British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Moving back home from NZ!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/moving-back-home-nz-807383/)

NZ4Now Aug 27th 2013 8:34 pm

Moving back home from NZ!!

WOW I remember posting a few months ago thinking we have ages to move!!!!:blink::unsure:

Now it is all systems go! House completes on the 20th Sept and that's the day I also finish work!! then we will fly the next week!

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will be sad to leave NZ but excited to return home x

jemima55 Aug 27th 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Moving back home from NZ!!

Time flies! Good luck for the final part of the return. It's been a fabulous summer here, very warm, so I hope we save some good weather for you.
Lucky you to have sold your house. We still have one in the States. There will be champagne when it sells!

NZ4Now Aug 27th 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks jemima55 :)

Yes please keep the weather warm as we will be doing back to back winters :huh:

Good luck with house sale :fingerscrossed:

pippalonghorn Aug 28th 2013 12:30 am

Originally Posted by NZ4Now (Post 10872904)
WOW I remember posting a few months ago thinking we have ages to move!!!!:blink::unsure:

Now it is all systems go! House completes on the 20th Sept and that's the day I also finish work!! then we will fly the next week!

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope my time here in NZ goes as quick! I'm wishing you all the best for your move back home. Bet you cannot wait. Give us an update when you get settled. :thumbsup:

NZ4Now Aug 28th 2013 4:46 am

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn (Post 10873184)
I hope my time here in NZ goes as quick! I'm wishing you all the best for your move back home. Bet you cannot wait. Give us an update when you get settled. :thumbsup:

When are you going home?

pippalonghorn Aug 28th 2013 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by NZ4Now (Post 10873415)

When are you going home?

We are going home after the summer. :thumbup: we haven't been here long but already know that we can't make a good enough living here. Thought the grass was greener but it wasn't. :thumbdown: going to book our tickets after Xmas. I can't wait to go home where I belong. :D

NZ4Now Aug 28th 2013 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn (Post 10874794)
We are going home after the summer. :thumbup: we haven't been here long but already know that we can't make a good enough living here. Thought the grass was greener but it wasn't. :thumbdown: going to book our tickets after Xmas. I can't wait to go home where I belong. :D

Will send you a message :)

Snap Shot Aug 28th 2013 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn (Post 10874794)

The grass is as green as my envy ! For you and NZ4Now. Good luck with it all.

NZ4Now Aug 28th 2013 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 10874949)

NZ4Now Aug 29th 2013 11:57 pm

Just got a job offer too! woohoo :)

pippalonghorn Aug 30th 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by NZ4Now (Post 10877017)

Well done that's the icing on the cake! :thumbsup::D:D

pippalonghorn Aug 30th 2013 12:49 am

:frown: don't let it get you down. You're time will come too. I envy NZ4Now as England is even closer now. We're still many months away. :thumbdown:

NZ4Now Aug 30th 2013 1:47 am

I know thanks hun :)

Snap Shot Aug 30th 2013 1:50 am

Well done.

Do a victory lap around the coffee table (unless it's already packed !)

NZ4Now Aug 30th 2013 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 10877127)
Well done.

Do a victory lap around the coffee table (unless it's already packed !)

Haha! Thanks! At work so a lap around the desk! :thumbsup:

pixiewink Aug 30th 2013 9:48 am

+ 1...:p

pixiewink Aug 30th 2013 9:49 am

:thumb:

:drinkwine:

brits1 Aug 30th 2013 6:51 pm

Brill news and you also have bonfire, halloween and Christmas/New Year to look forward to as well and hopefully we will have a lovely Autumn as we did last year....Good luck with everything

LukeandJo Aug 31st 2013 1:30 am

Nice one... I (luke) hope we can post a similar thread soon. Miss the UK too much...

jemima55 Aug 31st 2013 8:49 am

Congrats NZ4Now!

NZ4Now Aug 31st 2013 9:41 am

Originally Posted by pixiewink (Post 10877521)
+ 1...:p

Are you wanting to make the move back?

NZ4Now Aug 31st 2013 9:42 am

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 10878681)
Nice one... I (luke) hope we can post a similar thread soon. Miss the UK too much...

See you're in Auckland too :)

How long you guys been here?

NZ4Now Aug 31st 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10878322)
Brill news and you also have bonfire, halloween and Christmas/New Year to look forward to as well and hopefully we will have a lovely Autumn as we did last year....Good luck with everything

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 10878934)
Congrats NZ4Now!

Thanks both :)

LukeandJo Aug 31st 2013 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by NZ4Now (Post 10878973)
See you're in Auckland too :)

How long you guys been here?

2 1/2 yrs it will be. I think, certainly enough time to gain experience of living abroad and definitely not seen as a move back, but a move onward...

NZ4Now Aug 31st 2013 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 10879479)
2 1/2 yrs it will be. I think, certainly enough time to gain experience of living abroad and definitely not seen as a move back, but a move onward...

That's very true :thumbsup:

Snap Shot Aug 31st 2013 9:33 pm

not seen as a move back, but a move onward...

Yes, that's very philosophical. I think I might take that as my, 'mantra'. For any move to the UK in the future.

pixiewink Sep 1st 2013 2:20 am

Originally Posted by NZ4Now (Post 10878972)
Are you wanting to make the move back?

Yep....but kids ages are complicating things...also worry about getting jobs...me 44 OH 48.....Also don't want big mortgage - have had one since I was 18.....still not paid it off :thumbdown:

We thought we could get it paid off when we came here...but that's a big NO!!! everything has gone up so much in the last few years...:thumbdown:

Anyway...good luck to you & yours....Have a great trip home :thumbsup:

pixiewink Sep 1st 2013 2:25 am

8 yrs for us....way too long....gained the experience & so over it!!!!

I love your way of looking at it...."Not a move back.....but a move onward!!!!"

I always talk about it as the "next chapter" in our lives.....

Good Luck :thumbsup::starsmile:

brits1 Sep 1st 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by pixiewink (Post 10879851)
Yep....but kids ages are complicating things...also worry about getting jobs...me 44 OH 48.....Also don't want big mortgage - have had one since I was 18.....still not paid it off :thumbdown:

We thought we could get it paid off when we came here...but that's a big NO!!! everything has gone up so much in the last few years...:thumbdown:

Hi we were about the same age, I am just about to start a Teaching Assistant course and my OH had no problem with work, our two sons had no trouble findng work around their Studies so all good.

Spacecake799 Sep 1st 2013 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by pixiewink (Post 10879851)

When you have kids it always complicates things more but depending on their ages they will be fine.
We decided 3 years ago we wanted to leave NZ, took us 3 more years due to the kids but I finally made it back in December.
We are your age, jobs etc have been fine and I'm loving being home, even though we moved somewhere we had never been before on our return, its great!
Good Luck

luvmeboys Sep 1st 2013 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by NZ4Now (Post 10872904)

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: It's a great feeling isn't it! We've got 46 more sleeps in Canada and then we're off.....:thumbsup:

vetnurse1 Sep 1st 2013 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 10880738)
When you have kids it always complicates things more but depending on their ages they will be fine.
We decided 3 years ago we wanted to leave NZ, took us 3 more years due to the kids but I finally made it back in December.
We are your age, jobs etc have been fine and I'm loving being home, even though we moved somewhere we had never been before on our return, its great!
Good Luck

:thumbsup: So good to hear that Spacecake! We have finally decided what to do and it's a big relief to have made the decision ....we have a daughter aged 15 who is happy to go back to the UK, but wants to finish off year 11 here - so we'll be here one more year, then we're off. I hope she is able to go to sixth form and settle back in reasonably trouble-free. In the meatime, we'll get citizensip, and hopefully save some money (the Tui ad springs to mind...yeah right) to put towards moving. The jobs/mortgage thing is a little bit (!) of a worry though, hubby is 52 so not sure how long they will give us...:eek:

pippalonghorn Sep 2nd 2013 12:04 am

Originally Posted by vetnurse1 (Post 10881070)
:thumbsup: So good to hear that Spacecake! We have finally decided what to do and it's a big relief to have made the decision ....we have a daughter aged 15 who is happy to go back to the UK, but wants to finish off year 11 here - so we'll be here one more year, then we're off. I hope she is able to go to sixth form and settle back in reasonably trouble-free. In the meatime, we'll get citizensip, and hopefully save some money (the Tui ad springs to mind...yeah right) to put towards moving. The jobs/mortgage thing is a little bit (!) of a worry though, hubby is 52 so not sure how long they will give us...:eek:

:thumbup: doesn't it feel great to make "that" decision? Wether it be stay or go... The clouds lift away :D. I'm now worrying about the journey home! (Hate flying!) :lol: I'd worry if I had nothing to worry about. :eek:

LukeandJo Sep 2nd 2013 1:16 am

I agree with that whole "making a decision feeling". You don't then spend all your day going over and over it all.

Once we have had the discussions and made the decision; got the wheels in motion that I will be really excited about going back.

In someway as well, I am tempted to not tell anyone, or at least keep the number of people that know to a minimum... then it comes a massive surprise when we are back... taaa daaa!

pixiewink Sep 2nd 2013 5:13 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10880577)
Hi we were about the same age, I am just about to start a Teaching Assistant course and my OH had no problem with work, our two sons had no trouble findng work around their Studies so all good.

Thanks for the post.....Where in the uk are you?

Interesting that your kids found work round their studies...that is something some folk have said is unavailable....but they hve been in NZ less than 2 years and I think are still in the honeymoon period of living here....

:starsmile:

pixiewink Sep 2nd 2013 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 10880738)
Good Luck

:goodpost: Good to hear....thanks all boosts the confidence....:starsmile:

pixiewink Sep 2nd 2013 5:18 am

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn (Post 10881103)
:thumbup: doesn't it feel great to make "that" decision? Wether it be stay or go... The clouds lift away :D. I'm now worrying about the journey home! (Hate flying!) :lol: I'd worry if I had nothing to worry about. :eek:

:rofl: :hysterical:

davros1984 Sep 2nd 2013 8:32 am

it sure does! we have now figured out what we are going to do. its a huge relief. so in the mean time we will enjoy the last of our time here in NZ.

Spacecake799 Sep 2nd 2013 9:39 am

I know what you mean about flying. I wanted to cruise but ended up flying via LA and NY which was amazing.
I actually blocked out all thoughts of the flight beforehand such is my fear. With a family history of dvt i didn't want to think about it.
When I got on the plane all my fears disappeared and I just thought its going to be fine cause I'm going home.

Good luck

Choccie Sep 2nd 2013 10:12 am

I wish I could stop worrying now the decision has been made!

Still find myself thinking about it from waking to sleeping. Curse of an over thinker with the tendency to procrastinate and worry :confused:

Will just keep reading the success stories and empting the house!