Marrying in Texas

Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all
Default Marrying in Texas

My fiance (UKC) and I (USC) will be getting married in a few months at the Justice of the Peace in my home state of Texas.

We're planning on filing for the Immigrant Visa after this occurs. I just wanted to make sure that this was definitely the first step in the process? He can come here just on the visa waiver and get married to me, and then him go back to the UK a few weeks after (less than 90 days visit)? This is what I've come to understand.

Also a bit semi-related... what exactly do you or have some of you told the I.O. when coming to get married to a USC in the States? Did you tell them you were coming to get married? Or did you just say the same things you had said before on previous visits? I just don't want my fiance to run into any problems or make the I.O. think he plans on staying illegally after we get married. Just wanted some insight.

Thank you.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 11:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying in Texas

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
My fiance (UKC) and I (USC) will be getting married in a few months at the Justice of the Peace in my home state of Texas.

We're planning on filing for the Immigrant Visa after this occurs. I just wanted to make sure that this was definitely the first step in the process? He can come here just on the visa waiver and get married to me, and then him go back to the UK a few weeks after (less than 90 days visit)? This is what I've come to understand.
This is all correct.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2009, 11:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to make sure that this was definitely the first step in the process?
Yes.

He can come here just on the visa waiver and get married to me, and then him go back to the UK a few weeks after (less than 90 days visit)?
Yes.

... what exactly do you or have some of you told the I.O. when coming to get married to a USC in the States?
If he is specifically asked whether or not he's going to get married, he must say "yes". If the question isn't asked, he isn't obligated to volunteer that information. Most folks simply say that they're on holiday and have come for pleasure - both of which are true.

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Also a bit semi-related... what exactly do you or have some of you told the I.O. when coming to get married to a USC in the States? Did you tell them you were coming to get married? Or did you just say the same things you had said before on previous visits? I just don't want my fiance to run into any problems or make the I.O. think he plans on staying illegally after we get married. Just wanted some insight.Thank you.
Due to the fact that your fiance is planning to marry you and then return to the UK, it would be a good idea if he were to bring lots of evidence of current ties to the UK with him. This would then be presented as evidence that your fiance's replies to any questions about marriage are credible and that he is indeed likely to return to the UK.

Things like poll tax bills, utility bills, proof of onging employment, rent / mortgage papers, and of course a return ticket, are all good. A working knowldege of the immigrant visa process would be good to have as well as it would show the officer that your fiance has credibility through demonstrating honest, genuine, planned intent.

Of course, it is actually likely that he wouldn't be asked about marriage - but because of the potential gravity of the situation should he be asked, it would be a good idea to have all those aforemnentioned things to present.

As with any questionios that are legally admissable, always tell the truth, answer only the question asked and clarify if one is not sure of what has been asked.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

jack1892 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a similar theme, I'm planning to visit my wife in Texas but we've started the process of the immigration visa. Does the same apply, I'd have a return ticket and would have other documention available. Just wonder if it would show on their record that the process is ongoing and of that brings up other problems?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How are the poll tax and utility bills evidence that he is likely to return? They are strictly historical in nature.

Evidence of ongoing employment or a rental contract at least have some future associated with them (although a simple phone call to say 'good bye' can effectively take care of that, albeit with potentially adverse consequences).

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Due to the fact that your fiance is planning to marry you and then return to the UK, it would be a good idea if he were to bring lots of evidence of current ties to the UK with him. This would then be presented as evidence that your fiance's replies to any questions about marriage are credible and that he is indeed likely to return to the UK.

Things like poll tax bills, utility bills, proof of onging employment, rent / mortgage papers, and of course a return ticket, are all good.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack1892
Just wonder if it would show on their record that the process is ongoing and of that brings up other problems?
I seriously doubt that it'd show up when queried by the officer at the POE.

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;7945522]I seriously doubt that it'd show up when queried by the officer at the POE.

Ian[/Q

Appologies as this is lazy question, but is the visa waiver valid for 90 days at a time or in a year?

I'm pretty sure it's the former but, you know, I lazy.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
How are the poll tax and utility bills evidence that he is likely to return? They are strictly historical in nature.

Evidence of ongoing employment or a rental contract at least have some future associated with them (although a simple phone call to say 'good bye' can effectively take care of that, albeit with potentially adverse consequences).

Regards, JEff
As usual, it looks you're just picking holes in my post for the hell of it. I'm trying to help the poster here, get off my back will you? Have you got any better suggestions for demonstrating ties to the UK? Rather than simply spending your time criticising others' posts on here, as is your want, why don't you come up with better suggestions? Does it ever occur to you that in your drive to look clever by coming out with some of the things that you do that actually make yourself look a fool?

As yet, science isn't able to produce bills from the future so the best people can do right now is to produce current evidence of ties to a property. One of the best ways of doing this, and a way which is accepted in the UK itself as evidence of residency, is to produce bills such as poll tax and utility bills.

Credible evidence is that which can be shown to have a history and / or be extant. It's all about painting a picture of a person, in this case the fiance, who has credibility and who appears to have ties to the UK. Nothing can prove that anyone would anyone would ever do anything. For officials in immigration (and others) it's all about creating an opinion about a subject and then balancing and making considered decisions.

Here you go JEff, here's a few more hairs for you to split.

IIIIII
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jack1892
... is the visa waiver valid for 90 days at a time or in a year?
It's valid for 90 days per visit.

... but, you know, I lazy.
Yes!

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

... by coming out with some of the things that you do that actually make yourself look a fool?
No, he doesn't. Why? Because he is 100% correct... regardless of how vehemently you make suggestions to the contrary.

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, he doesn't. Why? Because he is 100% correct... regardless of how vehemently you make suggestions to the contrary.

Ian
Ian,

So are you seriously saying that JEff is correct in his latest criticism of me that current poll tax bills and utiliity bills will not assist in showing that someone is likely to return to the UK? If you are then I am surprsied. I really, genuinely, thought you had more sense than that. Loyalty to fellow posters is one thing, defending the indefensible is quite another and imo JEff's pathetic, pedantic nit picking of people's posts, fall into that category. To say a bill is no good because it is historic is child level argument - any bill is historic the moment it leaves the press.

If you are supporting JEff's view then could you explain for the benefit of others why it is not a good idea to submit current poll tax and utility bills to assist in demonstrating ongoing and maintained residence in the UK? I'm correct on this one and you know it. Like I said, somethings are indefensible. I have no gripe with you Ian but to back JEff up in this situation is surprising. I am not the only person whose enjoyment of this forum he has ruined (and yes, I have taken it up with the Administrator).
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you are supporting JEff's view then could you explain for the benefit of others why it is not a good idea to submit current poll tax and utility bills to assist in demonstrating ongoing and maintained residence in the UK? I'm correct on this one and you know it...
Your not, showing past ties does nothing to say you will be coming back.

As already mentioned, better things would be showing you still have a mortgage, rental lease agreement, letter from employer saying you will be back at x date, you've got a kid to take care of or whatever.

Sure those things can be cancelled, but a lot more hassle than some past paid bill.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Your not, showing past ties does nothing to say you will be coming back.

As already mentioned, better things would be showing you still have a mortgage, rental lease agreement, letter from employer saying you will be back at x date, you've got a kid to take care of or whatever.

Sure those things can be cancelled, but a lot more hassle than some past paid bill.
Hi Bob,

So you're saying current poll tax accounts, current utility accounts will not assist? I'm stunned and I beg to differ and, with the greatest of respect, I believe you to be incorrect as these things are accepted as evidence all the time. Also, at AOS, such documents are used to establsih evidence of current domicile. The point you and others seem to be missing is that these bills, when presented in conjunction with other evidence, go together to paint a picture of the person. They form part of the overall content.

I did suggest using rent / mortgage papers. Check post 4 of this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.