Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My family and I got our green cards, accept for my son!

Wikiposts

My family and I got our green cards, accept for my son!

Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:34 am
Just Joined

debrajulia1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My family and I got our green cards, accept for my son!

Hi peeps,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience as me. My husband, my two children and I have all received our green cards, however my 17 year old son has not. Naturally all the paperwork was filed together, our attorney's got through to the USCIS only to be told to call back in 30 days! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks.

Debra
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My family and I got our green cards, accept for my son!

Originally Posted by debrajulia1966
Hi peeps,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience as me. My husband, my two children and I have all received our green cards, however my 17 year old son has not. Naturally all the paperwork was filed together, our attorney's got through to the USCIS only to be told to call back in 30 days! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks.

Debra

Did you each get a welcome letter from the USCIS telling you that your card was being sent? What did your status update say on the USCIS site for your son's green card?

It happens quite often that family applications are separated. Do each an eye on this and hound the USCIS/your attorney.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:51 am
Just Joined

"Did you each get a welcome letter from the USCIS telling you that your card was being sent? What did your status update say on the USCIS site for your son's green card?

It happens quite often that family applications are separated. Do each an eye on this and hound the USCIS/your attorney."

Thanks for your reply. Well we each got an email from Trackitt stating that our card had been ordered, then the welcome notice via post, then we received the cards in less than 5 days. My son didn't receive any of the above and the trackitt website states that his case is "pending". Believe me my husband has tried to get through to the USCIS, but to no avail, he just keeps get cut off!!! lol .... typical! lol The attorney has said that they'll contact the USCIS again in 30 days, it's just a waiting game! Oh what joy!!!!! All I can say is what a lousy system, you would think that with all the computer technology they'd be able to track his case and get moving on it!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

"Did you each get a welcome letter from the USCIS telling you that your card was being sent? What did your status update say on the USCIS site for your son's green card?

It happens quite often that family applications are separated. Do each an eye on this and hound the USCIS/your attorney."

Thanks for your reply. Well we each got an email from Trackitt stating that our card had been ordered, then the welcome notice via post, then we received the cards in less than 5 days. My son didn't receive any of the above and the trackitt website states that his case is "pending". Believe me my husband has tried to get through to the USCIS, but to no avail, he just keeps get cut off!!! lol .... typical! lol The attorney has said that they'll contact the USCIS again in 30 days, it's just a waiting game! Oh what joy!!!!! All I can say is what a lousy system, you would think that with all the computer technology they'd be able to track his case and get moving on it!!!!
similar thing happened with our EAD cards. Me and my 2 kids renewed ours and I got mine and my sons back within 3 weeks, our younger daughter's is still pending and could take another month....no rhyme or reason!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisa67
similar thing happened with our EAD cards. Me and my 2 kids renewed ours and I got mine and my sons back within 3 weeks, our younger daughter's is still pending and could take another month....no rhyme or reason!!
Crazy innit Lisa! lol ..... guess it's just a job for the USCIS, but for us ... well it's only our life/future! lol .... ideally I want my son to have his green card cause I've got to look at getting him signed up for college, and he can't get student loans unless he's a permanent resident!!! lol .... oh don't u just love the US of A!!! lol x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Trackitt sends you emails about your case? You know that is not an official site, right?

Sorry you don't like the system. But your son is a Permanent Resident--he doesn't need the card to 'be' one. Don't forget to remind the kids to sign up for Selective Service when it's time.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Trackitt sends you emails about your case? You know that is not an official site, right?

Sorry you don't like the system. But your son is a Permanent Resident--he doesn't need the card to 'be' one. Don't forget to remind the kids to sign up for Selective Service when it's time.
Hi there, this is the website that my husband uses/used for our application updates: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp

Isn't it the case that my son signs up for Selective Service via his high school? He is 18 in May.

Thanks!
Debra
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There you go, that's the one.
trackitt is something else.

The school may have the forms & information.. I thought it was at the post office to sign up, but these new fangled days I think everything can be done online: www.sss.gov
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
There you go, that's the one.
trackitt is something else.

The school may have the forms & information.. I thought it was at the post office to sign up, but these new fangled days I think everything can be done online: www.sss.gov
Yep, my son's school does automatic filing for them. Thanks for your info!

Debra
x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure her son is a PR yet, Meauxna. His case is pending and has not yet to be decided. If this is true then he is not a PR and lets hope he doesn't end up the way of Elvira's son.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... he can't get student loans unless he's a permanent resident!
While I understand what you're saying... to be pedantic, he can't get federal (and possibly state) student loans unless he's a PR. There are other college/university loans available.

Ian
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

More become available if his PR parents co-sign too.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While I understand what you're saying... to be pedantic, he can't get federal (and possibly state) student loans unless he's a PR. There are other college/university loans available.

Ian
Well I would like him to receive state/federal loans as opposed to college/uni loans. Also I know that he is not a PR yet, he's case is still pending. It's just the waiting game that I'm playing now ... and to be honest I don't like playing this game! lol .... still if he gets refused, then we'll all go back to the UK, no biggy really! lol It would be pretty daft reallly if we all got the green card and they refused his!!! Then again nothing would surprise me!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm not sure her son is a PR yet, Meauxna. His case is pending and has not yet to be decided. If this is true then he is not a PR and lets hope he doesn't end up the way of Elvira's son.
So wot the heck happened to Elvira's son???
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Rete
Well, I'm not sure, and they aren't either! Relying on the online notification, especially when the whole family's cases have been approved, isn't very... well, reliable. They should check with their lawyer.
It would be a shame to be strung out as long as E's son was, that's for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.