Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of
Unhappy Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

OK, so, I am a british female marrying my American boyfriend.
I am finding it so hard to start finding information about how we are to go about all of this. we currently live in Thailand and had planned on moving to the states to be around while his niece is still small. We just got engaged over Christmas and I am now fretting about how long it will take to get the necesary paperwork together and what I actually need to get. We dont plan on being in the UK until the wedding, which I understand I may need to do.
Where can I find this information without being scared to tears at the pages and paged of useless information being thrown at me?
I had kind of forgotten about all of this stuff, I have just been pulled on my lovely cloud 9!!!! So much to think about!!!!!
Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marrying an American...Where to start!!!??

Not an expert here, but I guess the first place to start is to determine whether you want to apply for a fiance visa or a spousal visa.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

court is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wheretostart
I am finding it so hard to start finding information about how we are to go about all of this. we currently live in Thailand and had planned on moving to the states to be around while his niece is still small. We just got engaged over Christmas and I am now fretting about how long it will take to get the necesary paperwork together and what I actually need to get. We dont plan on being in the UK until the wedding, which I understand I may need to do.
Where can I find this information without being scared to tears at the pages and paged of useless information being thrown at me?
I had kind of forgotten about all of this stuff, I have just been pulled on my lovely cloud 9!!!! So much to think about!!!!!
Are you marrying in the UK or the US? If you plan on marrying in the US, you'll need a fiance visa and documentation of the length you two have been together (someone else will probably correct me, but I think it's two years?). If you're marrying in the UK, you'll apply for a spousal visa when you two head over.

I know how much of a nightmare it can be. My Irish boyfriend and I (American) are dreading the day we have to start figuring all of this out!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

From filing the first stage to getting my K-1 Fiance Visa - Started in October 2008, had my K1 Visa by May 2009. I got married May 2009 and got my Green Card in July 2009.

Use all you can in this forum, including the guides.

Everybody's situation is different but that's how it happened for me. Good Luck!

Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by court
a) If you plan on marrying in the US, you'll need a fiance visa

b) and documentation of the length you two have been together (someone else will probably correct me, but I think it's two years?).

c) If you're marrying in the UK, you'll apply for a spousal visa when you two head over.
a) Why? You don't need any visa to marry in the US. They can use a fiance visa to marry and stay in the US.

b) Nope. The couple need to have met in person in the last two years.

c) If they are marrying in the UK, the USC will need a fiance visa for the UK - you need such a visa to enter the UK and marry someone.

After that, yes, they'd apply for an Immigrant Visa (CR-1) for the UKC.

I don't want to appear mean, but you really should do more reading and less 'advising' at this stage, until your knowledge of the processes is considerably higher than it is now.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) Why? You don't need any visa to marry in the US. They can use a fiance visa to marry and stay in the US.

b) Nope. The couple need to have met in person in the last two years.

c) If they are marrying in the UK, the USC will need a fiance visa for the UK - you need such a visa to enter the UK and marry someone.

After that, yes, they'd apply for an Immigrant Visa (CR-1) for the UKC.

I don't want to appear mean, but you really should do more reading and less 'advising' at this stage, until your knowledge of the processes is considerably higher than it is now.
Britishguy36, Thanks for the info! How did you manage to get so clued up on all of this? I have just looked at the fiance visa, but it only lasts 4 months!!! not quite what I was hoping for!!!!
We have been together since we met, and I just hope that all of this does not force us to be apart during our engagement!!!
There is just so many little things to take care of!!! And I thought that organising the wedding would be the tricky part!!!
I need a check list to make sure all is completed I think!!!!
Thanks for all of your help so far! It is just too confusing! I live and work abroad at the moment, but this is something else!!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just looked at the fiance visa, but it only lasts 4 months!!! not quite what I was hoping for!!!!
I don't know where you got that information, but it's not true. From start to finish, the K-1 fiance visa takes about 6 - 8 months to process. The visa itself is valid for 6 months to use to enter the USA once, for the purpose of getting married to your USC fiance. Once married, you begin the process of applying for your green card.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to slow down a bit here and make a plan. Ask yourself these questions:

1. Where do you want to get married? USA or UK?
2. Do you want to be separated as an engaged couple or a marriage couple?
3. Are you going to be living in the UK for a while, if you marry there? Maybe 6 months or more, before making the move to the USA?
4. When would be the ideal date to make THE big move to the USA?
5. How important is it to you (the immigrant) to be able to work immediately in the USA?

Once you answer these questions, the immigration path becomes more clear.

There are only two ways: The K-1 fiance visa, or the spouse Immigrant Visa. We have wiki guides to both.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know where you got that information, but it's not true. From start to finish, the K-1 fiance visa takes about 6 - 8 months to process. The visa itself is valid for 6 months to use to enter the USA once, for the purpose of getting married to your USC fiance. Once married, you begin the process of applying for your green card.

Rene
The form states "It is valid for four months" maybe I read that wrong though!
I dont want to marry in the states, this is the problem I am having. Can I get a 12 month working visa, then leave and marry in the UK? then apply for spouse visa? I know I must sound clueless right now, but I am! only just started to look into this and it is daunting to say the least! Had all these plans, but had kind of forgotten about the restrictions what with neither of us actually living in our respective countries at present.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you manage to get so clued up on all of this?
Almost exclusively from this website and forum. I asked, and listened to the answers. If you do the same, you'll be fine.

I'm still only a amateur compared to some on here!

Can I get a 12 month working visa
No. The US is one of the world's hardest countries to get visas for, they don't just give out 'working visas' to whoever wants them.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

You have to slow down a bit here and make a plan. Ask yourself these questions:

1. Where do you want to get married? USA or UK?
2. Do you want to be separated as an engaged couple or a marriage couple?
3. Are you going to be living in the UK for a while, if you marry there? Maybe 6 months or more, before making the move to the USA?
4. When would be the ideal date to make THE big move to the USA?
5. How important is it to you (the immigrant) to be able to work immediately in the USA?

Once you answer these questions, the immigration path becomes more clear.

There are only two ways: The K-1 fiance visa, or the spouse Immigrant Visa. We have wiki guides to both.

Rene
Wow, Rene that was really helpful! Thank you! So it looks like there is no way around this separation thing then!!?? Not what I was hoping for!!
You have made things a lot clearer for me! just what I needed, So a huge thank you to you!!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:39 pm

The form states "It is valid for four months" maybe I read that wrong though!
Ah, I see. The I-129F petition approval is valid for four months...BUT...if the process takes longer than that, the US Embassy will automatically extend that validity...so nothing for you to worry about there.

I dont want to marry in the states, this is the problem I am having.
This sentence clears up your problem 100%. If you do a K-1 fiance visa, the marriage MUST take place in the USA. If you definitely do not want to get married in the USA, then your only path is to get married outside the USA (wherever you want), and then do a spouse Immigrant Visa. At least now you know what visa to research. Look at our Wiki guide for CR-1 Immigrant Visa.

Very basically, after you marry and have all the documents you need in hand, the USC files an I-130 petition to get the ball rolling. The whole process takes about 8 - 10 months, you will need police report(s), a full medical, and then will attend an interview. You get your immigrant visa, enter the USA using it, and become a US permanent resident from Day 1. Of course there's a lot more to it than that, but there's a start for you.

Be aware that the USC will need a special visa to marry you in the UK.

Can I get a 12 month working visa, then leave and marry in the UK? then apply for spouse visa?
Sure, if you qualify for some sort of visa to work in the USA, you can come to the USA on that visa, and then leave to marry in the UK whenever you want. After the marriage, you'll do what I described in the above paragraph.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:41 pm

Wow, Rene that was really helpful! Thank you! So it looks like there is no way around this separation thing then!!?? Not what I was hoping for!!
The only way around a separation is if the USC can live with you overseas until you get your visa to the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sure, if you qualify for some sort of visa to work in the USA, you can come to the USA on that visa, and then leave to marry in the UK whenever you want. After the marriage, you'll do what I described in the above paragraph.
I feel it should be pointed out that more than 99% of folks wanting to enter the US to work have no chance of the visa required.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, I see. The I-129F petition approval is valid for four months...BUT...if the process takes longer than that, the US Embassy will automatically extend that validity...so nothing for you to worry about there.

This sentence clears up your problem 100%. If you do a K-1 fiance visa, the marriage MUST take place in the USA. If you definitely do not want to get married in the USA, then your only path is to get married outside the USA (wherever you want), and then do a spouse Immigrant Visa. At least now you know what visa to research. Look at our Wiki guide for CR-1 Immigrant Visa.

Very basically, after you marry and have all the documents you need in hand, the USC files an I-130 petition to get the ball rolling. The whole process takes about 8 - 10 months, you will need police report(s), a full medical, and then will attend an interview. You get your immigrant visa, enter the USA using it, and become a US permanent resident from Day 1. Of course there's a lot more to it than that, but there's a start for you.

Be aware that the USC will need a special visa to marry you in the UK.

Rene
Again, Huge thanks to you!!! I am close to tears with stress over all of this, and it is supposed to be the happiest time of my life!!!
I'll do my research with the advice that you have given, I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.