Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

Wikiposts

Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

Originally Posted by Wheretostart
Again, Huge thanks to you!!! I am close to tears with stress over all of this, and it is supposed to be the happiest time of my life!!!
I'll do my research with the advice that you have given, I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me!
No problem, you're welcome. It seems overwhelming right now, but just enjoy being engaged today, and then begin doing research on how to get married in the UK, and then the Immigrant Visa.

Congratulations on your engagement.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

we currently live in Thailand and had planned on moving to the states to be around while his niece is still small.
hi, congratulations on your engagement.

Further to Rene's questions, can you tell us more about living in Thailand? How long have you (both) been there, and under what circumstances? Are you working there? When you do plan to leave? Have you considered marrying there?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

Again, Huge thanks to you!!! I am close to tears with stress over all of this, and it is supposed to be the happiest time of my life!!!
I'll do my research with the advice that you have given, I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me!
My best advice to you... Listen to Rene aka Noorah and follow the guides on the forum.

The wait for a K1 Visa can be painful without your fiance but mine took from October 2008 to May 2009 as I said before, in the grand scheme of things it's not that long.

I got married secretly in May 2009 (Justice of the Peace came to our house!) without telling friends or family, then my family came over for the 'main' wedding in October (we told the preacher we were already married and he just played along).

Start your K1 Visa application now if you want to get married in USA.

I will make you aware, try save up as much cash as you can in the meantime. For me life is tough in the USA but there are many benefits if you do well, are lucky and chose the right path...

Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:59 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
2. Do you want to be separated as an engaged couple or a marriage couple?
Might there be a version of DCF for people living in Thailand?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
There is, but I'm not sure that's where I would go with it.. but it just might openn up some other alternatives for them.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There might be. Something for the OP to look into, if they have lived in Thailand long enough with the right status and are willing to get married there.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

a,

Excellent choice of words - "a version of" - there is a CIS District Office in Bangkok where one could submit their I-130 petition if they can demonstrate that Thailand is their place of residence.

But then there's the problem of quickly re-establishing domicile in the USA.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jan 5th 2010 at 5:44 am.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:43 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter where they get, or got, married. One submits their I-130 petition to the CIS office (or consulate, for DCF) that serves their place of residence.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There might be. Something for the OP to look into, if they have lived in Thailand long enough with the right status and are willing to get married there.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ajcmals
My best advice to you... Listen to Rene aka Noorah and follow the guides on the forum.

The wait for a K1 Visa can be painful without your fiance but mine took from October 2008 to May 2009 as I said before, in the grand scheme of things it's not that long.

I got married secretly in May 2009 (Justice of the Peace came to our house!) without telling friends or family, then my family came over for the 'main' wedding in October (we told the preacher we were already married and he just played along).

Start your K1 Visa application now if you want to get married in USA.

I will make you aware, try save up as much cash as you can in the meantime. For me life is tough in the USA but there are many benefits if you do well, are lucky and chose the right path...

I started thinking about this idea last night!!
Is it possible to get married to start the process of visas, then when it is all sorted, we can then have our 'real' wedding!
I said earlier! this is supposed to be the happiest time in my life! It is turning into a big ball of stress right now!!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi, congratulations on your engagement.

Further to Rene's questions, can you tell us more about living in Thailand? How long have you (both) been there, and under what circumstances? Are you working there? When you do plan to leave? Have you considered marrying there?
We have both been living in Thailand for 3 years, we work in private schools here and have non-immigrant B visas, we met 2 years ago and have decided that Thailand is no longer for us. The 2 year itch got us, but we wanted to wait out another year here as some great job opportunities arose.

We plan on leaving at the end of the academic year (April) and had planned on going to the states, then marry in the UK. (Looks like that is out of the question now though!)

We don't want to marry out here, it is a big deal for us to have our families with us when we do. (Plus, we have been here so long that the attraction of an exotic wedding here, just isn't the same!!!)
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:11 pm

We plan on leaving at the end of the academic year (April) and had planned on going to the states, then marry in the UK. (Looks like that is out of the question now though!)
It's just the 2-year plan.

Depends on when YOU want to live in the US and how you two feel about when you want to be separated. Or, having two weddings.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:39 pm

Is it possible to get married to start the process of visas, then when it is all sorted, we can then have our 'real' wedding!
Yes, it's possible. Many people do that.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:01 am

Wts,

If you like this idea and want to consider it let's recognize a few things semantic.
- A wedding ceremony is not getting married. Not in Thailand, anyway.
- To get married in Thailand the couple goes to their local amphur, signs the registration papers, and they are married. This being recognized as a marriage by the Thai government, it is recognized as a marriage by the US government as well.

As foreigners in Thailand, you will each have fill out a form and have it notarized by your respective consulates certifying that you are presently single. If either of you are divorced there is a form to certify that as well.

Take these forms to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be 'legalized'.

Take the notarized and legalized forms to an amphur office, fill out the registration form, and you are married.

Your husband is now ready to submit his I-130 to the CIS office in Bangkok.

Do this now and you should have your immigrant visa by the time you are ready to leave in April. Provided that he can pass the financial and domicile hurdles of I-864.

Have your wedding wherever and whenever you want after you leave Thailand.

May I suggest a consultation with Bill White, a US immigration attorney practicing in Bangkok. http://usfamilyvisa.com/ Give him a call, he's a great guy and can explain in detail what I've summarized for you. Also the US embassy's web site has info on getting married in Thailand, I expect that the UK embassy's web site does also.

Regards, JEff

[Disclosures: I got married in Thailand, and Bill White is my attorney for matters Thai.]

I started thinking about this idea last night!!
I said earlier! this is supposed to be the happiest time in my life! It is turning into a big ball of stress right now!!!

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jan 6th 2010 at 5:30 am.