Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Materials for AOS Interview - Letters

Materials for AOS Interview - Letters

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

GarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really nice
Default Materials for AOS Interview - Letters

I've seen several people mention in their AOS accounts that they bring letters from friends, attesting to the length of time the writer has known the couple, and the fact that they consider this to be a legitimate marriage.

Are these letters simply written on normal paper, or does the writer have to go to a notary and swear an affidavit?

Also, if anyone can direct me to a thread or other location where someone has put together a clear listing of the kinds of materials people bring to the AOS interview, I would appreciate it: I've read many interesting narratives, but each person seems to bring very different materials.

We have our interview in seven weeks, and I have much material already together but want to complete the picture.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Materials for AOS Interview - Letters

Originally posted by GarethMc
I've seen several people mention in their AOS accounts that they bring letters from friends, attesting to the length of time the writer has known the couple, and the fact that they consider this to be a legitimate marriage.

Are these letters simply written on normal paper, or does the writer have to go to a notary and swear an affidavit?

Also, if anyone can direct me to a thread or other location where someone has put together a clear listing of the kinds of materials people bring to the AOS interview, I would appreciate it: I've read many interesting narratives, but each person seems to bring very different materials.

We have our interview in seven weeks, and I have much material already together but want to complete the picture.

Letters are far from being a must requirement for AOS. The listing you are asking for is normally sent with the appointment letter from the USCIS. Those letters are usually seen used for filing of the removal of conditions. But, yes, I have seen others here bring such letters to the AOS interview. It varies somewhat from district office to district. Overall I've seen the following is the "norm" if there is such a thing:

1. Financial records for the time between your marriage and your AOS interview date that show you have comingled your finances

2. Tax returns, preferrably tax transcripts provided by the IRS

3. Utilities and credit card bills in both names; auto insurance; car registration (not sure but some people really do register autos in two names); health insurance if one sponsor has coverage that includes the other; etc.

4. Social materials that provide you have a married life together, i.e. photos of you at holidays and parties, wedding pictures, club memberships, etc.

Rete
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Gareth,

Different people bring different materials because different people have different situations. One size does not fit all.

A few materials are specifically required, but in general there is no comprehensive, explicit list of materials. There are certain things that must be proved, and one brings whatever materials they have that are suitable to their own situation to prove those things.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by GarethMc

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:47 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
1. Financial records for the time between your marriage and your AOS interview date that show you have comingled your finances

Rete

As Corey doesn't have accounts in his name, his pay goes into my account. I was worried USCIS would think it suspicious that his name isn't on my accounts but if his pay goes in there, that would be classed as co-mingling. Would I be right in thinking that?

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
As Corey doesn't have accounts in his name, his pay goes into my account. I was worried USCIS would think it suspicious that his name isn't on my accounts but if his pay goes in there, that would be classed as co-mingling. Would I be right in thinking that?

Kate. xxxxx

Guess so. I understand why Corey does not have a bank account with you and it is good that his check is direct deposited into your account. If an explanation is required you can provide it at the interview. There are plenty of couples that do NOT have comingled accounts and prefer to keep financial things separate from their spouses. I and Jim both have several separate accounts both here and in Canada, although we do share a joint checking account for our paychecks and household bills. Thankfully he is now a US citizen so I was able to change beneficiaries of several of my accounts to reflect my children as beneficiaries. Found it strange that the US makes me make my foreign born spouse beneficiary of assets I accumulated prior to my marriage to satisfy their requirements but never was my foreign born spouse asked to show that I was beneficiary of his assets accumulated prior to our marriage. So know we are back to the way we wanted things. His pre-marital assets are given to his son upon his death and mine to my daughters upon mine.

Rete
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:13 pm

Found it strange that the US makes me make my foreign born spouse beneficiary of assets I accumulated prior to my marriage to satisfy their requirements but never was my foreign born spouse asked to show that I was beneficiary of his assets accumulated prior to our marriage. So know we are back to the way we wanted things. His pre-marital assets are given to his son upon his death and mine to my daughters upon mine.

Rete
Do they really make you do that???????? Corey and I wanted to keep our own blood relatives as our beneficiaries, and then they could see to it that the assets or money was dealt out accordingly.

Does your issue only apply to pre-marital assets, because if so, we don't have a problem, as neither of us had anything before we married!

Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Do they really make you do that???????? Corey and I wanted to keep our own blood relatives as our beneficiaries, and then they could see to it that the assets or money was dealt out accordingly.

Does your issue only apply to pre-marital assets, because if so, we don't have a problem, as neither of us had anything before we married!

Kate. xxxxxxx

Yes for us it is only pre-marital assets. Remember I'm in my 50's and Jim in his 60's and I have quite a nice nest egg for my retirement and private insurance which I continued to have my children as primary beneficiaries of. USCIS did ask in the notice for AOS that we bring documentation to show beneficiaries of health, dental, life and 401K plans. In fact in NYS (not sure of other states or if this a federal requirement), a spouse must be beneficiary or formally sign a waiver allowing someone else to be beneficiary.

We had and have no problem with that and Jim remains beneficiary of those accounts. My private retirement account, however, now only has my girls as beneficiary and I have had Jim's name removed.

Rete
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:01 pm

Yes for us it is only pre-marital assets. Remember I'm in my 50's and Jim in his 60's and I have quite a nice nest egg for my retirement and private insurance which I continued to have my children as primary beneficiaries of. USCIS did ask in the notice for AOS that we bring documentation to show beneficiaries of health, dental, life and 401K plans. In fact in NYS (not sure of other states or if this a federal requirement), a spouse must be beneficiary or formally sign a waiver allowing someone else to be beneficiary.

We had and have no problem with that and Jim remains beneficiary of those accounts. My private retirement account, however, now only has my girls as beneficiary and I have had Jim's name removed.

Rete
Thanks, Rete!

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

GarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really nice

Thanks to those who replied: Rete, your post was extremely helpful, and set my mind very much at ease again.

Gareth