My situation...

Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My situation...

Originally Posted by jambey2510
I apologise! Can you answer just the visa ones here? If you have the answers of course! I will begin new threads in due course for the other topics
No need to apologize...you are a new member.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can start the CR-1 process as soon as you have the required copies of your marriage certificate.

If you're planning on having your "main celebration" later, you might be opening a can of worms if only one set of parents is invited to the courthouse ceremony. Personally I'd either invite all parents, or elope and do it totally under the radar.

You can't switch a UK driving licence for a state drivers license, you will have to take the state required drivers ed and/or theory tests for whichever state you are living in then you have to do the road "test" (unless you're in NJ), which depends on the state, but is always much easier than the British driving test, and quite frankly is a complete joke in many states. It is no wonder that the standard of driving in the US is so appaling. You may be asked for your SSN, most states do.

You will be required to obtain a local drivers license within 10-90 days of taking up residence as defined by the state DMV (which has nothing to do with "residence" for IRS/tax, immigration, or any other purpose), depending on what the state allows. This may or may not be realistic, but so long as you have made a start on the process and are waiting for your test appointment you should be OK to drive (carefully).

No doubt JG will be along later to chastise me for writing about drivers licenses in the immigration forum.

Edit: The OP has opened a new thread re driving licenses here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...icense-880301/

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 12th 2016 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So we will get married - can she file the CR-1 forms whilst I'm there?
Yes. She can file the I-130 as soon as you have a copy of the marriage certificate.

Is there a guideline for the whole CR-1 process, with checklist etc of things needed?
Yes. Start here.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been delving into what I'd need to send off to support the CR-1 application... It says proof of a bona fide wedding, if we did a courthouse one in her parents county, we don't even need witnesses and won't have photos, rings, etc... We would have the marriage certificate, photos of us both together in different places and dates, I have flight ticket emails I could print of, we also have letters to each other.. Do these count towards proving your wedding is bona fide? Also, I saw you can have an affidavit too for this, who can this be and what exactly would they need to fill in/say? I just want to get this done without hiccups along the way!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I've been delving into what I'd need to send off to support the CR-1 application... It says proof of a bona fide wedding, if we did a courthouse one in her parents county, we don't even need witnesses and won't have photos, rings, etc... We would have the marriage certificate, photos of us both together in different places and dates, I have flight ticket emails I could print of, we also have letters to each other.. Do these count towards proving your wedding is bona fide? Also, I saw you can have an affidavit too for this, who can this be and what exactly would they need to fill in/say? I just want to get this done without hiccups along the way!
The wedding certificate and some evidence of the longevity of your relationship, which it looks like you already have covered, should be fine. I don't think an affidavit is necessary, and I don't think it would add much to the existence of the marriage certificate.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

The wedding certificate and some evidence of the longevity of your relationship, which it looks like you already have covered, should be fine. I don't think an affidavit is necessary, and I don't think it would add much to the existence of the marriage certificate.
Thank you! I worry a lot as you can tell I just want the process to run smoothly. My fiance is getting a lot warmer to the idea of this process, especially now we know the benefits of doing it this way! We will gather all letters etc that point to a bona fide marriage Would we better to organise letters and photos into a sort of timeline album for their benefit? Also, if we send letters etc, do we get them back? Because we have letters and notes that mean a lot to each other!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I worry a lot as you can tell I just want the process to run smoothly. My fiance is getting a lot warmer to the idea of this process, especially now we know the benefits of doing it this way! We will gather all letters etc that point to a bona fide marriage Would we better to organise letters and photos into a sort of timeline album for their benefit? Also, if we send letters etc, do we get them back? Because we have letters and notes that mean a lot to each other!
A time line is probable a good presentation, but they just need some highlights, not a giant binder of paper and photos - 15-20 letters/emails and a few photos will be fine, and they probably won't look at most of even that much.

Just send copies of anything you want to keep, and take the originals to your interview - which they then won't ask for or look at anyway!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

A time line is probable a good presentation, but they just need some highlights, not a giant binder of paper and photos - 15-20 letters/emails and a few photos will be fine, and they probably won't look at most of even that much.

Just send copies of anything you want to keep, and take the originals to your interview - which they then won't ask for or look at anyway!
Thank you! Will they want written stuff on the photos? Like dates, comments and where etc? Or are just photos enough?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:39 pm

Thank you! Will they want written stuff on the photos? Like dates, comments and where etc? Or are just photos enough? ....
I think it says to annotate the pictures, certainly most people do - dates, places, people, otherwise they're likely a bit meaningless.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

I think it says to annotate the pictures, certainly most people do - dates, places, people, otherwise they're likely a bit meaningless.
Duly noted! Thank you so much for the answers you (and the rest!) have provided me with so far.

It's amazing to chat to a helpful bunch of people, who are helping the fiance and I understand the whole process a bit more, and what we need to do, etc!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 3:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking about evidence to send with the I-130, they are interested in your life together AFTER marriage, so they don't want to see letters or meetings from before you got married. Most newlyweds don't have much in the way of evidence right after marriage, that's where the sworn affidavits are used, written by people who know you after marriage, and have spent time with you as a married couple.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are talking about evidence to send with the I-130, they are interested in your life together AFTER marriage, so they don't want to see letters or meetings from before you got married. Most newlyweds don't have much in the way of evidence right after marriage, that's where the sworn affidavits are used, written by people who know you after marriage, and have spent time with you as a married couple. ....
How does that work if they file for a CR-1 the day after their wedding?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

As above, what does that mean for us?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It means you include whatever you can show as a joint life together after marriage. For some newlyweds, that means only a few sworn affidavits. For some, it means waiting a few days to file the I-130, to give them time to co-mingle some things like bank accounts, household bills, get added to the spouse's insurance or get listed as beneficiary, etc.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 13th 2016 at 5:45 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It says proof of a bona fide wedding...
No, it doesn't... and words have meaning.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.