Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Process & Preparation Questions

N400 Process & Preparation Questions

Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 Process & Preparation Questions

Context // My wife is a US Citizen residing here with me in the United States (Salt Lake City). I entered the United States on a CR-1 Immigrant Visa which was obtained through the Direct Consular Filing (DCF) when my wife and I lived in London, UK. For those that might be interested, I documented my entire CR-1 journey here in hopes that it would help those embarking on the process in the near future, answer some questions, and remove some of the stress.

Since we had been married for less than two years at the time of entry to the United States, the Immigrant Visa I received was conditional and the Green Card I received as a result [Form I-551], was only valid for two years after entry. In order to remove the conditions of my permanent resident status, I had to complete the I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence process. Again, for those that might be interested, I documented my entire I-751 journey here in hopes that it would help those embarking on the process in the near future.

Life is really good, we're happily married, established in our jobs, bought a home in April 2015, and our first child was born in September 2015. Alas we find ourselves approaching what is hopefully the final hurdle in the overall process; the N-400 Application for Naturalization. I have a few questions, but will likely have more as we try to navigate the process so I figured I would open a new thread.

I've now begun pulling documentation together and preparing the N-400 package to send at the beginning of April 2016. Here are a few of questions out of the gate;
  1. If I’m remembering correctly we submitted only photocopies when submitting documents in the past [CR-1 & I-751 Processes]. Is it sufficient to submit photocopies of documents [Marriage Certificate, Passports, Birth Certificates, etc] for the N-400 process, assuming of course that I will bring the originals with me to the interview?
  2. When I prepared evidence of ongoing marital union for the I-751 Process, I included documentation from when we began dating, not simply from when we entered the US. Am I expected to provide similar evidence of ongoing marital union as part of my application for naturalization?
  3. For the N-400 package, I’m preparing to include the following, but would welcome any input on what might be missing;
  • Completed Form N-400 Application for Naturalization
  • Completed G-1145 e-Notification of Application Acceptance
  • Fee Payment -- Form N-400 Filing [$595USD]
  • Fee Payment -- Biometric Services [$85USD]
  • Two Passport Style Photographs of N-400 Applicant
  • Evidence of Legal Marriage -- Official Marriage Certificate & License for N-400 Applicant & US Citizen Spouse
  • Evidence of N-400 Applicant’s Immigration Status -- Permanent Resident Card [USCIS Form I-551] Front & Back
  • Evidence of N-400 Applicant’s Citizenship Status -- Official UK Birth Certificate
  • Evidence of N-400 Applicant’s Citizenship Status -- Official UK Passport Photo Page
  • Evidence of N-400 Applicant Spouse’s Citizenship Status -- Official US Birth Certificate
  • Evidence of N-400 Applicant Spouse’s Citizenship Status -- Official US Passport Photo Page
  • Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Birth Certificate for Child of N-400 Applicant & US Citizen Spouse
  • Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- 3 Years of Tax Return Transcripts
  • Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Shared US Home Mortgage Statements
  • Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Shared US Bank Account Statements
  • Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Shared Deed of Home Purchased by N-400 Applicant & US Citizen Spouse.
  • Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Shared Utility Bills
  • Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Selection of Photographs of N-400 Applicant, US Citizen Spouse & Child
Many Thanks,
Rich.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Process & Preparation Questions

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Is it sufficient to submit photocopies of documents [Marriage Certificate, Passports, Birth Certificates, etc] for the N-400 process, assuming of course that I will bring the originals with me to the interview?
Yes.

Am I expected to provide similar evidence of ongoing marital union as part of my application for naturalization?
Yes - from the approved I-751 to the present.

I’m preparing to include the following, but would welcome any input on what might be missing...
Nothing jumps out at me!

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for the quick response, I've really appreciated you and Rene helping me navigate all of this over the last few years.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - from the approved I-751 to the present.
This is a huge relief! If I'm understanding correctly, I do not need to submit evidence of the relationship from the very beginning, but simply from when I submitted my I-751 through to when I submit my N-400.

Nothing jumps out at me!
With the CR-1 and I-751 processes it felt like I was sending everything but the kitchen sink! With my N-400 application, do you think I should include a selection of shared utility bills, insurance policies, vacation travel documents, etc as evidence of ongoing marital union?

To me, it has all seemed like overkill in the past, but by the same measure I have never received an RFE which is a plus -- not that there's necessarily any direct correlation.

Many Thanks,
Rich.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We submitted a few recent bank statements, a few recent mortgage statements, proof of joint health insurance, proof that hubby is beneficiary on my life insurance and 401K, and tax returns.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
We submitted a few recent bank statements, a few recent mortgage statements, proof of joint health insurance, proof that hubby is beneficiary on my life insurance and 401K, and tax returns.Rene
'Recent' being the operative word. As Ian kindly pointed out I don't need to submit evidence of the relationship from the very beginning, but simply from when I submitted my I-751 through to when I submit my N-400. This will save me submitting evidence from the past five years like I did with my I-751!

Thanks Rene, I'll prepare to do the same when I submit this in April

Rich.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

With my N-400 application, do you think I should include a selection of shared utility bills, insurance policies, vacation travel documents, etc as evidence of ongoing marital union?
Umm... this: "Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Birth Certificate for Child of N-400 Applicant & US Citizen Spouse" pretty much demonstrates your ongoing marital union! Everything after that is pretty much an addendum!

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Umm... this: "Evidence of Ongoing Marital Union -- Birth Certificate for Child of N-400 Applicant & US Citizen Spouse" pretty much demonstrates your ongoing marital union! Everything after that is pretty much an addendum!
That worked for us.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

That's a fair observation Ian, well stated! I think the problem is the CR-1 and I-751 processes have taught me to make zero assumptions and to evidence just about every breath I take! Whew!
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

From posts here at BE, I understand that following the Oath Ceremony there are often booths set up on site for you to:

- Register to Vote
- Apply for a US Passport
- Update your Social Security

I understand the first two, but what exactly do I need to update with the Social Security folks? Should I expect a new card, number, or something?

Thanks, Rich.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

From posts here at BE, I understand that following the Oath Ceremony there are often booths set up on site for you to:

- Register to Vote
- Apply for a US Passport
- Update your Social Security

I understand the first two, but what exactly do I need to update with the Social Security folks? Should I expect a new card, number, or something?

Thanks, Rich.
There aren't always booths set up. Depends on location, some do some don't.

SS need to update their database record to show you are now a citizen, they need to see your naturalization certificate to do this. You do not get a new number but I think you will be sent a new card.

Register to vote, obviously they need to see your certificate.

Passport. At mine it was just an information booth, no applications being processed. You have to apply at certain specified locations, specific post offices, town halls etc because as a first time applicant someone has to manually check your application before it is sent off. Your certificate is sent off with your application and returned later. Take a photocopy of it before you send it.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Is it sufficient to submit photocopies of documents [Marriage Certificate, Passports, Birth Certificates, etc] for the N-400 process, assuming of course that I will bring the originals with me to the interview?
So the time has come, and I'm finally preparing the materials to submit my N-400 Application for Naturalization. As I print off photocopies to send (marriage certificates, bank statements, utility bills, birth certificates, tax returns, etc) I'm beginning to wonder...do I actually need to bring to the interview, the originals of everything submitted in my application? Seems a little like overkill, but didn't want to assume.

Many Thanks, Rich.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 9:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I'm beginning to wonder...do I actually need to bring to the interview, the originals of everything submitted in my application? Seems a little like overkill, but didn't want to assume. .....
Yes, and you will probably place the packet on the desk where it will sit for the next hour, after which you will pick it up and take it away with you.

Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand, including answering six questions on US history and government. The rest was spent shooting the breeze about, in no particular order: the Falklands war, the Gulf war(s), Saddam Hussein and other Middle Eastern despots, the (then current) Afghan war and previous conflicts in Afghanistan, the method of government in the UK, the Royal family, the history of the Royal family, including Henry VIII and the creation of the Church of England, and how it relates to the government of the UK, including the Act of Union, renovating houses, in the UK and US, rewiring work and electrical standards, plumbing, roofs, and other sundry construction topics, such as hardwood flooring, crawlspaces and the joys of working in them, and how to deal with the dirt, damp, and the bugs and critters you might find down there. It was a busy hour!

Er, YMMV.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2016 at 9:58 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 10:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

SSA needs to update your records to show naturalization/citizenship as it impacts estate taxes if your wife dies before you.

It is assumed that the good people here will walk you through the naturalization process, just as they walked you through every other process, so that you don't have to think much about it and can post your process for prosperity

BTW don't you already have copies from the other processes? You can use those you know.

Also they are lagging in getting naturalization applications done these days. Apparently, Trump's call for all foreigners to become citizens so they can vote, have overwhelmed the district offices. It has taken a friend nearly seven months in Texas just to receive notification via email that an interview will be set up soon.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 5th 2016 at 10:33 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand, including answering six questions on US history and government.
What a slacker! In 2004, I was in and out of my interview in 8.5 minutes... and that included the questions and chit chat time.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2016, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

What a slacker! In 2004, I was in and out of my interview in 8.5 minutes... and that included the questions and chit chat time.
If it's a choice, I'm opting for the 8.5minute version like you Ian(!)

Did you bring the originals of everything you submitted with your application?

Thanks, Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.