Reload this Page >

Memorandum of Conviction?

Memorandum of Conviction?

Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

JumboCat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Memorandum of Conviction?

Hi All

I'm in the process of applying for a B2 Tourism Visa to USA. I have some simple questions, but will explain my circumstances first…

Back in 1995 I was arrested for a public order offence (using threatening words). I went to court, pleaded guilty, paid the fine and court cost (£130 back then). This has been my only offence.

I applied for my ACPO before Christmas - it came back with NO LIVE TRACE.

Yesterday I completed the online 'DS-160 Visa Form' - everything went through OK.

I have also completed the 'personal data form VCU1' form, which outlines my conviction dates court appearance, plea and penalty etc.

QUESTION: Do I need a Memorandum of Conviction too?
It doesn't mention an MoC here http://london.usembassy.gov/add_crime.html

Would having one be useful?

I called the Embassy this morning to pay my MRV and schedule an appointment. The 'Operator Assisted Visa' guy said I need to email scanned copies ACPO and VCU1 before I can make an appointment.

Since the call I've had no confirmation email telling me where to send these items. Is there a processing delay or should I call back because the confirmation MRV email hasn't arrived either? Should I wait a few days?

Thanks

JC
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memorandum of Conviction?

Originally Posted by JumboCat
Back in 1995 I was arrested for a public order offence (using threatening words). I went to court, pleaded guilty, paid the fine and court cost (£130 back then). This has been my only offence
I'm just curious, is a "public order offence (using threatening words) a CIMT? It doesn't sound like in to my layman's opinion, but I could be wrong. Can you just verify?

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your quick response

The full wording for such a public order offence is [using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour, W/I to cause fear or provocation of violence]

If you knew me you would find it hard to believe I could do such a thing!

JC
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The full wording for such a public order offence is [using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour, W/I to cause fear or provocation of violence]
So is it a CIMT, and that's why you're not using the VWP?

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

My offence is categorised in Offence Group C, which is the lowest UK category.

Question: Do I need a Memorandum of Conviction?

Is swearing at another person CIMT? There was no violence involved and this was nearly 18 years ago...

Are my chances low if this is classed as CIMT?

JC
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:07 pm

My offence is categorised in Offence Group C, which is the lowest UK category.

Question: Do I need a Memorandum of Conviction?

Is swearing at another person CIMT? There was no violence involved and this was nearly 18 years ago...

Are my chances low if this is classed as CIMT?

JC
The reason I was asking, is that if your crime is a CIMT, then you did the right thing by applying for the B visa. Sorry, I don't know if you need a MOC, but I don't see it mentioned very often, so my guess is not.

If your crime was NOT a CIMT, then you didn't need to apply for a B visa, and if you ARE eligible to travel on the VWP, then your B visa will most likely be denied, which will in turn cause your ESTA to be denied for some time (roughly 6 to 12 months).

I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

My gut feeling is I do need a B2.

Thanks for your help Noorah.

JC
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

JC
for that minor offence ..I doubt it

the law changed on that offence recently

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/510...-reformed-last
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

JC
Mine is that you don't. Ignore the wording at the embassy's website -- it's empire building rather than the law.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

JC
I suggest that you do not need a B2. It's certainly an option, but probably not the most appropriate one for you.

Too late to fix that now though.

The MOC would certainly be useful in establishing the exact particulars of your case. As far as scanning your supporting documents goes, give the embassy a bit of time. They'll send you an email pretty soon which will tell you the address to forward your scanned paperwork to.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Jan 21st 2013 at 6:11 pm. Reason: Ballsed it up 1st time.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I suggest that you do not need a B2. It's certainly an option, but probably not the most appropriate one for you.

Too late to fix that now though.

The MOC would certainly be useful in establishing the exact particulars of your case. As far as scanning your supporting documents goes, give the embassy a bit of time. They'll send you an email pretty soon which will tell you the address to forward your scanned paperwork to.
Really useful - thanks for your help

I could say I so wished I asked for advice before... Best to be sure though...

Thanks

JC
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:13 pm

Really useful - thanks for your help

I could say I so wished I asked for advice before... Best to be sure though...

Thanks

JC
No problem, you haven't yet turned anything in to book your visa appointment, right?

So just don't, and apply for ESTA instead.....

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No problem, you haven't yet turned anything in to book your visa appointment, right?

So just don't, and apply for ESTA instead.....

Rene
By the looks of things, the OP has already paid the MRV fee and thus began the process:

I called the Embassy this morning to pay my MRV and schedule an appointment. The 'Operator Assisted Visa' guy said I need to email scanned copies ACPO and VCU1 before I can make an appointment.
Since the call I've had no confirmation email telling me where to send these items. Is there a processing delay or should I call back because the confirmation MRV email hasn't arrived either? Should I wait a few days?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
By the looks of things, the OP has already paid the MRV fee and thus began the process:
I couldn't tell from his post. He called to pay, but he didn't say whether he actually paid or not. What if he just doesn't return the requested items, and therefore never gets an appointment? Would that be considered a visa denial?

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I couldn't tell from his post. He called to pay, but he didn't say whether he actually paid or not. What if he just doesn't return the requested items, and therefore never gets an appointment? Would that be considered a visa denial?

Rene
I'm assuming he's paid for the visa, because he mentions not receiving the confirmation. I have no idea if abandoning the process at this stage, without forwarding documents or scheduling an appointment, would constitute a denial or not.

To be honest, after paying the MRV fee, which is a not inconsiderable amount of money, I would suggest the OP continues with the visa application. After all, there is a criminal past involved, and the OP genuinely believed they were ineligible for the VWP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.