Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying A US citizen...then what?

Marrying A US citizen...then what?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying A US citizen...then what?

How did he obtain his US citizenship? Was it a derivative citizenship or was he born in the US?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabskitten
thanks Guys this has been very helpful

Firstly - no children planned and no return planned either!!

But other than that......how many years tax returns will he need to have filed, i fear that is where he has been a little,....er.....''disorganized''......? He never realized that he needed to do this.

Also is there any other way that he can prove US domicile? We plan to get him a job offer before we actually move and he is already in process of applications.....
I wouldn't discount getting his UK citizenship if he's currently eligible.. it is useful for so many things, and you never know for the future. I'd have to throw in my .02 for starting that application too.

There is a tax filing entry in the wiki here (look at the blue bar at the top) that is very helpful, and another discussing domicile.
One thing you/he might keep in mind: he doesn't *have* US domicile.. what he is going to have to prove (and London has been very sticky on this issue lately) is that he has extremely strong intent to domicile. Ultimately, they can require him to go to the US before they will issue your visa.
Here's 2 examples in one thread of what they're looking for http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659337

You should understand too, that he might not be able to get hired from overseas and may find he has to go over to get a job anyway.

But he needs to get the tax return thing sorted out ASAP.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
How did he obtain his US citizenship? Was it a derivative citizenship or was he born in the US?
born in US
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

tabskitten, I didn't understand the question you left in my karma.. do you want to post it in the thread? I don't answer immigration quesitons in private message/email etc.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
tabskitten, I didn't understand the question you left in my karma.. do you want to post it in the thread? I don't answer immigration quesitons in private message/email etc.
i asked what difference it makes how he obtained US citizenship?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:05 am

i asked what difference it makes how he obtained US citizenship?
OK, I think you just posted it in the wrong spot. I don't know why Rete asked that.. I don't think it makes a difference how he got his US citizenship.

I'm putting in my vote for him to get his UK citizenship if he can though!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

OK, I think you just posted it in the wrong spot. I don't know why Rete asked that.. I don't think it makes a difference how he got his US citizenship.

I'm putting in my vote for him to get his UK citizenship if he can though!
lol!! sorry see what i did now!
Ok thanks, but seeing as we are dead set that we will not return to the UK, even if we hate the states we will try different parts before we come back, and even then would defiantly rather try Oz or ........the world is so big at the moment the last thing we want to do is return to the UK........

So what is the advantages of getting UK citizenship........and he will be married to a UK national anyway........

Am I missing the point?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:22 am

lol!! sorry see what i did now!
Ok thanks, but seeing as we are dead set that we will not return to the UK, even if we hate the states we will try different parts before we come back, and even then would defiantly rather try Oz or ........the world is so big at the moment the last thing we want to do is return to the UK........

So what is the advantages of getting UK citizenship........and he will be married to a UK national anyway........

Am I missing the point?
You're missing the whole EU...

As a USC, I know how difficult it can be for us to get residency for many countries. Countries where my UKC spouse can waltz right in. Yes, he can get me a permit, but what if he walks off a cliff one of these days? Or..

He's lived a good chunk of his life (his formative adult years anyway) in the UK. He may find he does want (or need) to go back there sometime.
Chances for dual citizenship are limited. Anyone who passes one up should have a very good reason for it.
While my spouse has his USC now as well, we haven't lived in the UK so I won't have that opportunity. So, I'm stuck with keeping him healthy.

It really should be your fiance's informed decision, but you're the only one we have to talk to. Hopefully you'll share this info with him.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly - no children planned and no return planned either!!
Worth doing regardless because you just don't know what happens, have a read of the Moving Back to section to see.

Also, another possible issue, depending on his exact birthdate, but did he sign up for Selective Service?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

You're missing the whole EU...

As a USC, I know how difficult it can be for us to get residency for many countries. Countries where my UKC spouse can waltz right in. Yes, he can get me a permit, but what if he walks off a cliff one of these days? Or..

He's lived a good chunk of his life (his formative adult years anyway) in the UK. He may find he does want (or need) to go back there sometime.
Chances for dual citizenship are limited. Anyone who passes one up should have a very good reason for it.
While my spouse has his USC now as well, we haven't lived in the UK so I won't have that opportunity. So, I'm stuck with keeping him healthy.

It really should be your fiance's informed decision, but you're the only one we have to talk to. Hopefully you'll share this info with him.

he has been reading it over my shoulder all evening- just gets me to do all the posting so he can watch 24 at the same time!!!

Bob- he says he doesn't know what selective service is? and its 6th Feb 1979
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing the point?
You might get divorced, you might die....he'll be out of luck then and stuck with the US if it doesn't pan out.

For something that's so easy to get, has no negative impact either, would seriously be daft not to get it while he is still eligible, plus you never know how hard it might be in the future.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob- he says he doesn't know what selective service is? and its 6th Feb 1979
For the draft. As a USC all over 18's had to sign up for it before they hit 26, could be an issue to sponsoring, I know it is going for US citizenship, but it might be nothing.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
You might get divorced, you might die....he'll be out of luck then and stuck with the US if it doesn't pan out.

For something that's so easy to get, has no negative impact either, would seriously be daft not to get it while he is still eligible, plus you never know how hard it might be in the future.
ok point taken! just another thing to add to the list of things to sort out!