As stated recently, I am a green-card alien who has applied for US
citizenship, and intend to apply for a fiancee visa for my Thai gf as
soon as it is granted. What effect would marrying my gf in Thailand
before gaining citizenship or applying for a fiancee visa have on my
ability to get her into the country? A fiancee visa would then be the
wrong one to apply for, wouldn't it?

Ian
Hi:

If you marry you fiance in Thailand, you can then file an I-130 for FB-2A classification. As soon as you naturalize, the SAME I-130 is automatically converted to an "Immediate Relaitve" petition [you have to tell the Service Center about this so it gets moved up on processing].

With the FB-2A petition pending, the very day you become a citizen, you can then file an I-129F for "K-3" classification.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:12 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying overseas

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

If you marry you fiance in Thailand, you can then file an I-130 for FB-2A classification. As soon as you naturalize, the SAME I-130 is automatically converted to an "Immediate Relaitve" petition [you have to tell the Service Center about this so it gets moved up on processing].

With the FB-2A petition pending, the very day you become a citizen, you can then file an I-129F for "K-3" classification.
I didn't know you could "upgrade" the I-130 petition!! That's smart!!. Thanks Mr F
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Kitten?

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
He could but it takes so frigging long
Kitten wants me to go to bed, he is sleepy lol.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:37 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Richard Cochran
There are two types of fiancee visas. The K-1 is for genuine fiancees, that is, people who intend to marry but are not yet married. The K-3 is for spouses, people who are already married (why the USCIS insists that immigrant spouses apply for a non-immigrant fiancee visa is beyond me, but that's the rules).
Lest there be any confusion, there is actually only one type of fiance(e) visa, the K1. If you are already married, you are no longer a fiance(e) but a spouse, and thus not eligible for the K1 fiance(e) visa. If you have a foreign spouse, then you may apply for the K3 spousal visa. Both types of visas are non-immigrant visas, but they are not both "fiance(e)" visas.

There is no such thing as a "genuine fiance(e)" -- you're either a fiancee or you're not.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 27th 2004, 1:55 pm
Ian

> I
    > read a statistic a while ago (local newspaper) that 80% of immigrants to
    > the US settle at last initially in CA - dunno how reliable it was
    > though. Does anyone have any reliable sources for this info?

This does not directly answer your question, but is interesting nonetheless:

http://www.migrationinformation.org/DataTools/maps.cfm

I would not have credited your statistic if I hadn't seen this.

Ian

Old Jun 27th 2004, 1:58 pm
Ian

That looks like it will speed up the process a little bit. Thanks a lot
for sharing your expertise.

Ian

Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:31 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
Kitten?
Yeah my 2 month old kitty!!!
He is so cute!!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:49 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

He is so cute!!!
So what did you finally name him tweeks
Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:01 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ian
    > I
    > read a statistic a while ago (local newspaper) that 80% of immigrants to
    > the US settle at last initially in CA - dunno how reliable it was
    > though. Does anyone have any reliable sources for this info?

This does not directly answer your question, but is interesting nonetheless:

http://www.migrationinformation.org/DataTools/maps.cfm

I would not have credited your statistic if I hadn't seen this.

Ian
Thank you! That is very interesting. I suspect that the USCIS site would have something at least approaching a definitive statistic (if there is such a thing) on the settlement habits of legal immigrants but I've been too busy/lazy to look
Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:02 pm

Originally posted by Ranjini
So what did you finally name him tweeks
I don't know yet girlie!!, Did you get my pm?. Oh yeah you did, you know I didn't have a name for him yet, doh!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:14 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I don't know yet girlie!!, Did you get my pm?. Oh yeah you did, you know I didn't have a name for him yet, doh!!
I can think of two suggestions you had
Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:17 pm

Originally posted by Ranjini
I can think of two suggestions you had

Tell me please!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Whew! Was worried that you were refering to your hubby there for a minute...to each his own.

ALP

He is so cute!!!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

The USCIS does have these statistics. Here is the url:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/shared/abo...el/table13.xls
I was very surprised to see Texas way behind California and slightly behind Florida and New York in the number of immigrants. IMHO, it is the most hospitable state in the country for immigrants and far more hospitable than California where resentment of immigrants is very strong.

Originally posted by lairdside
Thank you! That is very interesting. I suspect that the USCIS site would have something at least approaching a definitive statistic (if there is such a thing) on the settlement habits of legal immigrants but I've been too busy/lazy to look
Old Jun 28th 2004, 1:24 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
The USCIS does have these statistics. Here is the url:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/shared/abo...el/table13.xls
I was very surprised to see Texas way behind California and slightly behind Florida and New York in the number of immigrants. IMHO, it is the most hospitable state in the country for immigrants and far more hospitable than California where resentment of immigrants is very strong.
I have to say that I've never noticed much resentment in CA directed towards legal immigrants. I have noticed negative attitudes towards illegal immigration (with Mexico being highlighted as the focused culprit) but the two in my experience are treated as different kettles of fish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.