Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical records show mental health issues and drug use

Originally Posted by Rete
Glad that you were able to get the letter. Please do not allow worry to affect your mental state. I know, easy to say, hard to do. all will be well.
Thank you, Rete. For now, I'm doing quite good at adopting the 'what will be, will be' mentality, while also doing whatever I can to minimise complication/delay later down the line. Ask me again, on the day of the medical, how I'm feeling and it might be a different answer! But for now, we're optimistically hanging in there.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

It occurs to me that, for the sake of continuity, I should update this thread with the progress currently being made on my case. I attended my medical on the 4th of October and was sent away to obtain more information from my GP before they could sign me off. In the grand scheme of things, I have heard of far more complex cases, and I'm hoping mine will be smooth-sailing once Knightsbridge have what they need from my GP. I have written a very long, detailed post about all of that here.

I will update this thread again once everything is finalised. Hoping it will help (and hopefully reassure) anybody going through this in the future.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has also had to provide a GP letter because the word 'Anxiety' appears in her notes...yes you heard that right it’s mentioned once and she has not one instance in her life of depression, self harm or suicidal thoughts. To say were annoyed would be be putting it mildly.

Now if the GP cannot get the letter off in a quick fashion and the medical is not sent to the London embassy on time where do we stand? Cancel interview (is that’s possible) or attend and explain why? The medical was 6th Oct and the interview is booked for the 23rd Oct.

Thank you.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
My wife has also had to provide a GP letter because the word 'Anxiety' appears in her notes...yes you heard that right it’s mentioned once and she has not one instance in her life of depression, self harm or suicidal thoughts. To say were annoyed would be be putting it mildly.

Now if the GP cannot get the letter off in a quick fashion and the medical is not sent to the London embassy on time where do we stand? Cancel interview (is that’s possible) or attend and explain why? The medical was 6th Oct and the interview is booked for the 23rd Oct. .....
If you don't show up your visa will he declined, and that must be declared on all future visa application, for ever. You have 12 months (but I wouldn't leave it more then 10 months myself) from the invitation, to attend an interview, otherwise your application will be rejected and the file closed.

If you attend the interview and the medical isn't finalized the issuance of the visa will be delayed pending the medical being finalized. As before, you will have a maximum of 12 months to get the medical finalized.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you don't show up your visa will he declined, and that must be declared on all future visa application, for ever. You have 12 months (but I wouldn't leave it more then 10 months myself) from the invitation, to attend an interview, otherwise your application will be rejected and the file closed.

If you attend the interview and the medical isn't finalized the issuance of the visa will be delayed pending the medical being finalized. As before, you will have a maximum of 12 months to get the medical finalized.
Thanks Pulaski,

So if my wife attends her interview and all goes well but the medical has not shown up we will have a few months to get the incomplete medical sorted (Although it should only be a few weeks max). Am I correct in thinking the embassy will still take my wife’s passport and send it back once the medical is received?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pulaski,

So if my wife attends her interview and all goes well but the medical has not shown up we will have a few months to get the incomplete medical sorted (Although it should only be a few weeks max). Am I correct in thinking the embassy will still take my wife’s passport and send it back once the medical is received?
"Yes", and "yes, I would expect so."
Old Oct 8th 2017, 5:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pulaski,

Probably, yes.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good luck, AndyMan74. If it offers any reassurance at all, the receptionist at Knightsbridge Doctors informed me that they usually get documents etc. sent to the embassy in three working days (and it states on their paperwork to allow five). And when my GP went through my notes in order to write up her first letter summarising my medical history, she had the work completed and ready to be collected within a week. I paid a hefty price for that! But it was worth it, and I hope you can get the same from your GP (and I hope I can get the same from my GP again!). Your GP can also email/fax Knightsbridge Doctors to save time, if necessary.

Last edited by KK85; Oct 8th 2017 at 6:25 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Now if the GP cannot get the letter off in a quick fashion and the medical is not sent to the London embassy on time where do we stand? Cancel interview (is that’s possible) or attend and explain why? The medical was 6th Oct and the interview is booked for the 23rd Oct.

Thank you.
The annoying thing is, if it was a GP that put that in her notes, he/she probably is not qualified to make that diagnosis.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your responses.

I guess were going to have to jump through hoops and play the game to get to where we want to be (and trust me its a game).

Dose not make it any less infuriating though. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

@KK85 - And good luck to you, hope it all works out and let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 1:45 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
If the GP report doesn't get to the embassy in time but she satisfies all other requirements and the interviewer is happy with everything else, they will approve the visa pending the medical results. They will wait to receive the stuff from the GP and your wife's visa will be "on hold" in a pending status until then. When they have what they need, they will push the button to issue the visa.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
If the GP report doesn't get to the embassy in time but she satisfies all other requirements and the interviewer is happy with everything else, they will approve the visa pending the medical results. They will wait to receive the stuff from the GP and your wife's visa will be "on hold" in a pending status until then. When they have what they need, they will push the button to issue the visa.
That's pretty much what I thought but its good to hear it from a seasoned forum member.

Cheers Twinkle
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a note to say that, from now on, I will be posting any updates regarding this issue onto this thread only, in order to keep everything up to date and linear in the same place following my medical.

Thank you all for your ongoing advice and support!