Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying in the UK and moving to the US

Marrying in the UK and moving to the US

Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Rich83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying in the UK and moving to the US

I'm not 100% sure if I'm posting this in the right bit but here goes.

My fiance and I are planning to marry in the UK sometime next year. I am a UK citizen and my fiance is a US citizen.

What documents does she need to apply for before she comes over to marry also where does she apply for them and do they cost anything and how long do they take? I did some looking around the web but I got redirected so many times it became too confusing. I know she needs a "visit for marriage visa" but that is about it...

Also after we are married I am planning to move to the States with her. I know you have to have an interview at a consulate and something about a medical ?. Do I have to do this before we get married or afterwards. Also do you need to have a job lined up over there before you go?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I just want to make sure everything is in line before we start booking places etc.

Rich
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:19 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Marrying in the UK and moving to the US

Originally Posted by Rich83
What documents does she need to apply for before she comes over to marry also where does she apply for them and do they cost anything and how long do they take? I did some looking around the web but I got redirected so many times it became too confusing. I know she needs a "visit for marriage visa" but that is about it...
britainusa.com has all the information and applications can be made online. Expect this part of the process to be simple, straightforward and speedy.

Also after we are married I am planning to move to the States with her. I know you have to have an interview at a consulate and something about a medical ?. Do I have to do this before we get married or afterwards.
If you're getting married in the UK and intend to live in the US then your interview at the Embassy will take place after you are married, (once you and she have completed the visa application process).

Also do you need to have a job lined up over there before you go?
No
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Rich83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
britainusa.com has all the information and applications can be made online. Expect this part of the process to be simple, straightforward and speedy.

If you're getting married in the UK and intend to live in the US then your interview at the Embassy will take place after you are married, (once you and she have completed the visa application process).

No
Ta
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK

Make that many many months after your marriage. By the time she completes the forms, mails them back to the US for processing, they are processed and approved, paperwork is sent to the US Consulate in London, you get your medical and all your documentation together, you are looking at 6 months or a year or more.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help you can give me. I just want to make sure everything is in line before we start booking places etc.

Rich
The process is the same as it was 6 months ago when you asked; I hope you've been doing some research since then and only accidentally worded your post to sound like you know nothing about it, when in fact you've got everything set to go and are just confirming.
Right?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:49 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The process is the same as it was 6 months ago when you asked; I hope you've been doing some research since then and only accidentally worded your post to sound like you know nothing about it, when in fact you've got everything set to go and are just confirming.
Right?
Well, given the fact that the guy has been asking the same questions on here for 2 years now, I'm not sure how likely that is.

What I find interesting is that he seems very eager to get himself to the States, and yet they have decided to take a roundabout way of doing it by getting married in the UK first. You'd think they'd rather only have one immigration process to deal with and pay for, not two. Unnecessary complications, if you ask me...

~ Jenney
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

berthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really nice

Hi,

I did the same thing a couple of years ago, and I'm about to petition for AOS.

The fiancee, in my case, came over to the UK on a visa waiver / visitors 180 day admission, in which time she returned to the US before that time was up, where I joined her and went to the British Consulate office in LA. We got her Fiancee Visa there, then I imported her again ready to work, marry etc.

The following april she was pregnant so we then applied through the US Embassy (with the GREAT help of our team here - I feel guilty for not reciprocating of visiting this site for a while now, but here's my chance to help you - I hope), get your sponser lined up, and apply for your marriage based CR1, all the info you need is here. I spoke to an immigration lawyer in the UK, I think she cost about fifty quid for a quick run over of the docs which set my mind at rest, at least. This just verified what I had was good to go, what else to collect.

It took from September to December to get the interview date and all went pretty smoothly.

Interview was a few easy questions, not the stereotyped interrogation or Spanish Inquisistion, that no-one expects (in my case). Also my wife was back in the US at the time of my interview as she was then 5 months pregnant and coulnd't fly after that.

Good luck and reply soon. pretty much all of this info is in previous posts, just search posts by / to me and it'll fill you in on the process.

Watch your head in the infamous WC at the medical though...

Berthman

I'm not 100% sure if I'm posting this in the right bit but here goes.

My fiance and I are planning to marry in the UK sometime next year. I am a UK citizen and my fiance is a US citizen.

Also after we are married I am planning to move to the States with her. I know you have to have an interview at a consulate and something about a medical ?. Do I have to do this before we get married or afterwards. Also do you need to have a job lined up over there before you go?

Rich
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:45 pm
Jim Fidler

She'll need to apply at the nearest UK consulate for a Marriage Visitor
visa. Bear in mind she will need to be resident in the UK for 7 nights
before submitting a notice of marriage application to a Register Office that
deals with 'foreigners' and then you will have to wait a further 15 nights
before you can get married.

Jim

"Rich83" <member26921@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > I'm not 100% sure if I'm posting this in the right bit but here goes.
    > My fiance and I are planning to marry in the UK sometime next year. I am
    > a UK citizen and my fiance is a US citizen.
    > What documents does she need to apply for before she comes over to marry
    > also where does she apply for them and do they cost anything and how
    > long do they take? I did some looking around the web but I got
    > redirected so many times it became too confusing. I know she needs a
    > "visit for marriage visa" but that is about it...
    > Also after we are married I am planning to move to the States with her.
    > I know you have to have an interview at a consulate and something about
    > a medical ?. Do I have to do this before we get married or afterwards.
    > Also do you need to have a job lined up over there before you go?
    > Thanks for any help you can give me. I just want to make sure everything
    > is in line before we start booking places etc.
    > Rich
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berthman
Watch your head in the infamous WC at the medical though...

Berthman
hello, our little long lost soul---how's the kidlet? In college by now, I expect!

FYI, a couple of things have changed since your process:

To file directly in London, the USC must be genuinely resident in the UK---typically for 2+ years. Otherwise, file in the US at the Service Center of your US address/last US address.

Also, the infamous toilet is no more. Doc Phalen retired & the medicals are done somewhere horribly modern, by what I hear.

best to youse!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

berthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really nice

Hi all,

Please see my little toddler, she's now almost 15 months old, been walking for 7 months, trying soooo hard to talk now, and just a bundle of happiness. The perfect kid!!

Thanks for the update.

Has anything changed for my application for Removal of CR1 conditions / Adjustment of Status? What is the procedure these days?

I can't believe that I've been here for more than 18 months now!! Time flies...

How are you Noorah?

Berthman

Originally Posted by meauxna
hello, our little long lost soul---how's the kidlet? In college by now, I expect!

FYI, a couple of things have changed since your process:

To file directly in London, the USC must be genuinely resident in the UK---typically for 2+ years. Otherwise, file in the US at the Service Center of your US address/last US address.

Also, the infamous toilet is no more. Doc Phalen retired & the medicals are done somewhere horribly modern, by what I hear.

best to youse!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berthman
Has anything changed for my application for Removal of CR1 conditions / Adjustment of Status? What is the procedure these days?

I can't believe that I've been here for more than 18 months now!! Time flies...

How are you Noorah?

Berthman
Hi Berthman!

Congratulations on the little one! She's a cutie! Things are going great over here, too. Sadegh's coming up on 1 year anniversary of PR status this month, so we'll be removing his conditions next year. For your removal of conditions, you'll file the I-751 form and submit it with backup to your service center.

Nice to hear from you!
Rene
Old Jul 9th 2006, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again everyone,

I'll try and get on here more often!!

Berthman

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Berthman!

Congratulations on the little one! She's a cutie! Things are going great over here, too. Sadegh's coming up on 1 year anniversary of PR status this month, so we'll be removing his conditions next year. For your removal of conditions, you'll file the I-751 form and submit it with backup to your service center.

Nice to hear from you!
Rene