Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

MSC- Security Check Area?

MSC- Security Check Area?

Old Dec 6th 2003, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Taisao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MSC- Security Check Area?

I just got a call from Senator office that my file is in Security Check Area and nothing they can do about it. My question is how long does it take to clear?. I live in the US and my wife from Vietnam.
Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2003, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

goldrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MSC- Security Check Area?

Originally posted by Taisao
I just got a call from Senator office that my file is in Security Check Area and nothing they can do about it. My question is how long does it take to clear?. I live in the US and my wife from Vietnam.
Thanks
I read on 1 of Mr. Matthew Udall's post that if you or your spouse had prior arrest(s), your file is sure to get an IBIS hit and sent for security screening. Also, if somebody else with your's or your wife's name/birthdate has been arrested, your file will get an IBIS hit.

The time it takes to clear security check varies on factors such as how soon does the officer contact the related agency to get more information on the hit, how soon does that agency provide it to the officer, how soon does the officer review the new info and make a decision, was it really you or your spouse that had problems or someone with your's or wife's name/birthdate had problems, and how severe is the nature of hit (if your last name is Bin Laden, it could mean longer time to clear, but if it was someone with your's or your wife's name/birhtdate who got into trouble, it could mean shorter time to clear, if it becomes apparent to the officer that its not you or your spouse). The security check could also be due to prior possible immigration problems for you or your wife, not necessarily just crimes, misdemeanors, or suspected activities.

Please don't quote me on the following timeline as I am not 100% sure, but it can take anywhere from 6 months to more than couple years to clear the file.

I wish you the best.

Last edited by goldrush; Dec 6th 2003 at 3:37 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Taisao is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the repply. But this is really frustrating. I never had any criminal record and my wife also. I live in the small town for 16 years and work for a company for 11 years. If I hire a lawyer, do you think it may help?. I can't wait for another 6 months.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 12:12 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

I do not think it is specific to IBIS hits that an application may end up in a security check area. It can indeed be that either yourself or your spouse has a name similar to one that is flagged on the system. Alternatively it may be to do with the country that the beneficiary is coming from.
I'm not sure if Vietnam is one of those countries but with past history it may be. There are others on this NG who's fiance comes from Vietnam so maybe they can throw more light on the subject.

As for timeframes, I don't think there is much you can do other than sit and wait.
I don't believe a lawyer can expediate this situation, but it certainly may be worth your while, if nothing else, to at least consult with a GOOD immigration lawyer and see what they advise.

Good luck