N-400 Boston Success

Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute
Default N-400 Boston Success

Hello All
I guess this thread could be long in either forum as my N-400 application was based on being married to Wendy for 3 years+.
Got up at 330am to make the 730am appointment in Boston and we got into JFK Building at 7am when the doors open. Has enough time to get a muffin and a coffee at Finagle A Bagle just beforehand. Everything went superbly well and the civics questions (which appear to be on a randomized sheet) were probably as simple as they could get - what color are the stripes in the flag? Where's the White House? Who has the power to declare war...?
Rest of the stuff was easy and fine and about an hour later my file was being stamped with approved. Only drawbacks: oath ceremonies are pushed way out past September and parking in the Government Center was $33 for the day. And I did get asked for Wendy's birth certificate (which I had with me - as well as her passport!).
So I'm happy to report a K-1 process which started in April 2003 went via AOS, I-751 etc now is through the N-400 process.... A feeling of relief and anti-climax. The relatives will enjoy the Oath ceremony though!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Boston Success

Congratulations, Alan. Here's hoping the oath ceremony is in time for you to register to vote.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Both Wendy and I are very pleased!
Without British Expats this whole process from K-1 to N-400 would have been virtually indiscernible. Without the practical knowledge in this forum, I'd have struggled to understand what was happening. It may be less stressful not to know, but the risk is failing to cover something. Indeed it was the post from BritChickNYC that got me photocopying bank statements over the last few years. These weren't needed, but putting my wife's original birth certificate in - almost as an afterthought - proved useful as it was requested.
Over the 5 years I been registered the information on the site through the threads has been valuable and nearly always entertaining! So this is just the beginning of the beginning (to paraphrase Mr. Churchill). For me it's the informational aspect of the site that is invaluable - preparation and planning make things easier!
I will obviously still contribute wherever I can and hopefully any assistance I can provide would prove helpful.
Yes, I'd like to be able to vote too....
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
So I'm happy to report a K-1 process which started in April 2003 went via AOS, I-751 etc now is through the N-400 process.
Congratulations! Best wishes to you both.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I will obviously still contribute wherever I can and hopefully any assistance I can provide would prove helpful.
Yes, I'd like to be able to vote too....

I do hope that you will still actively participate. As you noted, the voice of experience is the best guide for those going through this without attorney assistance. In fact, even with attorney assistance it helps since you have a first hand knowledge of what to expect and what should be done.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Alan, and thanks for the great report!

Of course we look forward to your continued contributions--that's what makes the group work.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Alan! We also started my OH's K1 visa in 2003, and he did his N-400 interview in May. He's just waiting on the oath now. He too hopes to get his ceremony in time to vote.

Us old timers have to hang around and tell the newcomers how to do it. Otherwise there wouldn't be anyone to pass the knowledge on to!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

congrats!

good to know that the wheels do eventually turn in Boston though
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello everyone! And thanks for the kind wishes and congratulations. All this long slog ('the bad 'plane journey', as I refer to it) is made worthwhile by that! Lots of familiar names to me.
Even though I've posted only on average once a week since joining, I feel almost that I know you all as personal friends - no-one else but British Expats has helped out in the USA; not because they wouldn't have wanted to but more that just no-one I know has gone through the same 'adventure'. And the average American doesn't even begin to grasp the issues and problems - my first 2 Xmas Eve's in the US were spent in a line at 0300 in the morning outside the JFK Building waiting to submit first AOS forms and then for my second EAD which had gone past the 90 days after NOA.
So all that personal knowledge is invaluable and priceless. Doesn't stop the stress but helps the planning. All the way through (INS at start), USCIS staff has been friendly, helpful, courteous and polite. It's been slow (or appears to be; I guess some will say from I-129 submission in April 2003 to N-400 interview in July 2008 is quick, but the pace has sometimes seemed like continental drift.
Bob - has your I-751 been adjudicated yet? And you're going through Boston too. I know you were waiting. And 40 million posts too!
Ian - I've always admired and been amused by your posts! And always entertained. Keep telling it like it is!
Rete - what can I say? Superlatives aren't enough. Always helpful and providing information
And Noorah (again not sufficient superlatives in my vocabulary!) and to everyone else.
Exponential Mega Karma to you all!
Of course I'll stay around. Got to start whining about the Oaf sorry Oath Ceremony, haven't I?
Once again, thanks for all the support and thanks and have a great weekend! Ours will be!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bob - has your I-751 been adjudicated yet? And you're going through Boston too. I know you were waiting. And 40 million posts too!
I'm still waiting on the I-751, did the finger prints for them back in Jan...would be eligible to apply for citizenship myself in a couple months, but got laid off so can't afford it right now.