Medical exam for AOS?

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:50 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medical exam for AOS?

Originally posted by natalija
Hi, everybody!
I came to the US on K-1 visa. Then we got married in the US. Then we applied for AOS and were told that I would need Medical exam performed by civi surgeon appointed by government. Then opn the other board I was told that when K-1 apply for AOS, they do need medical exam, becuase they had an exam before they got to the US in their own country. But they will need some vaccinations, signed by this Civil surgeon.
I called to the clinic of this Civil Surgeon to ask about it. They said, that I do need the medical exam anyway. I passed this exam, paid them 165 $. And I also have to make vaccinations, which will cost us 100$ more.
Then I saw on the Government site, that really K-1 holders do NOT need this exam because they had one in their country, and it is valid for 1 year.
But the Civil surgeon stuff was not informed about it at all, and they gave me wrong information.
Is there any way for me to get my money back for the medical exam?
Has anybody got some real knowlege about this? Or personal experience?
Any help would be appreciated.
Natalija

I was in the same boat...I had my medical exam in London ( for K1) but didnt get my vaccinations as they said I could get them in the US...there were 3 civil surgeons near us and they all said that they couldnt give vaccinations without a medical exam even though I explained to them I already had one.....cost us an arm and a leg and the whole process took 6 weeks...4 weeks to be seen, then I had to go back two weeks later to get my results and my form...pain in the ass...so I can sympathise with you. My advise to anyone going through K1, get your vaccinations at the embassy before you come here!!!
Poppy
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

natalija is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical exam for AOS?

Thanks, Jenney for the useful information!
Actually, for this money(165$) he performed only fisical exam. He did not perform vaccinations. They do not do them, so we have to go somewhere else to do them. And that will cost us 100% more.
Yes, I know it was my mistake to rely upon their information. Just for comparing, I called other office in my state. They said me the same. They seemed unaware as well.
Natalija

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
The USCIS itself isn't even consistent on this issue, so it's pretty hopeless to expect the civil surgeons to know USCIS regulations and requirements.

Here's what we've encountered so far, and are trying to get sorted out now before our interview in June:

1) The USCIS website says that a K1 recipient does NOT need a medical exam for AOS, as long as they apply for AOS within one year of the medical exam completed for their original K1 visa. It does NOT say the AOS interview has to take place within one year of the K1 visa medical exam, just that AOS must be APPLIED FOR within one year of the K1 visa medical exam.

You can read it directly on the USCIS website here (see #2): http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm#exam

2) The cover letter from the Norfolk USCIS office included in our original I-485 application packet states, "If you entered the United States as a K1 fiance(e), no medical examination is required." Doesn't get much clearer than that, right? Well, keep reading...

3) On the checklist of items REQUIRED for our AOS interview sent to us by Norfolk, it lists, "Medical Exam results, Form I-693. Appear even if not completed." As you can see, this completely contradicts the cover letter sent to us by the SAME OFFICE (Norfolk) with our AOS application packet.

So we have two documents saying NO, it's not required, and one document (perhaps the most important: our AOS interview notice) saying YES, it is required. To add to our confusion, neither document from Norfolk makes any mention of the vaccination supplement.

We're sending a letter (today, in fact) to Norfolk asking for clarification. We're including copies of each document and highlighting the areas so they see the contradiction right away. Hopefully we'll get a response within a few weeks. If we don't hear anything, then we're going to take copies with us to Mark's fingerprinting appointment in April and ask them in person.

My advice to the original poster is: Check with your USCIS office directly about the requirements. Do not rely on the civil surgeons for this clarification. Ultimately it is your USCIS office that has the final say, not the civil surgeon. And I hate to say it, but I think you can pretty much kiss that money goodbye. The civil surgeon DID provide the exam and vaccinations, regardless of whether you actually needed both.

~ Jenney