My Naturilization Interview is Next Week - Advice Please

Wikiposts

My Naturilization Interview is Next Week - Advice Please

Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:07 am
Just Joined

ju421019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Naturalization Interview is Next Week - Advice Please

I passed my interview

I left the house at 9am, appointment was at 11am. I got to the office at 9:30am, waited in the car reviewing the questions till 10am. Entered, was checked by security, sat in the location they pointed at, and waited for my name to be called. There were like 5 other ppl there for the interview also, some were real
nervous, some were confident. I just observed and conversated as necessary.

At 11:40am I was called by this young lady she led me to her desk, she was extremely courteous and kind. She said your
application looks simple and should go fast. I had no criminal history, never been married, no kids. She went over
the application with me. I answered the same as I had on my application, she updated my job history part, since I had quit my job one month back and started another.

She conversated a little about me being born in a different country and holding a different nationality. She then looked at my days out and was surprised they were so few trips, she asked if I had taken any trips other than those, I said no, I had 4 trips. I told her those were during the holidays to visit the family. She asked if I took any cruises, etc. I said not yet.

She then completed the application. Asked me to verify any info that needs to be changed, during the part about the arrest, citation, question,I told her I have a traffic ticket, she's like as long as you satisfied it you dont need to put it there.

Then she asked me to sign my name but she should be able to read the letters in my signature, I tried twice, I told her my cursive is horrible, she's like it is, jokingly, so she's like guys have this problem, she's like just print your name.

Then I believe she had me write a sentence, read one, real simple, like I went to the Post Office.

Then she asked me the history questions, she started with a couple, I don't remember which but from the 100 sample they have, then she kept on going, I answered all of them right, I answered like 13-15, I think she did it for kicks and knew I know the answers but still went ahead with them.

The last questions, she's like ok name the 13 states, I was going to start, she's like forget i don't like that question, she's like name 3 branches of govt for my last one.

She's like you passed, made me sign a couple of documents, not really sign but print, becz my signature was horrible.

Then she's like we have appt for you to take anotehr set of
fingerprints in june, she handed me the appt. Then she's like here is a letter stating that I review your application and
you passed, on the paper it says Congratulations your application is being sent for final approval.

I asked her about the oath, she's like you'll get a letter 3 wks in
advance, she said it could be june/july/august.

I thanked her and left happy.

I was very lucky to have this young woman as my INS lady, she was so nice and kind, she was like in her early 20's, she was awesome.

I have some questions:

1. If I change my job during this time will that be a problem?
2. Did anyone else be asked to have fingerprints taken again after the interview, I know a person in my neighborhood who also went through the same.
3. When do they collect the green card?
4. My fingerprints are june 11, when can I expect the oath?

Help would be appreciated.

thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

viva89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ju421019
I passed my interview

I left the house at 9am, appointment was at 11am. I got to the office at 9:30am, waited in the car reviewing the questions till 10am. Entered, was checked by security, sat in the location they pointed at, and waited for my name to be called. There were like 5 other ppl there for the interview also, some were real
nervous, some were confident. I just observed and conversated as necessary.

At 11:40am I was called by this young lady she led me to her desk, she was extremely courteous and kind. She said your
application looks simple and should go fast. I had no criminal history, never been married, no kids. She went over
the application with me. I answered the same as I had on my application, she updated my job history part, since I had quit my job one month back and started another.

She conversated a little about me being born in a different country and holding a different nationality. She then looked at my days out and was surprised they were so few trips, she asked if I had taken any trips other than those, I said no, I had 4 trips. I told her those were during the holidays to visit the family. She asked if I took any cruises, etc. I said not yet.

She then completed the application. Asked me to verify any info that needs to be changed, during the part about the arrest, citation, question,I told her I have a traffic ticket, she's like as long as you satisfied it you dont need to put it there.

Then she asked me to sign my name but she should be able to read the letters in my signature, I tried twice, I told her my cursive is horrible, she's like it is, jokingly, so she's like guys have this problem, she's like just print your name.

Then I believe she had me write a sentence, read one, real simple, like I went to the Post Office.

Then she asked me the history questions, she started with a couple, I don't remember which but from the 100 sample they have, then she kept on going, I answered all of them right, I answered like 13-15, I think she did it for kicks and knew I know the answers but still went ahead with them.

The last questions, she's like ok name the 13 states, I was going to start, she's like forget i don't like that question, she's like name 3 branches of govt for my last one.

She's like you passed, made me sign a couple of documents, not really sign but print, becz my signature was horrible.

Then she's like we have appt for you to take anotehr set of
fingerprints in june, she handed me the appt. Then she's like here is a letter stating that I review your application and
you passed, on the paper it says Congratulations your application is being sent for final approval.

I asked her about the oath, she's like you'll get a letter 3 wks in
advance, she said it could be june/july/august.

I thanked her and left happy.

I was very lucky to have this young woman as my INS lady, she was so nice and kind, she was like in her early 20's, she was awesome.

I have some questions:

1. If I change my job during this time will that be a problem?
2. Did anyone else be asked to have fingerprints taken again after the interview, I know a person in my neighborhood who also went through the same.
3. When do they collect the green card?
4. My fingerprints are june 11, when can I expect the oath?

Help would be appreciated.

thanks.
Congratulations! You don't have to worry about anything.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

My fingerprints after the interview are scheduled for June 11th, I want to know how long after that shall I expect my oath and how long before I can actually go get a actual U.S. passport

thanks
Old Apr 15th 2004, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Naturilization Interview is Next Week - Advice Please

Originally posted by John Smith
Why did you have to fill out another n-400? Does everyone need to do that
at the interview?

"jaytee" <member6856@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Make sure that you know your route to get to the building. The district
    > buildings seem to be in or near the heart of downtowns of major cities
    > and so you will want to allow extra time for road construction, the
    > usual traffic jams getting into the city, (especially if your
    > appointment is 8:45am). Even if you get there in time, you may not know
    > where to park or where the building is.
    > Mine was in Atlanta, a three
    > hour trek (with traffic congestion) + a 1 hour time difference. So I got
    > up at 3am and left around 4:30. I waited in the waiting area for about
    > 90 minutes. After my interview, I then had to fill out another n-400
    > for another hour. I didn't get out of the building until about 1 in the
    > afternoon. I didn't get back into birmingham until around 3 local time.
    > So, it's a full day. Same thing for the ceremony, except I also got
    > over to the post office to turn in the naturalization certificate (for
    > the passport).
    > There's nothing to it. Once you've met the
    > requirements, it's just putting the work into it to get it done.
    > Originally posted by ju421019
    > > Hi, my N-400
    > Naturilization Interview is on April 8, 2004, I can barely concentrate
    > on anything else and am just worried about the upcoming interview.
    > >
    > >
    > I applied through the 5year step and wanted to ask are the following
    > documents that I should take:
    > >
    > > - Green Card
    > > - Passports
    > > - SSN
    > Card
    > > - Selective Service Card
    > > - Past 3 yr Tax Returns
    > > - Interview
    > Letter
    > > - Copy of my application
    > >
    > >
    > > Secondly, I am memorizing the
    > 100 questions for the exam too from the INS Website.
    > >
    > > Lastly, I had
    > a traffic ticket, which I did not know had to be listed on the
    > application and have received mixed responses. I thought Question 16
    > referred to the Criminal Citiations. Thus, I selected "NO", I did
    > receive one traffic ticket for crossing a red light. I paid and
    > satisfied all requirements. I tried to get a copy of the ticket but my
    > Clerk's Office only keeps the citations for one year, so I went to their
    > website and printed out a status of my ticket which shows it's
    > satifised. I called the Clerk's Office to see if they can send me a
    > letter, they said they can't do that and the website printing should be
    > enough. I then e-mailed them and a lady replied saying that the ticket
    > was satisfied which I have also printed.
    > >
    > > So I am going to take
    > those documentations to the office also, should I bring up the ticket
    > when they run through Question 16 or just let it go?
    > >
    > > Any input to
    > calm me down would be appreciated. I am educated person who's getting
    > his Masters degree, but yet I am memorizing the 100 questions like a
    > little school girl, because I am so nervous. I can barely eat, go to
    > work, or sleep, in anticipation of the interview.
    > >
    > > Any positive
    > input/feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. And lastly, I will go
    > in a suit and tie to the interview.
    > >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
OHHHH.. Why did I have to fill out another one? Why did I have to fill out another one???

Good question! That's just the way the USCIS works (or doesn't work). They lost the original file (that is the "A-file" or alien file that includes the n-400 application). The way it was explained to me at the interview by my interviewing officer was "We sent out an official request for the file to be transferred from the Service Center to our district office. It should have been here BEFORE the interview. I will put in another official request for your A-file. You could try contacting the service center yourself and ask them where your A-file is." I was then asked to take a seat and fill out another one from scratch while the next interview was conducted. There were some things I could not remember exactly so I just filled it out as best as I could, but the idea was that the officer would put the two together when the original arrived. 6 months later I got some correspondence from my officer to say she'd finally got the a-file and then a few weeks later a phone call to say they didn't have the photographs. I sent another set.

So, I remember reading on the USCIS website all that bullshit about how they're constantly working to improve efficiency and the timeframe is 6-9 months for this type of case. That was before I called the NCSC (National Customer Service Center) and was told that they can do nothing because the case is within the "time guideline of 2 years for this type of case" and got on britishexpats.com and saw that many others were waiting over a year.

I tracked down and fixed the real reason for the delay. My officer was sending one request per month for the file to the service center. The system at the service center received the requests and totally ignored them because they were improperly submitted. The service center had switched to a new system of receiving official requests via email and no one seemed to have told the district office. (Hence, my file sat collecting dust at the service center)

Bottom line is the USCIS does not know its head from its ass, BUT they will probably get your case processed within 2 years.

ps. do you understand this now? your file has to get to your interview officer before your interview or your oath can't be scheduled.

Last edited by jaytee; Apr 15th 2004 at 12:36 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 9:36 am
Just Joined

I dont know what your talking about , I think you posted in the wrong thread.

Originally posted by jaytee
OHHHH.. Why did I have to fill out another one? Why did I have to fill out another one???

Good question! That's just the way the USCIS works or doesn't work. They lost the file. The way it was explained to me at the interview was "We sent out an official request for the file to be transferred to our office. It should have been here BEFORE the interview. I will put in another official request for your A-file. You could try contacting the service center yourself and ask them where your A-file is." I was then asked to take a seat and fill out another one from scratch while the next interview was conducted. There were some things I could not remember exactly so I just filled it out as best as I could, but the idea was that the officer would put the two together when the original arrived. 6 months later I got some correspondence from my officer to say she'd finally got the a-file and then a few weeks later a phone call to say they didn't have the photographs. I sent another set.

So, I remember reading all that bullshit about how they're constantly working to improve efficiency and the timeframe is 6-9 months for this type of case. That was before I called the hotline and was told each time that they can do nothing because the case is within the "time guideline of 2 years for this type of case" and got on here and saw that many others were waiting over a year.

Bottom line is they don't know their head from their ass, BUT they will probably get your case processed within 2 years.

I tracked down and fixed the real reason for the delay. My officer was sending one request per month for the file to the service center. The system at the service center received the requests and totally ignored them because they were improperly submitted. The service center had switched to a new system of receiving official requests via email and no one seemed to have told the district office.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ju421019
I dont know what your talking about , I think you posted in the wrong thread.

I'm talking about the USCIS losing my file, but don't worry! It probably won't happen to you.