AOS interview per this exception or should I have the medical done anyway just in case?

Thanks for any advice?

Last edited by tcylinder; May 17th 2004 at 6:13 pm.
Old May 17th 2004, 6:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Necessity of I-693 for AOS Interview

tc,

Many K1 people who submitted the vaccination form from their visa medical have needed nothing else for AOS.

When your wife got her interview notice, did it ask her to bring anything with her to the interview? If so, were any of those things an I-693?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by tcylinder
My wife is K1 pending AOS. Interview is in less than two months in NYC.

I set up a Dr's Appt with one of the USCIS civil surgeon and then read this in the exceptions for the Medical Exam on the USCIS website:

Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

My wife had her medical in Jan. 2003 after she received her Packet three from the consulate. She came here in April 2003, we got married and we filed AOS by May 2003. This is within one year of the overseas medical exam, which we don't have a copy of because it was in the sealed envelope given to the consulate on the day of her visa interview. We submitted a vaccination supplement which I believe was done by the same civil surgeon who did her medical overseas.

Does this mean we don't need to supply a medical for the AOS interview per this exception or should I have the medical done anyway just in case?

Thanks for any advice?
Old May 17th 2004, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
tc,

Many K1 people who submitted the vaccination form from their visa medical have needed nothing else for AOS.

When your wife got her interview notice, did it ask her to bring anything with her to the interview? If so, were any of those things an I-693?

Regards, JEff

Hi Jeff,

The notice of action lists under the "what else should you bring" section:

"If you have not already submitted it, bring a completed medical examination (Form I-693) AND vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope."

My wife did do a medical with an overseas civil surgeon per USCIS's list. But I'm not sure if this counts as having "already submitted a completed medical exam". She never got a copy of the medical exam itself so I'm not sure if its an I-693.

I think I see your point about bringing what they are asking for and assume you are suggesting we get the medical done, right?

I figured I'd ask you guys here since there might be someone with experience who might confirm that the exemption stands true for K1ers who filed AOS within a year of getting a medical.

Thanks for any input Jeff,

John
Old May 17th 2004, 6:44 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

John,

No, I wasn't going to suggest that your wife get a new medical exam.

From what you have written here I am guessing that the interview notice you received had a generic list of things to bring and that the I-693 was one of these things. I was hoping you would write that the notice was in the form of a checklist with certain items checked-off as required, making it somewhat personalized to your wife's case.

If my understanding is correct, I personally would ignore the medical examination item because you have already provided the vaccination supplement and that is all that's required of a K1. I would, however, bring another copy of that vaccination supplement with me to the interview in case the copy that was sent with the I-485 application has been misplaced.

However, I do not recommend that you do what I would do. I recommend that you do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

Regards, JEff

Hi Jeff,

The notice of action lists under the "what else should you bring" section:

"If you have not already submitted it, bring a completed medical examination (Form I-693) AND vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope."

My wife did do a medical with an overseas civil surgeon per USCIS's list. But I'm not sure if this counts as having "already submitted a completed medical exam". She never got a copy of the medical exam itself so I'm not sure if its an I-693.

I think I see your point about bringing what they are asking for and assume you are suggesting we get the medical done, right?

I figured I'd ask you guys here since there might be someone with experience who might confirm that the exemption stands true for K1ers who filed AOS within a year of getting a medical.

Thanks for any input Jeff,

John
Old May 17th 2004, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

John,

From what you have written here I am guessing that the interview notice you received had a generic list of things to bring and that the I-693 was one of these things. I was hoping you would write that the notice was in the form of a checklist with certain items checked-off as required, making it somewhat personalized to your wife's case.

If my understanding is correct, I personally would ignore the medical examination item because you have already provided the vaccination supplement and that is all that's required of a K1. I would, however, bring another copy of that vaccination supplement with me to the interview in case the copy that was sent with the I-485 application has been misplaced.

However, I do not recommend that you do what I would do. I recommend that you do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff,

The NOA seems to be generic and isn't a personalized checklist - that would be too thorough and professional for USCIS!

If the exception on the USCIS website is accurate and up to date, then we don't need the medical. I made the Dr's appt for this coming Friday so I'll keep digging and see if anyone else has any advice or 1st hand experiences to share.

Are you or your spouse K1 petitioners?
Old May 17th 2004, 7:14 pm

John,

I was a K1 petitioner.

My ex-wife was a K1 beneficiary. She submitted a copy of the vaccination form from her visa medical exam with her I-485 application and it was all that was required of her. And her AOS interview notice was in the form of a checklist that had a few items checked.

Never forget when asking for immigration advice over the internet that each USCIS local office, like each consulate, has its own variations on how to do things. And things change with time. One person's experience may or may not apply to someone else.

Regards, JEff

Thanks Jeff,

The NOA seems to be generic and isn't a personalized checklist - that would be too thorough and professional for USCIS!

If the exception on the USCIS website is accurate and up to date, then we don't need the medical. I made the Dr's appt for this coming Friday so I'll keep digging and see if anyone else has any advice or 1st hand experiences to share.

Are you or your spouse K1 petitioners?
Old May 17th 2004, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

John,

I was a K1 petitioner.

My ex-wife was a K1 beneficiary. She submitted a copy of the vaccination form from her visa medical exam with her I-485 application and it was all that was required of her. And her AOS interview notice was in the form of a checklist that had a few items checked.

Never forget when asking for immigration advice over the internet that each USCIS local office, like each consulate, has its own variations on how to do things. And things change with time. One person's experience may or may not apply to someone else.

Regards, JEff
More solid advice.

Since I've got your ear, what do you think about the exception about the medical exam which I posted on the USICS website? Would you give this any weight, ignore it, be unsure about it like me?
Old May 17th 2004, 7:58 pm

John,

I think you should re-read my second post in this thread.

Regards, JEff

More solid advice.

Since I've got your ear, what do you think about the exception about the medical exam which I posted on the USICS website? Would you give this any weight, ignore it, be unsure about it like me?
Old May 18th 2004, 12:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He did not get the checklist from NYC DO but from NBC. Their checklist I surmised is different. For the record, we interviewed 20 months after filing in NYC and no medical and/or vaccination supplement was required. Of course that was in 2000. If she has a copy of her vaccination supplement done up by the doctor for the K-1 and no additional innoculations were needed, then if it were me, I would not bother doing another one. You can check out the experience pages for AOS in NYC and see if there is anything recent from there. I know there were several people who interviewed in the last year in NYC.

Rete

John,

Regards, JEff
Old May 19th 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
He did not get the checklist from NYC DO but from NBC. Their checklist I surmised is different. For the record, we interviewed 20 months after filing in NYC and no medical and/or vaccination supplement was required. Of course that was in 2000. If she has a copy of her vaccination supplement done up by the doctor for the K-1 and no additional innoculations were needed, then if it were me, I would not bother doing another one. You can check out the experience pages for AOS in NYC and see if there is anything recent from there. I know there were several people who interviewed in the last year in NYC.

Rete

Thanks, I read the AOS experience pages for NYC and only two couples mentioned the medical. One couple says the DAO asked for the medical and the other couple said the DAO didn't. The NOA for the AOS interview states "if you have not already submitted..bring a comleted medical examination for (I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope". My wife obviously did the medical in her own country before getting her K1 visa. But the AOS experience I read where the DAO asked for the medical was a case where the beneficiary's medical, even though they had it done, wasn't with the file anymore for whatever reason.

From reading all the NYC experiences it seems like there is no standard procedure and the DAO has full power to ask for whatever they want to see or not. Each experience described seems very different from the next with regards to what evidence was necessary and how the DAO examined it or not.

I'm going to have my wife do the medical just in case as I'd rather pay for the medical and be safe than show up with nothing and end up with a DAO who requires it.

Also, in light of my recent layoff, I'm going to have a family member fill out an I-864 just in case the DAO questions my recent unemployment status.

Thanks for your advice.

John
Old May 19th 2004, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

ShirlelyandRay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I read the AOS experience pages for NYC and only two couples mentioned the medical. One couple says the DAO asked for the medical and the other couple said the DAO didn't. The NOA for the AOS interview states "if you have not already submitted..bring a comleted medical examination for (I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope". My wife obviously did the medical in her own country before getting her K1 visa. But the AOS experience I read where the DAO asked for the medical was a case where the beneficiary's medical, even though they had it done, wasn't with the file anymore for whatever reason.

From reading all the NYC experiences it seems like there is no standard procedure and the DAO has full power to ask for whatever they want to see or not. Each experience described seems very different from the next with regards to what evidence was necessary and how the DAO examined it or not.

I'm going to have my wife do the medical just in case as I'd rather pay for the medical and be safe than show up with nothing and end up with a DAO who requires it.

Also, in light of my recent layoff, I'm going to have a family member fill out an I-864 just in case the DAO questions my recent unemployment status.

Thanks for your advice.

John

Congratulations, Glad to hear that all went fine!

Shirley and Ray