Medical Exam for AOS

Old Jul 31st 2001, 6:54 pm
Ross Ward

Hi Guys,

I just got my AOS interview date for August 20th. The only thing is that it is so
soon and I have not made a medical appointment. First I didn't think I needed
another Medical, but this paperwork seems to indicate I do. My question is, do I
need to get a medical or is it in my file from my K1 Visa? Also, will my insurance
pick up the bill, or will I have to pay for it seeing as how it is a check up for
immigration purposes?

There was also an Affidavit of Support form in the package. Do I have to do this
again??? I submitted it with the AOS package as far as I can remember.

Starting to stress because I didn't think the appointment letter would arrive only a
month out from the interview and I have been away on job training.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Regards, Ross

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 4:47 pm
Sheri

Er... just asked the same question a few headings up. Check out Rete's answer.

BTW, I didn't another form for an affidavit, just the request for our work records.
Since he came over last fall, he had a hell of a time getting a job due in part to
the tech slow down. We went though our savings like crazy, but he did get a job that
easily meets the requirements. I'm the one who's retraining for work now. I hurt my
foot so my waitressing days are over, besides, now that he's here, I don't want to
spend our weekends and holidays apart!! (typical of restaurant work)

Sheri

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 5:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the Affidavit of Support, if a tax year has come and gone since you filed the AOS, you are required to bring a copy of the last tax year and your W-2 with it to substantiate your income.

Rita

PS if you are required to take the medical over again, no it is not covered by insurance as you can't go to your one doctor or primary physician for the medical but to an INS approved physician.

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 5:17 pm
Jdt0976

No, you do not need another medical exam ifyour medical was done within one year of
your interview. Also, no more affidavits of support. You should have filed an I-864
with your AOS paperwork. Good luck

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 7:14 pm
asyo

Rete,

Thank you for your reply. You have answered me several times on this newsgroup over
the last year or two and I really do appreciate your help.

I follow you with the tax info, but does that mean I don't have to complete the
Affidavit all over again and get it notarized with my wifes signature, get all the
tax info together again etc?

I received very little info on what to bring. It doesn't specify the Affidavit or tax
info, I just got another form and I assume......I have to fill it out seeing as how
they put it in there. It doesn't even tell me to get a medical on the checklist, it
just has the enclosed form also.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my regular Doctor is INS certified, but according to his
office I still have to cover the cost in cash. Oh well, it was worth a try

Thanks again, Ross

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Great news about the doctor. So at least the vaccination supplement is out of the way.

As for the affidavit of support, in most instances, no you don't have to do another one. I would suggest only that you could if you wanted to, if you wanted to add the foreign spouses income on form I-864A. Jim wanted his salary showing up front and personal although it was not needed so we completed a completely new one for NYC and they gladly accepted it. But then too we had a 21 month wait for the interview.

The tax return(s) for the intervening years is logical and even though not given in the list of things to bring, it is worth the photocopying to have it and the W-2 on hand the day of the interview. And no, tax returns do not have to be notarized and since you are not doing up a new I-864 there is nothing to be notarized for the support affidavit.

NYC INS provided us with a very detailed list of items to bring to the interview. Although some of the items obviously did not pertain to marry-based AOSing, we found it helpful and included something from every category they listed.

If you did a search on the deja archives for either [email protected] or [email protected] for May of 2000 you should be able to bring up our checklist of items that we took with us.

A further suggestion for you is to bring take the copies of the i-485 that you made (you did do that didn't you?) and all the copies of the supporting document, and get all the originals of all the copies together to bring to the interview with you. Also bring all the originals of every piece of documentation you used for the I-129F/K-1 if you went that route, i.e. birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates, photographs, AND DON'T FORGET THE NOTICE OF APPROVAL.

When you have compiled all the documentation you need to take to the interview that you are planning to use to show your co-mingling of lives, make two piles ... one for originals and one for copies. Both in the same exact order. Two hole punch the pile of copies and use an ACCO binder clip to fasten it closed. This is for the INS to keep. You will keep the originals but since they are in the same order as the copy pile, if they should ask for the original you will have it in the right place for you to pull it out and show it to them without fumbling around in your briefcase.
Rita