Reload this Page >

Moved State - Transfer File?

Moved State - Transfer File?

Old Jun 11th 2006, 2:08 am
Just Joined

BritBoy_Florida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved State - Transfer File?

Hi all,

My wife and I recently moved from Florida to Denver. Before the move I submitted my I-751 and received a receipt notice saying my alien card had been extended 12 months. We then moved and I submitted the AR-11 Change of Address form, but am unsure as to my next course of action as to the Service Center handling my file. The Service Center for the State of Denver is Nebraska. Do I need to have my file transferred from the Texas Center to Nebraska? Or do I just need to make sure the Denver District Office will be handling my file instead of the Tampa Sub Office? Which combination of Service Centers and District Offices do I need to inform?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Moved State - Transfer File?

Okay, so I called the 800 customer service number on my I-751 receipt. After about 4 or 5 sub menus (each lasting a good minute or two) I got into the queue for a live operator. Around 30 minutes later I get through, and the lady on the other end was very helpful. She informed me that my only obligation after an address change is to submit the AR-11 form (plus the I-865 form for my wife as Sponsor), and to call the 800 number to update the address at my Service Center. I was told there was no further action required, so no need to send letters to the Denver Office or Nebraska Service Center. I just need to look out for a confirmation letter within 30 days as a follow up.

Not entirely sure where I got that notion to begin with, but I'd seen it mentioned in a few posts. Pretty handy that 800 number.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritBoy_Florida
Okay, so I called the 800 customer service number on my I-751 receipt. After about 4 or 5 sub menus (each lasting a good minute or two) I got into the queue for a live operator. Around 30 minutes later I get through, and the lady on the other end was very helpful. She informed me that my only obligation after an address change is to submit the AR-11 form (plus the I-865 form for my wife as Sponsor), and to call the 800 number to update the address at my Service Center. I was told there was no further action required, so no need to send letters to the Denver Office or Nebraska Service Center. I just need to look out for a confirmation letter within 30 days as a follow up.

Not entirely sure where I got that notion to begin with, but I'd seen it mentioned in a few posts. Pretty handy that 800 number.
While I never moved during our process, that report doesn't sound like what other people have reported happens in reality.

It might help to know that the 1-800 number is know as the Misinformation Line.

Check it out when you get that confirmation letter in 30 days.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritBoy_Florida

it's just a suggested idea to write to your new office with a copy of the AR-11 saying you are moving there, and also to let your old office know that you have moved, you don't have to, but there's no guarantee that anything will happen with just filing the AR-11 as that is just to keep tabs on your address as an immigrant, not to keep tabs of any paper work you currently have being processed, and you don't want them to send a letter to your old address by accident.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I guess it can't do any harm to inform the offices of my new address. I was given a confirmation number for the address change on the phone and I will be looking out for that 30 day written confirmation. In the mean time I'll write to my local Denver District office and to the TSC. Do you think that will suffice or should I also inform the Nebraska Service Center and my old Tampa sub office? I don't want to cause confusion with any overkill.

Cheers.