Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is my mother in law loosing it?? Someone please help!!!

Is my mother in law loosing it?? Someone please help!!!

Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my mother in law loosing it?? Someone please help!!!

I just got off the phone with my husband and he gave me the great news. My mother in law would like to come live in the U.S. also!!!! This is unbelievable, not that I don't like her, but after living in Spain for 3 years and her no quite treating me so good (because I took her little boy away from her), now she decides she wants to come here??? She's separated and has no other family in Spain (she is from Denmark), so I think that's why she wants to do it, that or either she can't handle being away from her son. I don't know, so now she's asking me how she can get her green card!!!!

From what I understand I can not petition for her, right? And the only way my husband can petition for her is only after he has had the green card for a couple of years, I think? Well, if anybody could clear this up, that way I can tell her that it is not that easy. I guess my next question is are there any other ways she can get a green card?

Thanks ahead for any responses.....
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my mother in law loosing it?? Someone please help!!!

From what I understand I can not petition for her, right? And the only way my husband can petition for her is only after he has had the green card for a couple of years, I think? Well, if anybody could clear this up, that way I can tell her that it is not that easy. I guess my next question is are there any other ways she can get a green card?

Ummm... he can, when he gets citizenship...should give you 5 years of peace...(lol)
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Ummm... he can, when he gets citizenship...should give you 5 years of peace...(lol)
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Waterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Michi
I just got off the phone with my husband and he gave me the great news. My mother in law would like to come live in the U.S. also!!!! This is unbelievable, not that I don't like her, but after living in Spain for 3 years and her no quite treating me so good (because I took her little boy away from her), now she decides she wants to come here??? She's separated and has no other family in Spain (she is from Denmark), so I think that's why she wants to do it, that or either she can't handle being away from her son. I don't know, so now she's asking me how she can get her green card!!!!

Hi Michi,

Here's the eligibility - short and sweet...

Who is Eligible to Sponsor a Parent?
If you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old, you are eligible to petition to bring your parents to live and work permanently in the United States.

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible to petition to bring your parents to live and work permanently in the United States.

I don't think there is any way to sponsor her until your husband becomes a citizen. As of the other ways to get a visa, there are work (H1B) and investors (E2) visas (they both fall into non-immigrant visa category) and visa lottery.
Good luck!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got off the phone with my husband and he gave me the great news. My mother in law would like to come live in the U.S. also!!!! This is unbelievable, not that I don't like her, but after living in Spain for 3 years and her no quite treating me so good (because I took her little boy away from her), now she decides she wants to come here???
If the mountain won't come to Mohammed......
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
If the mountain won't come to Mohammed......

Tee hee hee hee.....

Michi,

She sounds like a very spoiled woman. She is about to get a reality check she wouldn't believe.

Good luck.

Leslie
Old Dec 10th 2003, 4:18 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Almost sounds like she's asking you to save her a spot in the middle of your marriage bed. *LOL*
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess my next question is are there any other ways she can get a green card?
the lottery ?

Hopefully, she won't be p'd off too much about the wait and try convincing her son to stay in Spain and have you move there....

Caroline
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:47 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I'd find it really hard to be in your situation. My husband's mother died this year after a lengthy illness. It wasn't possible for me to meet her. His father died just shortly after we met. Who knows whether they would have accepted me into their family but I wish I'd had the chance to find out.

CB
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh no, I've already lived there for 3 1/2 years with my husband, and after long talks and a lot of begging and convincing he accepted to moving to the U.S., so I guess she's just going to have to accept reality and wait if she really wants to live here, or try the visa lottery. (it's kind of a relief for me, lol, that sounds so mean) But hey, she can come visit whenever she wants

Originally posted by Caro
the lottery ?

Hopefully, she won't be p'd off too much about the wait and try convincing her son to stay in Spain and have you move there....

Caroline
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

(it's kind of a relief for me, lol, that sounds so mean)
Tell the truth and shame the devil!!!!!

I'm sure that she contributed to your feeling that way.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Leslie,

And oh boy did she contribute, I wasn't allowed in her house when my husband and me were newlyweds, she got mad the day she found out I was pregnant/she didn't come see me in the hospital the day my son was born, etc, etc, the list goes on..... BUT that's a whole other subject.

Originally posted by Leslie66
Tell the truth and shame the devil!!!!!

I'm sure that she contributed to your feeling that way.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:04 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Leslie,

And oh boy did she contribute, I wasn't allowed in her house when my husband and me were newlyweds, she got mad the day she found out I was pregnant/she didn't come see me in the hospital the day my son was born, etc, etc, the list goes on..... BUT that's a whole other subject.

Ouch Michi, I can't imagine how terrible you must feel having been through that!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I've already lived there for 3 1/2 years with my husband,
OMG, Michi! why didn't you file your I-130 in Spain?!
hmmm, maybe the M-I-L had something to do with 'getting out of here as fast as you can', heheh. BTW, yes, she's losing it. Best of luck!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I didn't file for the I-130 before because my husband wasn't quite "ready" to move to the U.S. He has a printing shop and business was going good. AND yes of course, the M-I-L had lots to do with it.

Originally posted by meauxna
OMG, Michi! why didn't you file your I-130 in Spain?!
hmmm, maybe the M-I-L had something to do with 'getting out of here as fast as you can', heheh. BTW, yes, she's losing it. Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.