Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Move as fiancee or wife?

Move as fiancee or wife?

Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move as fiancee or wife?

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Should the op apply for a GREEN CARD, without supplying pictorial evidence, utility bills in both their names, general evidence of being in a long term relationship together, they absolutely will be asked questions about this to determine it's not a bogus marriage for immigration purposes
You don't "apply for a green card", but yes there will be some review of the evidence of the relationship, but the length of the relationship you referred to earlier is only one of many factors, and while not many people meet and marry within, say, two weeks, there is nothing necessarily wrong with such a marriage that it would be deemed bogus.

The other evidence you mentioned above also doesn't exist in many cases - utility bills would only apply when a couple had lived together, and in any case they are usually only in one name - mine were in London after we married, and that had no bearing on my CR-1 application. Our utility bills now are only in one of our names too.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How long has the op been with her bf because you'll need to show evidence of a long term relationship for a green card?
What? Nonsense! Where do you come up with such shit?

Besides being with your bf, what will you do in America?
Since this is not a concern for you or for immigration, I suggest you only want to know because you're nosey!

It's 125% above the state poverty line at the time of applying so a lot higher than 20 grand
It's 125% above the federal poverty line.

Should the op apply for a GREEN CARD, without supplying pictorial evidence, utility bills in both their names, general evidence of being in a long term relationship together, they absolutely will be asked questions about this to determine it's not a bogus marriage for immigration purposes
Once again, you're full of shit - and I don't have a problem telling you this.

Honest to god, if you can't respond correctly, please don't respond at all. As I've noted to you elsewhere... read more, post less! Immigration is hard enough without you posting incorrect information.

Ian
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

How long has the op been with her bf because you'll need to show evidence of a long term relationship for a green card?
Length of the relationship does not enter into the equation at all. The only requirement regarding time is if you use the Fiancee Visa and then you must have meet in person within the prior 2 years of filing the I-129f. For a spousal visa (I-130 abroad) or for adjustment of status within the US, there is no time requirement for a relationship.

Besides being with your bf, what will you do in America? What job do you currently have in the UK and do you believe your qualifications/experience will translate here? What does he do here and does he have the required income he'll need to sponsor you for a green card? It's 125% above the state poverty line at the time of applying so a lot higher than 20 grand
Her career choices have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with living in the US as the wife of a USC. She already said he earns above the $20K mark for sponsorship.

America is an amazing country, Americans in general are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet but the grass isn't always greener if you've never lived here previously and don't know anyone here, what will do if it doesn't work out with the bf?
What has this got to do with this OP's questions?????????????
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Citizenship Issue

He is currently married but legally separated. What is he basing his criteria for naturalization on? Will it be as a LPR for five full years or will it be as an LPR being married to a USC for a full three years?

If the latter, there might be problems. He and his wife are not living together as husband and wife. If they are legally separated, there is a legal document stating that their marriage is not 'viable' for lack of a different word.

If they are separated but still living together and there is no legal document showing their separation, I would urge him to consult with an immigration attorney before applying.

If he is applying based on 5 years as a LPR, then he has no problems.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Thank you Rene

Suze

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since you are planning ahead, you need either a K-1 fiance visa or a CR-1 spouse Immigrant visa.

Both take approximately the same amount of time (once he's a USC). You have to factor in that you can't start the immigrant visa process until you are married. The biggest advantage of the immigrant visa is that you become a US PR upon entry to the USA (no AOS involved).

We actually have a wiki guide with a chart that shows the main periods and cons of each path.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Thank you Wintersong. I see what you mean about the spontaneity, or lack thereof! However if we take the status adjustment out of the equation, I'm guessing that I could go there and, if asked, give the reason for my visit as getting married, as long as I didn't plan to stay.

Suze

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Hi Suze,

Congrats and good luck

I'd definitely recommend one of the two 'above board' methods of obtaining a visa (i.e. spouse or fiancee). The key word here is spontaneous - given the info you've provided, it's clear that any wedding while you were in the US on VWP would not be spontaneous, since you're already semi-planning the "spontaneous" proposal and "spontaneous" decision to get married before your departure. Would it be possible to adjust status after such an event? Quite probably. However, given that in order to get married you'd likely need to bring with you your birth certificate and divorce decree, you might be hard pressed to prove that you had no intent to marry when you entered.

If you arrived on VWP and told the immigration officer that you intended to get married, you'd probably find yourself on the next plane back to the UK.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Pulaski. I wonder why they do this then? Is it because the green card can be revoked within those two years if you split up or if the USC spouse dies or something?? <shudder>

Suze

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You've already got some good info, but one thing you asked that I don't think you have an answer to yet is about the "conditional green card". It is a green card for permanent residents in every way except that it is issued to anyone who has been married for less than two years, no matter whether they entered on a K-1 fiancée visa or a CR-1 spouse visa. It's nothing to worry about, and you apply to have the conditions removed two years after you got the green card (not two years after you married).
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Er, not according to any US government website I've looked at! I was pretty shocked that you only have to show you have met once face-to-face in the preceding two years.

Besides being with your bf, what will you do in America? What job do you currently have in the UK and do you believe your qualifications/experience will translate here? What does he do here
Mind your own business

America is an amazing country, Americans in general are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet but the grass isn't always greener if you've never lived here previously and don't know anyone here, what will do if it doesn't work out with the bf?
How do you know I've never lived there? Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands and you're perpetuating quite a bit of false information.

Suze
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

I think you maybe got mixed up and are thinking of a different country perhaps?

Suze

Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Rete, he has been an LPR for seven years so is not relying on the fact he's married to a USC.

On that note, does anyone know how long it's currently taking for citizenship applications to be processed? Does it depend on where your application is processed?

Suze

Originally Posted by Rete
Re: Citizenship Issue

He is currently married but legally separated. What is he basing his criteria for naturalization on? Will it be as a LPR for five full years or will it be as an LPR being married to a USC for a full three years?

If the latter, there might be problems. He and his wife are not living together as husband and wife. If they are legally separated, there is a legal document stating that their marriage is not 'viable' for lack of a different word.

If they are separated but still living together and there is no legal document showing their separation, I would urge him to consult with an immigration attorney before applying.

If he is applying based on 5 years as a LPR, then he has no problems.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

About 4 to 6 months from filing N-400 to interview. Then it depends on location how quickly they can do an oath ceremony.