Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying L1 visa holder - does entry on visa waiver before cuase problems?

Marrying L1 visa holder - does entry on visa waiver before cuase problems?

Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

ozlozza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying L1 visa holder - does entry on visa waiver before cuase problems?

Does visiting my fiance in the US who is on a L1 visa before we get married in September jeapodise my chances of obtaining an L2 visa after the honeymoon and marriage in the UK??
Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying L1 visa holder - does entry on visa waiver before cuase problems?

Originally Posted by ozlozza
Does visiting my fiance in the US who is on a L1 visa before we get married in September jeapodise my chances of obtaining an L2 visa after the honeymoon and marriage in the UK??
No.............. why would it?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

ozlozza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marrying L1 visa holder - does entry on visa waiver before cuase problems?

its just that we were told that entering on a business visa, then applying for a L1 visa was not a good idea and likely to get you refused. Just wanted to check I wasn't gonna have to live in a different country to my new husband once married!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozlozza
its just that we were told that entering on a business visa, then applying for a L1 visa was not a good idea and likely to get you refused. Just wanted to check I wasn't gonna have to live in a different country to my new husband once married!
I'm getting confused. Are you saying that you are planning to switch from an B1/2 visa to an L1 for yourself whilst in the US? I do not think that is possible.

However, in your first post you said that your future husband is already in the US on an L1, and that you merely want to visit him there prior to returning to the UK to get married. After you marry, you would apply for your L2 visa at the US Consulate in London.

There is of course a theoretical risk of you being refused entry for your visit if the officer at the POE thought you were planning to stay. But that is not the question you were asking... (FWIWm, proof of ties to the UK and your wedding plans there should allay this concern.)
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:49 pm
J. J. Farrell

On Jun 15, 8:56 am, ozlozza <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > > Does visiting my fiance in the US who is on a L1 visa before we get
> > > married in September jeapodise my chances of obtaining an L2 visa
> > > after the honeymoon and marriage in the UK??
>
> > No.............. why would it?
>
> its just that we were told that entering on a business visa, then
> applying for a L1 visa was not a good idea and likely to get you
> refused. Just wanted to check I wasn't gonna have to live in a
> different country to my new husband once married!

Your second message doesn't seem much related to your first. Who would
be applying for an L-1 visa? Who would be entering on a business visa?

If you're married to an L-1 holder your entitled to an L-2 visa. As
long as you haven't broken any immigration rules, you'll get one when
you apply for one after your marriage.