Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

marrying on visa waiver

marrying on visa waiver

Old Mar 15th 2003, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete, I have nobody to blame but myself for getting involved in this. If you read my post again, you will see that I did NOT accuse you of saying it was legal. What i said was that you appeared to find it a difficult issue. It was that inference with which I dealt. I repeat, I do not see it as a difficult issue at all. I will refrain from comment on the tone of your post, since that would lead only to another unproductive debate.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 1:52 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by abba48uk
What i said was that you appeared to find it a difficult issue. It was that inference with which I dealt. I repeat, I do not see it as a difficult issue at all.
I think what Rete meant to say was that this is a complex issue. And it is. It is the way the law has been written. That is it is ILLEGAL to enter the US on a tourist waiver or visa with immigrant intent.
At the same time once having entered the US "successfully", without "material misrepresention" at the POE, it is perfectly ok to marry and adjust status from within the US. How much more complex can it get???
Come off it Abba. You haven't got a clue. Leave the debate to others who understand the issues much better than you do.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 2:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by abba48uk
Rete, I have nobody to blame but myself for getting involved in this. If you read my post again, you will see that I did NOT accuse you of saying it was legal. What i said was that you appeared to find it a difficult issue. It was that inference with which I dealt. I repeat, I do not see it as a difficult issue at all. I will refrain from comment on the tone of your post, since that would lead only to another unproductive debate.
NP abba ... sorry if I misread or misunderstood your reply. When you said you had to disagree with me and then proceeded to say what I had said, I thught you read something there wasn't there.

Truce ???

Rete
Old Mar 15th 2003, 4:04 am
Ron

Default Re: marrying on visa waiver

So when "the law is an ass, and idiot" (with thanks to Charles Dickens) we
should follow it blindly?

"abba48uk" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Rete, I have nobody to blame but myself for getting involved in this.
    > If you read my post again, you will see that I did NOT accuse you of
    > saying it was legal. What i said was that you appeared to find it a
    > difficult issue. It was that inference with which I dealt. I repeat,
    > I do not see it as a difficult issue at all. I will refrain from
    > comment on the tone of your post, since that would lead only to another
    > unproductive debate.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 15th 2003, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

Patrick ....... You ignorant slut ......
There! NOW I am an asshole go ahead and slam me
(I thought we all grew up and decided to stop name calling already)

Originally posted by Patrick

You are irresponsible, not only that your a complete asshole - Rob disagrees with you and try to character assasinate him, grow up.

Rob your right, Jeff your completly wrong

Patrick

Last edited by JeffB; Mar 15th 2003 at 4:31 am.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

tiddi is an unknown quantity at this point

people like Mystee and myself....who are in a desperate situation...come on here to seek desperate advice....we don't really want to be on here(well i don't)....i'd rather be with my partner living together.........i can't believe some of you lot are taking the mickey out of our situation by stupid name calling each other....................this subject that Mystee has bought up is an important one......one mailer from the usa last month said he'd never seen one case where the usa INS had thrown out the foreign partner........and said he couldn't believe how shallow people where on here by believing everything the INS tells us..... he was refering to a case where a couple had done this exact same thing.....the INS lost the case and the couple where okay to stay......cos the INS were trying to state laws that didn't even exist when they were looked into...........
It's all a pathetic......i can't believe there is a process of waiting 7 to 10 months away from your partner before going to the usa legally........in that time you could fall out and split up.....and i think that's what the INS are hoping for......so really...they are being fraudulent too.(not acting properly to the usc as they should).........i'm sure they could speed up the process or have a different set of rules in place......where we can go out there to the usa and marry........and appy for status over there.....
maybe it's me who think it's not right what they have in place....i know rules are rules...and yes try to obey the laws of immigration etc.........but it's as silly to me...as the berlin wall(forced separation of being with your loved one)....in the end they knocked that down too..........try asking anyone form the INS to be forced apart from their sweetheart for the best part of a year....
and to the man on here who said society breaks up when laws are broken etc......we must obey the law of the land etc.........i wonder how many laws and rules are violated or bent when top people like those who work for immigration or politicians or attourney's....want their new found foreign sweetheart over there with them...........i wonder if they have to wait 9 months?
there was a case where an attourney had his girlfriend over on a visit....he married her over there.......he got away with it......i wonder why?

Last edited by tiddi; Mar 15th 2003 at 7:19 am.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JeffB

(Grabs a pair of chairs) Ok (best mom voice) I'm giving Patrick & Jeff a time out. LOL!
Old Mar 15th 2003, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tiddi
people like Mystee and myself....who are in a desperate situation...come on here to seek desperate advice....we don't really want to be on here(well i don't)....i'd rather be with my partner living together.........i can't believe some of you lot are taking the mickey out of our situation by stupid name calling each other....................this subject that Mystee has bought up is an important one......one mailer from the usa last month said he'd never seen one case where the usa INS had thrown out the foreign partner........and said he couldn't believe how shallow people where on here by believing everything the INS tells us..... he was refering to a case where a couple had done this exact same thing.....the INS lost the case and the couple where okay to stay......cos the INS were trying to state laws that didn't even exist when they were looked into...........
It's all a pathetic......i can't believe there is a process of waiting 7 to 10 months away from your partner before going to the usa legally........in that time you could fall out and split up.....and i think that's what the INS are hoping for......so really...they are being fraudulent too.(not acting properly to the usc as they should).........i'm sure they could speed up the process or have a different set of rules in place......where we can go out there to the usa and marry........and appy for status over there.....
maybe it's me who think it's not right what they have in place....i know rules are rules...and yes try to obey the laws of immigration etc.........but it's as silly to me...as the berlin wall(forced separation of being with your loved one)....in the end they knocked that down too..........try asking anyone form the INS to be forced apart from their sweetheart for the best part of a year....
and to the man on here who said society breaks up when laws are broken etc......we must obey the law of the land etc.........i wonder how many laws and rules are violated or bent when top people like those who work for immigration or politicians or attourney's....want their new found foreign sweetheart over there with them...........i wonder if they have to wait 9 months?
there was a case where an attourney had his girlfriend over on a visit....he married her over there.......he got away with it......i wonder why?
The original post was a good searching need for information, in response they got what they was looking for. However, bad advice is not only irresponsible but the implications enormous.

Ok so she enters the USA with intent, doesn’t deceive at port of entry and legally marries, upon AOS, what if she is challenged, can you imagine the cost to them of defending this issue in the courts. The BCIS has a far larger pot of cash to use than most young married couples, Attorney fees, costs the list is endless, do you think it is safe to take that risk.

Nine months wait seems small fry compared to a life long debt or deportation.

People can only speculate on government corruption, that is not fact, the other is.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 1:55 pm
Ron

"tiddi" wrote in message

> It's all a pathetic......i can't believe there is a process of waiting 7
    > to 10 months away from your partner before going to the usa
    > legally........in that time you could fall out and split up

IMHO, if the relationship is not strong enough to live through the
aggravation of the INS, maybe the law is in fact serving a useful purpose by
keeping the couple apart.

Old Mar 15th 2003, 2:11 pm
Mvstolar

BOTH OF YOU! GO TO YOUR ROOMS!!!!! 2 HOUR TIMEOUT!
1sr noa nsc 9/13/02
2nd noa !!!!**&%%^$###(*&!!!

>Originally posted by JeffB
    >> Patrick ....... You ignorant slut ......
    >> There! NOW I am an asshole go ahead and slam me
    >> (I thought we all grew up and decided to stop name calling already)
    >>
    >(Grabs a pair of chairs) Ok (best mom voice) I'm giving Patrick & Jeff a
    >time out. LOL!
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 15th 2003, 2:52 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by robclews
The original post was a good searching need for information, in response they got what they was looking for. However, bad advice is not only irresponsible but the implications enormous.

Ok so she enters the USA with intent, doesn’t deceive at port of entry and legally marries, upon AOS, what if she is challenged, can you imagine the cost to them of defending this issue in the courts. The BCIS has a far larger pot of cash to use than most young married couples, Attorney fees, costs the list is endless, do you think it is safe to take that risk.

Nine months wait seems small fry compared to a life long debt or deportation.

People can only speculate on government corruption, that is not fact, the other is.
Rob, while I agree with you on the content of your post, I don't see anyone giving "bad" advice. Merely posting their experiences.
This, I think, is what Rete is talking about. The need for everyone to put their heads together and boilerplate an answer that we can all agree on. I personally think that Paulgani's post about covers it. I think we would all appreciate your thoughts on this. And Patrick's. Here's the thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=1
Old Mar 15th 2003, 3:01 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JeffB

You can't isolate sentence out of a whole reply and use it out of context, Jeff. The whole reply was about using freedom responsibily, by not doing this you making an asshole of yourself. I don't need to slam you because everytime you reply on this thread you make a bigger ass of yourself so your doing the job yourself - which your probably an expert at (doing things yourself).

You can call me a lot things but ignorant isn't one of them, I try research answers and consider things before doing anything.

Patrick
Old Mar 15th 2003, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Patrick,
I think it is time for you to take your meds and lay down by your dish.
And considering that my Fiancee' is in the hospital as we speak, recovering from an almost fatal asma attack that could be so easily taken care of here in the US. Her body stopped functioning and she was resusitated yesterday morning. I almost lost my future wife, my best friend, and my future yesterday and beleive me it feels like the world just fell on me. Right now she will be in the hospital for an undetermined amount of time as she recovers. She should be with me right now, but she isn't. Instead we are playing the waiting game. And what are we waiting for? We are waiting for our Service Center to process Work Visa's and Student Visa's, while in the meantime my Future Wife sits in a hospital, waiting. There is your procedure asshole, you wanna walk a mile in my shoes? Why don't you try putting your hand out to help someone.
Stop trivializing life.

Last edited by JeffB; Mar 15th 2003 at 8:53 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 3:48 pm
L D Jones

Ron wrote:
    >
    > So when "the law is an ass, and idiot" (with thanks to Charles Dickens) we
    > should follow it blindly?

Unfortunately, this cannot be used as an excuse to INS. You could try,
though. Whether or not the "law is an ass" appears to be irrelevant.
It's all they have to go by.

Old Mar 15th 2003, 10:01 pm
Ron

Doh! I know what the law states re BCIS. I believe the USC and his/her
fiancé should study the situation, become aware of the risks and benefits,
then make an informed decision. Fore warned is fore armed, as it were.

"L D Jones" wrote in message
    > Ron wrote:
    > >
    > > So when "the law is an ass, and idiot" (with thanks to Charles Dickens)
we
    > > should follow it blindly?
    > Unfortunately, this cannot be used as an excuse to INS. You could try,
    > though. Whether or not the "law is an ass" appears to be irrelevant.
    > It's all they have to go by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.