Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US and visa worries...

Moving to the US and visa worries...

Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US and visa worries...

Originally Posted by hobbes79
We applied for a UK spouse visa for my wife in early '06 while in the US. From mailing her passport with the application and fee, she got it back from the British Embassy with visa in place, in a little over a week.

It really is rather insane! I think it takes a touch longer now, but still, nothing all really.
It takes around 2 weeks these days, 31 days at the most or there abouts, some mandate about it or other.

Can't do it while you wait either anymore though, but that would get you a result in 4-6 hours.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Paul M B is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember that my Wife got hers on the day of the appointment. She had travelled down to LA with her sister and a friend for a road trip and was very surprised at being told to come back in a few hours to pick it up after the interview.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone. So we are now starting to get everything organised together in anticipation for the initial petition with the I-130 and i have a couple of new questions if anyone can help.

-We are a little confused over the sponshorship forms. Does my Wife fill one in regardless and then if we need it, which we do, get another financial sponser?
-I see this police certificate keep coming up. Is this a CRB check?
-Is the medical to get my vaccinations or to see if im healthy and up to date with them? If its the latter then im guessing i should start getting up to date with them as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul M B
-We are a little confused over the sponshorship forms. Does my Wife fill one in regardless and then if we need it, which we do, get another financial sponser?
Yes. Your wife needs to fill out an I-864 even if she doesn't qualify. The joint sponsor will fill out a separate I-864. If your wife is using the income from one of her own household members, that household member will complete an I-864a, not an I-864.

-I see this police certificate keep coming up. Is this a CRB check?
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Police_Certificates

-Is the medical to get my vaccinations or to see if im healthy and up to date with them? If its the latter then im guessing i should start getting up to date with them as soon as possible.
The medical is to check to see if you're healthy, and if you have all the vaccinations you need. If you don't, you can get them from your own doctor, it will be less expensive. I believe there is a blood test and a TB test, and perhaps a chest x-ray.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information so far. I have an instructional book to help me along the way with this process but one thing is that it also throws up a lot of options for me to think about and this is my main one.

I have a choice between a K1 and a K3 visa. Has anyone got any advice for me about which to choose?

I really appreciate all the information and help i am being given on here.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information so far. I have an instructional book to help me along the way with this process but one thing is that it also throws up a lot of options for me to think about and this is my main one.

I have a choice between a K1 and a K3 visa. Has anyone got any advice for me about which to choose?

I really appreciate all the information and help i am being given on here.

Thanks,
Paul
You do not have the option of a K-1 visa. The K-1 visa is a fiance visa and is only available to unmarried couples. You are married.

Your two choices are the K-3 non-immigrant visa, or the IR-1 Immigrant Visa (You won't have a CR-1 because you've been married more than 2 years). Between those 2 choices, the Immigrant Visa is by far the better one.

Never mind the K-3, and just go directly for the Immigrant Visa.

Also be careful about following an instructional book. It could very well be outdated, as things change with USCIS pretty quickly. Always check www.uscis.gov for the most current information.

Rene
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Oh sorry that was my mistake. I meant IR-1 and not K1. Thats what i get for typing and talking to someone at the same time.

I bought a NOLO guide and it is a lot of help but i am also making sure to follow the USCIS site closely along with it. It actually advises to do that as things can change so frequently.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:08 pm

Oh sorry that was my mistake. I meant IR-1 and not K1. Thats what i get for typing and talking to someone at the same time.

I bought a NOLO guide and it is a lot of help but i am also making sure to follow the USCIS site closely along with it. It actually advises to do that as things can change so frequently.
Cool. Go for the IR-1.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

The G-325A is starting to frustrate me a little as there isnt enough space in the boxes to fill in all the required information. In the employment box if i list every break in employment and job i have had in the past five years i need way more space than it gives and it also wont give me enough room to put in my employers full addresses. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:32 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

The G-325A is starting to frustrate me a little as there isnt enough space in the boxes to fill in all the required information. In the employment box if i list every break in employment and job i have had in the past five years i need way more space than it gives and it also wont give me enough room to put in my employers full addresses. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Print it out and fill it in by hand, and list any extra information that doesn't fit on the form on a separate sheet.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Print it out and fill it in by hand, and list any extra information that doesn't fit on the form on a separate sheet.

~ Jenney
Exactly what Jenney said. Whatever doesn't fit on the fillable page, print by hand. Use a separate sheet if you have further information.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Would it be a good idea to print out another copy and just fill in the extra information where i couldnt before or literally just get a sheet of paper and attach it? I just dont want to get anything wrong and have to do it all again.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:46 pm

Would it be a good idea to print out another copy and just fill in the extra information where i couldnt before or literally just get a sheet of paper and attach it? I just dont want to get anything wrong and have to do it all again.
Just literally get a blank sheet of paper. At the top of the page, write your name, the form name (G-325A), and the question number you are answering.

Write the continuation of your answer, and staple it to the back of the G-325A.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just literally get a blank sheet of paper. At the top of the page, write your name, the form name (G-325A), and the question number you are answering.

Write the continuation of your answer, and staple it to the back of the G-325A.

Rene
Ah okay. Thank you, i'll get right on it.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

P M B,

I don't list different jobs if with the same employer (e.g. promotions or transfers to new positions within the same company), and in contrast to some people I do not list breaks in employment (I answer questions that are asked, and the G-325A asks for employer information not unemployment).

Full addresses are not required. City and state is good enough.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.