Reload this Page >

Moving to America with USC spouse help

Moving to America with USC spouse help

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 9:41 am
Just Joined

marley1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to America with USC spouse help

Hello all,

My husband (UKC) and I (USC) are looking at relocating to America. I have been living in England since 2015. First three years under a student visa and now under a spouse visa.

We have started doing some research but seem to be even more confused as to how to go about getting his green card- help!

Would we both need to secure jobs and a place to live in America before we could even apply for the green card? We currently are both employed full time here in England and have a combined income of just under 50K PA. We are a young couple (21 hubby & 25 me) fresh out of uni and don't have a lot of savings or own any properties. My parents (USC) have agreed to let us live with them until we are able to get on our own two feet.

Ideally we'd like to both move to America together once he has been granted his green card. Would we be able to apply even whilst both of us are living in the UK or would I need to move to America prior to the application? Also would we come across any problems because I haven't lived in the America for the past 4 years?

Any advise on how to get the ball rolling on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 11:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America with USC spouse help

Hi and welcome to BE!

You need to research the CR-1 spouse immigrant visa. That is the visa your husband will apply for. Once he enters the USA using that visa, he becomes a US Permanent Resident immediately (i.e. he gets his green card).

You will need to file an I-130 to start the ball rolling. Since you live in the UK, this can be filed directly to the USCIS field office London. Research DCF (Direct Consular Filing). Look at the US Embassy website for details. The whole process takes about 6 months, and the visa is valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

The UK income won't count on the I-864 affidavit of support, and you have no assets, so your 2 choices for meeting the financial support requirement are: 1) get a joint sponsor or 2) USC moves back to USA after filing I-130 and gets US income. Details are at www.uscis.gov, I-864 form and instructions.

It's not a problem that you haven't lived in the USA, just make sure you have been filing your US tax returns each year that you've earned income in the UK. If you haven't been filing US tax returns, file back tax returns now. You will need them for his visa. US citizens are required to report worldwide income each year no matter where in the world they live.

Come on back with any questions!

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 3rd 2019 at 11:17 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

marley1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to America with USC spouse help

Hi Rene,

Thank you so much for the very useful information and pointing me in the right direction!