Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Montreal & Police Cert. Ques.

Montreal & Police Cert. Ques.

Old Apr 12th 2002, 3:40 pm
Todd Carney

Default Montreal & Police Cert. Ques.

I e-mailed a question to the Montreal Consulate regarding the required police check.
I went to my local police station and they did a Canada
- Wide search using the same program or company that does the RCMP searches.
Therefore I asked will they require an RCMP one or will mine be sufficeient.

The answer came back that mine would be sufficient. Naturally I printed the response
out and will stash it away in my K-1 interview fle should they question it. But has
anyone else had an experience like this?

Old Apr 12th 2002, 4:10 pm
Dabear?

Default Re: Montreal & Police Cert. Ques.

My understanding is that you get the police check from your local police force no
matter who they are. And guess where they get the info from??? RCMP so you only need
the one from the Montreal Police force

Todd Carney wrote:

> I e-mailed a question to the Montreal Consulate regarding the required police
    > check. I went to my local police station and they did a Canada
    > - Wide search using the same program or company that does the RCMP searches.
    > Therefore I asked will they require an RCMP one or will mine be sufficeient.
    >
    > The answer came back that mine would be sufficient. Naturally I printed the
    > response out and will stash it away in my K-1 interview fle should they question
    > it. But has anyone else had an experience like this?
    >
    > Thanks: Todd

Old Apr 12th 2002, 7:40 pm
Luanne

Just to let you know that if you don't have a criminal record you don't need to get a
fingerprint check.

All I asked for at the RCMP location here in Ottawa was a police certificate.

Luanne

Binjia Jiao wrote:

>Todd, Could you please tell me the email of Montreal Consulte? How came I didn't see
    >their email in my package?
    >
    > As for the question, I am living in Hamilton, there is a RCMP branch here. I will
    > request a certificate and finger print from RCMP directly with even less cost than
    > local police force.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    >Best, JBJ [email protected] (Todd Carney) writes:
    >
    >>I e-mailed a question to the Montreal Consulate regarding the required police
    >>check. I went to my local police station and they did a Canada
    >>- Wide search using the same program or company that does the RCMP searches.
    >> Therefore I asked will they require an RCMP one or will mine be sufficeient.
    >>
    >>The answer came back that mine would be sufficient. Naturally I printed the
    >>response out and will stash it away in my K-1 interview fle should they question
    >>it. But has anyone else had an experience like this?
    >>
    >>Thanks: Todd

Old Apr 12th 2002, 10:10 pm
Tracy & Dave

Not necessarily.... My husband got his police certificate from the Ontario
Provincial Police in Belleville and they said it was an RCMP check, but we got an
RFE because Montreal said it wasn't correct and he had to go to the RCMP office in
Kingston instead.

dabear® <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My understanding is that you get the police check from your local police force no
    > matter who they are. And guess where they get the info from??? RCMP so you only
    > need the one from the Montreal Police force
    >
    > Todd Carney wrote:
    >
    > > I e-mailed a question to the Montreal Consulate regarding the required police
    > > check. I went to my local police station and they did a Canada
    > > - Wide search using the same program or company that does the RCMP searches.
    > > Therefore I asked will they require an RCMP one or will mine be sufficeient.
    > >
    > > The answer came back that mine would be sufficient. Naturally I printed the
    > > response out and will stash it away in my K-1 interview fle should they question
    > > it. But has anyone else had an experience like this?
    > >
    > > Thanks: Todd

Old Apr 12th 2002, 10:40 pm
Dabear?

they is a bit of a red herring in this one, even you have a pardon for a offensive
that you were arrested for, you have to get a copy of the pardoned record. US does
not recognize a Canadian Pardon

Luanne wrote:

> Just to let you know that if you don't have a criminal record you don't need to get
    > a fingerprint check.
    >
    > All I asked for at the RCMP location here in Ottawa was a police certificate.
    >
    > Luanne
    >
    > Binjia Jiao wrote:
    >
    > >Todd, Could you please tell me the email of Montreal Consulte? How came I didn't
    > >see their email in my package?
    > >
    > > As for the question, I am living in Hamilton, there is a RCMP branch here. I will
    > > request a certificate and finger print from RCMP directly with even less cost
    > > than local police force.
    > >
    > > Good luck.
    > >
    > >Best, JBJ [email protected] (Todd Carney) writes:
    > >
    > >>I e-mailed a question to the Montreal Consulate regarding the required police
    > >>check. I went to my local police station and they did a Canada
    > >>- Wide search using the same program or company that does the RCMP searches.
    > >> Therefore I asked will they require an RCMP one or will mine be sufficeient.
    > >>
    > >>The answer came back that mine would be sufficient. Naturally I printed the
    > >>response out and will stash it away in my K-1 interview fle should they question
    > >>it. But has anyone else had an experience like this?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks: Todd

Old Apr 14th 2002, 9:10 pm
Binjia Jiao

Oh, yeah. I don't have any criminal record. I know I could ask for a police
certificate from RCMP directly without fingerprint. However, I need the fingerprint
for my police certificate from Singpoore. Singapore requires fingerprint even though
I don't have any criminal record there, either.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Good luck.

JBJ Luanne <[email protected]> writes:

> Just to let you know that if you don't have a criminal record you don't need to get
    > a fingerprint check.
    >
    >
    >
    > Luanne
    >
    > Binjia Jiao wrote:
    >
    > >Todd, Could you please tell me the email of Montreal Consulte? How came I didn't
    > >
    > > As for the question, I am living in Hamilton, there is a RCMP branch here. I will
    > > request a certificate and finger print from RCMP directly with even less cost
    > >
    > > Good luck.
    > >
    > >
    > >>I e-mailed a question to the Montreal Consulate regarding the required police
    > >>- Wide search using the same program or company that does the RCMP searches.
    > >> Therefore I asked will they require an RCMP one or will mine be sufficeient.
    > >>
    > >>response out and will stash it away in my K-1 interview fle should they question
    > >>

Old Apr 15th 2002, 2:10 pm
Ian Levstein

If you're getting a K-1 visa, you don't need fingerprints because the K-1 is
considered a "non-immigrant" visa. It has nothing to do with whether you have a
criminal record.

Ian

Luanne <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > a fingerprint check.
    >
    >
    >
    > Luanne
    >
    > Binjia Jiao wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > Good luck.
    > >
    > >
    > >>
    > >>

Old Apr 16th 2002, 6:08 am

Jade is an unknown quantity at this point

You WILL have to get fingerprinted for your RCMP check IF you have a criminal history. The RCMP WILL NOT do a criminal history check without fingerprints IF you have a criminal history. There are NO exceptions. In addition you will need court documents ref your charges. Believe me - we've been there - and have the approved waiver (CMT) to prove it!