Reload this Page >

My London Embassy Experience + a quick question

My London Embassy Experience + a quick question

Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:44 am
Just Joined

gv4361 is on a distinguished road
Default My London Embassy Experience + a quick question

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time reader of this forum in getting my K1 application together, so thought I should give something back and tell you of my experience at the embassy yesterday. Hope this comes in useful for anyone who has their interview soon...

So my appointment was at 8am, so I arrived at the embassy at around 7.30. If you're arriving by train, the best stop to get off is Marble Arch. Although google maps tells you the quickest walk from there to the embassy is via Park St, don't do this. Walk slightly further up Oxford St, and turn on to N Audley St. This is the most direct route to where you need to be. I got there and was asked to join the queue, which at this point had maybe 30 people in it. A lady came donwn the line asking us to put all metal items into the bag we were carrying or a small see through bag they provided. IMPORTANT NOTE: they do not allow any electronic devices in there. A lot of people in the line were caught out with this as they had their car keys which had the electronic fob attached. Unfortunately I had left my earphones in my coat pocket which was also not allowed. In this situation we were told there was a pharmacy 2 minutes down the road that will hold the items for £3 per item. Once I got to the front of the queue I had to provide my passport and appointment letter and was then ushered into the security room which was essentially airport style security (bag scanner + metal detector).

I was now in the building and gave the receptionist my appointment letter, She attached a sticker with I907 on. Appointments for the day started at I900, so I didn't think I had too long to wait. I then went into the waiting area until my number was called. N numbers seemed to fly thorugh whereas my I numbers were taking longer to be called. When my number was called I went up to the window and was asked to hand over my passport, police certificate + copy and birth certificate + copy. I was then given a cd with the results of my chest x-ray from the medical. I then had to put all my fingers on the electronic scanner machine and finally hand over my affdvit of support (I-134 form). MY American fiancee had provided me with her bank statments, tax returns, payslips, letter from her employer with her salary shown, engagment ring insurance form.... Turns out that all I had to provide was the letter from her employer. All that other info is used in the adjustment of status phase. Another thing...I had spent quite a bit of money on getting 3 passport photos to DoS standards (i.e 50mm x 50mm) as required. Turns out I didn't need any of them. Because I had attached ordinary passport photos to my DS-230 pt1 forms I prevoisuly retured, apparently that was all that was needed. And the DS-230 pt2 was not needed at all for the fiancee visa. I brought it with me as told but was never asked to produce it. So the lady took all this information away and asked me to take a seat before my number was called again.

About 30 mins later I was called to anther window where I had my interview. I was asked to raise my right hand and swear everything I had provided was the truth. The questions I was then asked were, what's your fiancees name?, how did you meet?, how long ago was this?, how long have you been together?, what does she do for a job?. how often do you see each other?, and why are you choosing to move there instead of her moving here? That was it. After this he said we're approving your visa. I was given back my police and birth certificate orignials and they held on to the passport. I was told that this would be returned by courier in the next 7 days with an envelope that clearly states 'do not open'. I was told that I had to provide my passport, this envelope (unopened of course) and the cd of the chest xray to the immigration officials at the airport. That was it!

I went back into the waiting area where there's a couriere service desk. I explained that I worked during the week and they said that as long as the person signing for it has a photocopy of some id of mine, they could take it. They said I could track the progress online and that they would endevour to text me the night before it was due to arrive. For extra cost there are the option of delivery before 8am, 10am and 12noon. I payed the fee I needed by visa and that was it. I left the embassy with the visa approved! Just waiting to get my passport back now.

Sorry, that was all a bit long winded, but hope it's of use to some of you.

A quick question I was hoping someone could help with....Looking at flights now, I'v noticed that on-way tickets are almost doubl the price of a return. I have no idea why but they are. Is it possible to just buy a retuen and not use the second half. I know airlines aren't too keen on that, but I was wondering if anything immigration-wise prevented me from travelling on a fiancee visa with a return flight? Thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My London Embassy Experience + a quick question

Originally Posted by gv4361
That was it. After this he said we're approving your visa.
Excellent! Well done.

Is it possible to just buy a retuen and not use the second half.
Yes - that's what most people do. Feel free to ignore any posters who would argue that you're violating airline regulations.

I was wondering if anything immigration-wise prevented me from travelling on a fiancee visa with a return flight?
No, nothing at all.

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

I booked a return flight when I flew out on my Fiancee Visa back in 2011, no issues with the pre-flight checks at Manchester airport and certainly no issues with immigration at ATL. I phoned Delta and told them I wouldn't be using the return portion of my flight and they gave me some of the cost back as an account credit. Hope that helps
Lx

Last edited by BubbleChog; Jan 26th 2013 at 11:53 am. Reason: fixed quote
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Oregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant futureOregon Bound has a brilliant future

Congratulations
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Single tickets are invariably more expensive for several reasons, the prime one being that the airlines remain responsible for returning you to the originating country if you are refused immigration clearance.

Just buy a return and schedule the second flight for as far in advance as the airline allows. Id you dont lose it you havent lost anything..
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

When they say £3 'per item' would a rucksack constitute a single item?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:43 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gv4361
A quick question I was hoping someone could help with....Looking at flights now, I'v noticed that on-way tickets are almost doubl the price of a return. I have no idea why but they are. Is it possible to just buy a retuen and not use the second half. I know airlines aren't too keen on that, but I was wondering if anything immigration-wise prevented me from travelling on a fiancee visa with a return flight? Thanks!
When you immigrate to the US, you are allowed to leave, and technically, I think your visa is not even an immigrant visa, you can have whatever flight ticket you want.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Single tickets are invariably more expensive for several reasons, the prime one being that the airlines remain responsible for returning you to the originating country if you are refused immigration clearance.
If you buy a return they are returning you to your originating country as well. There is no extra cost to them, than if immigration send you back. You can be refused entry on either a single or return ticket. That is not a reason single tickets are more expensive. The prime reason is those who buy them are willing to pay the higher cost for some reason, and the load management software is written to extract the maximum revenue for a flight possible.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 26th 2013 at 4:04 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
When you immigrate to the US, you are allowed to leave, and technically, I think your visa is not even an immigrant visa, you can have whatever flight ticket you want.
The OP has a K-1 visa, so you are right, it's a non-immigrant visa, and you're right, he's allowed to leave the USA if he wants. However, if he marries and files AOS, but leaves the USA before having AP in hand, he will abandon the AOS process and will have to start over with an immigrant visa.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your story, congratulations.

Buy a return flight ticket if it is cheaper. No one will come looking for you if you don't eventually use the return trip.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

i booked a return ticket - it was valid for a year and i thought i would somehow use the return portion - in the end i didnt but i did phone the airline to explain the situation and to say that i was cancelling the return portion of my ticket - they were really fine about it and grateful i called
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Many travellers buy a return and just do not use the return portion. Standard practice ! What is the airline going to do to you ?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing "technical" about it - it's a nonimmigrant visa that permits a 90-day stay in the USA (if entry is granted by CBP). The K1 visa does carry the assumption that the visa holder will immigrate, but it is in no way an immigrant visa.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by kimilseung
technically, I think your visa is not even an immigrant visa,
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

aish84 is an unknown quantity at this point

To GV4361- Congratulations!
My husband has his interview this month, I filed my 2009,2010, 2011 tax returns in dec however i fogot to get a copy of them, Was advised by the IRS it takes 8-12 weeks to process. However when i filed my 2012 tax returns at the IRS in London i did obtain a copy with their stamp on it. So my question is did they ask u for just for your most recent tax return?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

spongechica1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for your info the CD that they have given you with your Xray details on is not needed for anything. As discussed in previous topics they dont request it when you arrive in the USA. I brought it and the Officer looked at me as if I was stupid for bringing it. I had my AOS interview today (which I got approved once i have my Vaccs updated) and the guy wasn't interested inthe CD. Take it with you but dont worry when the Immigration officer doesn't take your CD - it happened to all of us.

PS good luck with everything in the US. Ive been here 4 months tomorrow and its quite easy to get homesick. If you need any advice were here to help. I have just gone through the same process you did so know exactly what you will be going through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.