Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical Examination in London for CR1

Medical Examination in London for CR1

Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:39 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of
Default Medical Examination in London for CR1

Hi, I thought I would share my experience of my recent medical at Knightsbridge Doctors in London.

I called for an appointment and was offered one within days if I had needed it urgently, and they were flexible with the times.
I asked about the vaccinations I may need, and was told I would only need Tetanus and MMR booster so I arranged with my doctor to get the MMR booster free of charge, and I had already had a Tetanus in 2005 which is good for 10 years.

I asked my nurse if she could write down these vaccinations and sign that I had received them and she gave me a ‘vaccination passport’ with my most recent immunisations written inside.
There are two clinics and I was given an appointment for 9.30am at 12-16 Bentinck St, 5 minutes walk from Bond St.

I had the following items; and had read the instructions carefully as laid out in:
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...018a_Oct08.pdf

• Passport
Although the form says photo ID, they specifically ask for a passport
• Signed questionnaire
I typed out the particulars of the items I had ticked ‘yes’ to, and attached this to the questionnaire.
• Vaccination record
Really handy to have but if not, a headed letter from your Doctor detailing your vaccinations should suffice.
• Passport photo x1
Remember to have the correct US size photo which is 2”x2”, as 2 different people while I was waiting were told they had the wrong sizes and had to go and get the correct ones.

I arrived early and went to the reception. The lady took all my documents and asked me to fill in another questionnaire and wait in the waiting room.The questionnaire was very similar to the one I had submitted.

I had quite a long wait until 10-15 when I was called to have a chest x-ray. I was asked to undress from neck to waist and wear a dressing gown. The radiologist was nice and friendly and made me feel at ease. I was then asked to wait in another small waiting room and was called within 10 minutes by the doctor.

She was very polite, and very businesslike.
She asked about the operations I had declared on the questionnaire, whether I had chickenpox as a child, and asked me some other questions like:
“Have you ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol?”
“Have you ever been in trouble with the police or been arrested?”
“Have you ever had a sexually transmitted disease?”
I tried not to sound too indignant with my “NO!” haha!
She asked if I understood the HIV test and asked me to sign my photo.

She then asked me to take my shoes and jeans off, keeping on the dressing gown,and performed the following procedures:
• Blood pressure
• Listened to my chest with a stethoscope
• Examined my breasts and stomach
• Checked my scars
• Took a blood sample

I was then asked to get dressed as I was all finished.

The receptionist returned my passport and vaccination record and charged me £190. She said that the results would be sent to the Embassy next week and that if there were any issues or problems they would contact me but “no news is good news”.
They accept all payment except Amex, strangely enough!

Start to finish it took one hour but 40 minutes of that were spent waiting, so bring a good book.
I would advise having breakfast also, as my rumbling stomach was distracting the doctor

Last edited by merz; Oct 9th 2009 at 12:40 pm. Reason: can't spell!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Examination in London for CR1

Hi,

Congratulations, glad it went well for you!

By the line of questioning, I'd say you had the petite Indian lady doctor, am I right?! (I had virtually the same Qs)
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:18 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi,

Congratulations, glad it went well for you!

By the line of questioning, I'd say you had the petite Indian lady doctor, am I right?! (I had virtually the same Qs)

Hi and thanks, fingers crossed there are no 'issues'.
My doc looked Swedish, blonde attractive and quite young. Calm down fellas!

I think it's their usual line of questions, but I still felt like saying "how VERY dare you!"

All in all much better than I thought. Are you nearly at the end of the process?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yes, at the end of the UK process, anyway!! (I applied for a K1)

Good luck for the rest of your journey!

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Oct 9th 2009 at 2:35 pm. Reason: Scphelling mishtake
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merz
I think it's their usual line of questions, but I still felt like saying "how VERY dare you!"
haha! The Red Cross nurse asks the same Qs!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

Me and fries both got the short straw on our doctor lol. She was in a foul mood. Complaining about she has to keep travelling between the 2 medical centres to do peoples medicals. If i was making £225 off someone for half hours work id atleast look somewhat happy o_0
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

m,

Well, those questions are on the medical report forms, and if the doctor doesn't provide an answer you don't get a visa.

My wife's and stepson's visas were held up for 3 weeks because the doctor had not answered the obstetrics questions on the DS-3026 for my stepson. He thought the answers should be obvious for a male, but as we've learned - don't leave any questions on an immigration form blank.

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

that being said i paid for tet booster there coz i thought things would go faster, however because i was diabetic the doctor asked me to get a letter from my GP asking how i manage it etc. so if you do have a health condition i advise you to get a letter on how you manage it etc will save time
Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:57 pm
Irritant

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
m,

Well, those questions are on the medical report forms, and if the doctor doesn't provide an answer you don't get a visa.
I wasn't really cross, I have been asked WAY more intimate questions when giving blood

The doc asked me 3 times whether I had any other medical problems before signing the form.
I have paid out for a medical examination I want it to be thorough and if there is anything to detect I want it bloody detected!
Luckily (fingers crossed) I don't have any other known issues but I am still waiting for the "no news is good news".

I bet this is some peoples first proper medical, as it was for me, and things may show up that went undetected for years.

I was overdue for an MOT anyway.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 8:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was overdue for an MOT anyway.
hahah! Even that is simpler here in the USA.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I thought I would share my experience of my recent medical at Knightsbridge Doctors in London.

• Passport photo x1
Remember to have the correct US size photo which is 2”x2”, as 2 different people while I was waiting were told they had the wrong sizes and had to go and get the correct ones.. I was then asked to wait in another small waiting room and was called within 10 minutes by the doctor.
:

Hi all, just a quick update.

I booked my medical today at the same place as merz's was done. I asked the specific question
"Which size passport photo do you require, UK or US size?"
Reply, "Either will do.'

I shall be taking 1 of each size as it seems to depend who you see/speak to as to what advise you are given!

Tracey.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I just took a US sized one as it was the only one I had that was recent enough.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:02 pm
Irritant

Originally Posted by traceym
Hi all, just a quick update.

I booked my medical today at the same place as merz's was done. I asked the specific question
"Which size passport photo do you require, UK or US size?"
Reply, "Either will do.'

I shall be taking 1 of each size as it seems to depend who you see/speak to as to what advise you are given!

Tracey.
Good luck Tracey, hope it all goes smoothly!
I wish they took the UK sized one I have...In the US sized ones I have a smirk and ruddy face from a 'few' lunchtime beers..

Merz
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Think yourself lucky i look like Myrra Hyndley on speed!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:21 pm
Irritant

I have a theory...maybe it's how big the FACE is on the picture that is more important than the actual size of the photo...hmmm. inntteereeeeesting..

I bet they really laugh at some of the photos they process and have a gallery to poke fun at to get them through the day.

Merz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.