Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Name on Marriage license and marriage certificate NOT THE SAME

Name on Marriage license and marriage certificate NOT THE SAME

Old May 25th 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Millana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name on Marriage license and marriage certificate NOT THE SAME

Hi there, its been a while since I last posted. Just had to go through some documentation problems here.

The issue is, my late mother registered me at birth with an incorrect surname ( should have been DE LA CRUZ ) but in my birth certificate my surname is on CRUZ. I found this when I was in college but then we didnt think it would matter so we let it as it is.

Then I met my USC hubby, as pre requisite to getting married, we had to apply for a marriage permit/license, in getting that, one will be asked to present their birth certificate, and they will base the permit on it. In short, we were able to get a permit to marry under my registered ( incorrect) name.

We got married, with all the pleading and stuff to the Priest who officiated out wedding, we got him to agree to make the marriage certificate bearing my real surname ( DE LA CRUZ), with a promise that I will have my birth records corrected after the wedding. We honestly tried, gone to the municipal offices to see how this can be done, after reviewing my case, they told me it cant be done though the simple process of just submitting affidavits, that it would involve court hearing and that I would need a lawyer to represent me. Thinking it would cost me my time ( I am working full time) and money, I decided not to pursue the correction.

Now, my question is, is our marriage void in initio? I have put both my corrected and incorrect names in my Biographic info sheet on "other names" which was submitted to BCIS. I wonder how BCIS will look at our case.

Can anyone shed light on this, please... I will be applying for my passport on wednesday and I will need to submit to the DFA my birth and marriage certificates, I got an affidavit of one and the same person for this, but I am sure I will be asked as to how the marriage certificate entries are different from my birth certificate.

I have been losing sleep because of this.
Old May 25th 2003, 7:52 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Please try not to lose sleep.

My impression, although I may be wrong, is that the BCIS is interested in verification of identity. Basically that you are who you say you are - that they can check accurately if you may be a security risk and have commited any crimes etc. I don't know PI law but in the UK and the US (as far as I know) you can call yourself damm well what you please provided it is not for fraudulent purposes.

I had a different name on my birth certificate and my passport, not my surname but my Christian name - still, a different name nonetheless. I explained the situation to the BCIS, the reason being that I had not used my "birth name" for over 20 years and that the name on my passport was the name I was commonly known by. Initially they used my birth name for my records and EAD - they also issued my AP with this name which meant it did not match my passport name and this did not present any problems at POE.

When my AOS was approved they corrected it.

They may wish to do some checking but you have a valid and reasonable explanation in my opinion and it ought to be possible to satisfy them, especially as the names are not THAT different.