Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Wikiposts

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: .: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Originally Posted by chris197337
I had a joint sponsor. The only part of the process I found difficult was "I am the only joint sponsor" didn't make sense but had to be the most appropriate box.
Just to clear up this confusion: If there is more than 1 immigrant, there can be more than 1 joint sponsor. If there is only 1 immigrant, there can be only 1 joint sponsor. That's why that option is on the I-864.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:11 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

And, some people need to understand that having a joint sponsor does not make the sponsor 1 of 2 joint sponsors. The sponsor is always the sponsor, never a joint sponsor.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just to clear up this confusion: If there is more than 1 immigrant, there can be more than 1 joint sponsor. If there is only 1 immigrant, there can be only 1 joint sponsor. That's why that option is on the I-864.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Rene
I appreciate this, but it's still grammatically incorrect for such an important form and was the only element that I had to think twice about.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate this, but it's still grammatically incorrect for such an important form...
The I-864 can't be taken in isolation. The I-864 instructions are pretty clear about 1st and 2nd joint sponsors. When people don't get all the required information... well, that's when there's confusion.

Ian
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Forms are not written by English teachers. On the other hand, most readers of forms wouldn't know good grammar if they saw it and use lousy grammar themselves.

As Ian pointed out, the instructions explain what is being asked for. Read them.

Regards, JEff

I appreciate this, but it's still grammatically incorrect for such an important form and was the only element that I had to think twice about.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Forms are not written by English teachers. On the other hand, most readers of forms wouldn't know good grammar if they saw it and use lousy grammar themselves.

As Ian pointed out, the instructions explain what is being asked for. Read them.

Regards, JEff
I did and it was all straightforward. I'm just saying that was the only part which I found confusing, one box to tick (check).
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:49 am

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards, JEff

I did and it was all straightforward. I'm just saying that was the only part which I found confusing, one box to tick (check).
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: .: MY CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Rich, that's an awesome post, thank you so much for your diligence!!

I changed the subject line just a bit to add "DCF" since that's a common search term when the I-130 is filed directly in the UK.

Thanks again!!
Rene
Thanks Rene,

Very good point; I neglected to include DCF in the title which could cause some confusion. If someone created a similar post in respect of their experience of filing within USA though, we'd have a more complete picture

Would it be useful to include some of this in the BE Community Wiki, or perhaps some of the documents and links I've included? Not sure how to do that exactly, but I'll leave it to your discretion if you think it would be helpful to others.

Kind Regards,
Rich.

Last edited by richbogle84; Mar 28th 2013 at 2:53 am.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

Very good post, thanks for the mine of information. I was surprised though, to see that your CR1 visa expires on 21st July, I thought they were valid for 6 months after issue!

Could anyone clarify this?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

Just had a look back at your timeline- It seems to be 6 months from your medical... didn't know this was standard procedure.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monfed
Just had a look back at your timeline- It seems to be 6 months from your medical... didn't know this was standard procedure.
It's a recent change.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:11 am
Just Joined

londondude is an unknown quantity at this point

looking at your timeline I am wondering: do you have to wait until you attended the medical to submit the DS 2001 and DS 230 ? or could you have done that before the medical?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londondude
... do you have to wait until you attended the medical to submit the DS 2001 and DS 230 ?
No. You can send them off ahead of time as long as you have your medical booked and you aren't sending them off too soon ahead of the medical.

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:49 pm
GC Holder

JeremyK is an unknown quantity at this point

@richbogle84

Just wanted to post my thanks for posting all the info you have in the original post. Our situation is very similar to your own, so it is invaluable.

Jeremy.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londondude
looking at your timeline I am wondering: do you have to wait until you attended the medical to submit the DS 2001 and DS 230 ? or could you have done that before the medical?
Hi Mate,

No, as Ian has explained you can send them off ahead of time as long as you have your medical booked and you aren't sending them off too far in advance of the medical.

I chose to delay sending my DS-230 and DS-2001 forms though, until I was sure they had received my medical results from the Knightsbridge Doctors. My reasoning was that if they get my DS forms first, then they'd likely just get put aside in a pile with the others to wait for the corresponding medical results. If however they already have the medical results when they receive the DS forms, they can go ahead and process my application, and set up an interview date without delay.

Obviously, I cannot be 100% sure that this made one iota of difference, but compared with the timelines others have shared on this forum, it seems we got an interview date very quickly. In fact we got through the whole process very quickly by comparison -- our CR-1 Visa was approved exactly four months from date of posting Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative to USCIS in London

Rich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.