Reload this Page >

Marrying US citizen - wanting to live in US

Marrying US citizen - wanting to live in US

Old May 16th 2012, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

greenerpastures is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying US citizen - wanting to live in US

please del

Last edited by greenerpastures; May 16th 2012 at 6:51 pm. Reason: personal reasons
Old May 16th 2012, 5:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Depends entirely on what your preference and priorities are, and you haven't been very specific in that regard.

I can say this:
- Your first and last options are not permitted under US immigration law, and although many people have been successful in immigrating that way a few have been badly burned.
- One does not go to the US as a visitor "on ESTA". One goes to the US as a visitor using a B visa or on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). ESTA is pre-clearance for using the VWP.

Regards, JEff
Old May 16th 2012, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenerpastures
What is the best way to do this?
The "best" way, is the one that works for you. It might not be the same choice that works best for someone else.

Getting married in UK and going together to USA and asking to adjust status there?
This is illegal, so not a good choice.

Going to US on ESTA, getting married there, coming back here and apply through the embassy to live there?
This is one option.

Getting married in UK and going through embassy? (heard this takes ages).
This is another option. It takes as long as the the choice immediately above... but it has definite advantages the other doesn't.

Going to US on ESTA, getting married there and adjusting status there?
This is illegal... so not a good choice.

Any info would be greatly greatly welcome.
In a nutshell... basically, you have 3 choices.

1) Get married in the UK (he will need a visa to do that), and then he files an I-130 in the US to start the process. In about 8-10 months, you will receive an immigrant visa. The day you enter the US with that immigrant visa, you will immediately become a US permanent resident (= green card) with immediate permission to live/work in the US.

2) You visit him in the US on the VWP. You get married and then you return to the UK before your 90 days is up. He files an I-130 in the US to start the process. In about 8-10 months, you will receive an immigrant visa. The day you enter the US with that immigrant visa, you will immediately become a US permanent resident (= green card) with immediate permission to live/work in the US.

3) He files an I-129F petition to start the process for a fiance visa. In about 7-9 months, you will get a K-1 visa. You will then enter the US using the K-1 visa and you two will marry within 90 days of your entry to the US. After marriage, you file to adjust your status (from K-1 beneficiary to US permanent resident). You can stay in the US during the adjustment process. When the adjustment process is approved, you get a green card.

There will be a period of separation. Would you rather be separated as a married couple or an engaged couple? The answer to that will determine which visa you go for.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 16th 2012 at 6:06 pm.
Old May 16th 2012, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by priorities?
Well... for example, is it important that you work in the US immediately?

Ian
Old May 16th 2012, 6:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying dual UK/US citizen and wanting to move to US

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
1) Get married in the UK (he will need a visa to do that),
Are you sure? He's a dual UK/USC. If he's a UKC, he wouldn't need a visa to get married in the UK, would he?

Rene
Old May 16th 2012, 6:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful. I think it does appear the K1 option may be the best way forward.

I much appreciate your help.
What makes you think the K-1 is superior to the Immigrant Visa? It might be, for your situation, but just wondering why YOU think it is. If you have the option of getting married first, without undue hardship, the Immigrant Visa is superior to the K-1, because you become a US PR upon entry to the USA (no need for adjustment of status afterwards).

Where is he living right now? Is he living in the UK or the USA? That will affect which Immigrant Visa route you have available.

In general, no matter which visa route you choose (K-1, Immigrant Visa - I-130 filed either in the USA or directly to London), your "ASAP" length of time will be about 8 months on average.

Rene
Old May 16th 2012, 6:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

If it's as simple as that, your preferred option is to have your fiance immediately submit an I-129f petition leading to a K1 visa. It will get you into the USA on a permanent basis several months faster than getting married and then submitting an I-130 petition leading to an immigrant visa.

Regards, JEff

Our priority is to get married and be allowed to live in the US together as soon as possible so we can think about starting a family etc.
Old May 16th 2012, 6:17 pm

Except that the K-1 visa process can be started immediately, the immigrant visa process cannot be started until after marriage. So starting from now, the K-1 will get her into the USA and living with her finace that much sooner.

And that's what she told us her priority was.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In general, no matter which visa route you choose (K-1, Immigrant Visa - I-130 filed either in the USA or directly to London), your "ASAP" length of time will be about 8 months on average.

Rene
Old May 16th 2012, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Except that the K-1 visa process can be started immediately, the immigrant visa process cannot be started until after marriage. So starting from now, the K-1 will get her into the USA and living with her finace that much sooner.

And that's what she told us her priority was.

Regards, JEff
Yes. When I wrote that, I didn't know where the UKC was living. I thought if he was living in the UK, it might be feasable to get married soon-ish, then file the I-130 to London.

As the OP has now confirmed, he lives in the USA, so filing directly to London is not an option.

The K-1 visa can be a couple of months faster in terms of processing to get the visa in hand. You won't become a US PR until after you do the Adjustment of Status paperwork (more paperwork and another $1,000+ fee) once you are in the USA and married. If your goal is simply to be together ASAP, then yes, the K-1 is it. The K-1 process takes about 6 - 8 months.

Rene
Old May 16th 2012, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

He's a dual UK/USC. If he's a UKC, he wouldn't need a visa to get married in the UK, would he?
My bad... I missed that bit! Good catch.

Ian
Old May 16th 2012, 6:26 pm

Now that we know more about your living situation (you are in the UK, he is in the USA):

- Getting married in UK and going together to USA and asking to adjust status there?
It is illegal to misrepresent yourself at the POE as a visitor, when your true intent is to remain and adjust status.

- Going to US on ESTA, getting married there, coming back here and apply through the embassy to live there?
Possible, but takes 8 to 10 months (as opposed to the 6 - 8 months for K-1 visa).

- Getting married in UK and going through embassy? (heard this takes ages).
Not possible because USC doesn't live in the UK.

- Going to US on ESTA, getting married there and adjusting status there?
It is illegal to misrepresent yourself at the POE as a visitor, when your true intent is to remain and adjust status.

Looks like K-1 is what you want, in your situation.

Rene
Old May 16th 2012, 6:28 pm

I heard DCF can be a lot faster some times?
It can be, sometimes, at some consulates. But the USC must be living in the foreign country for 6+ months in order to qualify to file the I-130 directly there.

Also, London is not not all that much faster than filing the I-130 in the USA. DCF (JEff will come along and clarify that it's not a true DCF, LOL) in London currently seems to be taking about 6 to 8 months.

Rene
Old May 16th 2012, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. When I wrote that, I didn't know where the UKC was living. I thought if he was living in the UK, it might be feasable to get married soon-ish, then file the I-130 to London.

As the OP has now confirmed, he lives in the USA, so filing directly to London is not an option.

The K-1 visa can be a couple of months faster in terms of processing to get the visa in hand. You won't become a US PR until after you do the Adjustment of Status paperwork (more paperwork and another $1,000+ fee) once you are in the USA and married. If your goal is simply to be together ASAP, then yes, the K-1 is it. The K-1 process takes about 6 - 8 months.

Rene
Going the K-1 visa route also means that she won't be able to work in the US until about 3 months after she gets married since she won't be able to work until she gets the EAD or the adjustment of status is approved whichever occurs first.