Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My Friend married an American but they do not make enough Money

My Friend married an American but they do not make enough Money

Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:29 am
Just Joined

The-edges is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Friend married an American but they do not make enough Money

A friend of mine is Russian and just got married to an American woman. They are both going to school and work part-time. He is here on a student visa which I help sponsor financially. He would like to get a green card but since they do not meet the minimum financial requirements they can't file. Is there a way that I can help them by offering financial support? If so what forms will we need to file? Thanks!
Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Friend married an American but they do not make enough Money

Originally Posted by The-edges
A friend of mine is Russian and just got married to an American woman. They are both going to school and work part-time. He is here on a student visa which I help sponsor financially. He would like to get a green card but since they do not meet the minimum financial requirements they can't file. Is there a way that I can help them by offering financial support? If so what forms will we need to file? Thanks!
Hi:

AmCit spouse must file an I-864. If it is not sufficient, then a "co-sponsor" can file an I-864.

Make sure you want to do this -- potentially, an I-864 obligation can be a lifetime committment.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The-edges
I864a

You can be their co-sponsor.

I take it that your are resident in the US.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I864a

You can be their co-sponsor.

I take it that your are resident in the US.

I believe unless he/she lives with the couple, then she/he files a separate I-864. He/she must earn enough or have enough assets to cover a family his size plus the Russian friend.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
I believe unless he/she lives with the couple, then she/he files a separate I-864. He/she must earn enough or have enough assets to cover a family his size plus the Russian friend.
Hi:

Concur.