Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Interview and processing times

N400 Interview and processing times

Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 Interview and processing times

Hi All,
Early in August I submitted my N400 based upon 3 years of marriage to a US Citizen. Yesterday I received notice of my interview date - mid December. This seems like a relatively short time to wait between application and interview dates after reading several posts on this forum and trying to keep up to date with the processing timelines on the USCIS website. I applied online and am getting processed at the Denver Field office.

I am a natural worrier and because I believe this timeline seems much shorter than normal, I am concerned that the short processing time may indicate a problem with my application (applied too early, missing documentation or obvious issues with my application). If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be interested to hear them.

I also wanted to let others know about my timeline so far given that I often see questions about this.

Thanks!
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Interview and processing times

There is no problem with your application. If you thought logically and realistically, you would understand that if there were a problem with your application you would have been notified of the problem and asked to correct it via download, email or snail mail, i.e. missing evidence, etc.

It is an upcoming election year. Priority seems to be given these days to naturalization paperwork in order to increase the voter registration.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. This has been occurring frequently over the last six months. Enjoy the increased speed of the process.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Rete. I appreciate the reply. Interesting that the applications are processed more quickly. I was under the impression I would be waiting until April or so to hear about an interview date.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 10:51 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You're overthinking. If there is a problem, you would be notified. Some field offices are faster, and we are coming into an election year.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well, this is strange. I just got notice via email that further action had been taken on my case. When I log into the USCIS portal I have a new document titled "interview de-scheduled". When I open the letter it tells me that "due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel the previously scheduled interview". The letter then goes on to state that" We will advise you of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under a separate notice.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 2:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There’s your notification - sounds like you were scheduled in error.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 2:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For whatever reason, they've had to cancel your interview. They will reschedule and let you know the new date. Maybe the interviewer called out that day and they now have to reschedule his appointments, something like that.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2019, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Just to let you know, my interview has been rescheduled for a few days later than the previously cancelled appointment.
As you have suggested, Noorah101, perhaps they had a scheduling conflict with the interviewer.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 3:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it wasn't a long wait for a new interview date!

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2019, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

I just wanted to update everyone who has been kind enough to reply or get in touch as well as others who may be looking around for some detail.
I recently had my interview and was approved for citizenship. Everything ran quickly apart from entering through the building. I was mistaken in thinking that because the interview would take place in the USA (not at an embassy on foreign soil) I wouldn't have to go through "airport style" security. Of course we did and had to dump bottles of water etc. The staff were very polite. After going through security we went into a waiting area. My appointment was very early in the morning and I was called back right on time. Again, my other experiences applying for visa's etc were in embassy's abroad so I had encountered long wait times, but that wasn't the case at all here.

Once I was called back everything was done in the same office style room. Fingerprints were taken and I was placed under oath. We did the reading and writing test followed by the civics questions and I got the first 6 right. I had spent time learning and practicing. FWIW, I wouldn't have scored well without studying the booklet. The test is easy, but only if you know the answers. Don't take it for granted. I discussed some dates that I had written on my application and travel outside the US since my application was filed. The officer was very polite and personable and took time with me on a few occasions to discuss some specific parts of my applications. If I had questions the officer took the time to explained things. This was nice. For example, on my application I answered yes to question 23 as I had been given a speeding ticket (apparently this counts as a citation) and had paid a fine. Next the officer discussed with me that some officers regard this as a conviction. My officer described that he didn't feel this way as a conviction is typically reserved for a court of law. However, as a result of indicating a yes answer to question 23, this meant that my application needed to be amended so that question 24 also reflected a "yes" answer: committing an offense.

I was in the interview with the officer for ~40-45 min. The experience was good and the officer did everything he could to explain things and make me feel relaxed and comfortable. At the end I was given ta piece of paper recommending approval for citizenship. Interestingly, on the USCIS website you can view your case status. I looked at this only a couple hours after the interview had concluded and there were two new entries. The first informed me that I had attended my interview and that they would be in touch if they needed anything to help make a decision. The next informed me that my application for citizenship was approved and that the final port is the ceremony. I guess the latter notice means that whatever review needed to be done on my application had been completed.

From application to interview was 4 1/2 months. I am not too sure how long it will be until the naturalization ceremony.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Dec 18th 2019, 9:58 am
Often not so civil...

Welcome to the club Susan!

(and if you get that reference, you're pretty cool )
Old Dec 18th 2019, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Welcome to the club Susan!

(and if you get that reference, you're pretty cool )
You can call me that if it makes you happy!
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

As an update, my oath ceremony is now scheduled for early January. From filling the N400 to naturalization will be 5 months (Denver).

Aside from that, I have a question about the oath ceremony. I assume guests are allowed but this is not stated on the USCIS letter. Has anyone attended an oath ceremony recently that can speak to this?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.