Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marry in the UK or in the US?

Marry in the UK or in the US?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marry in the UK or in the US?

Originally Posted by John Manley
Based on your questions, the K-1 or K-3 are your better options.
I disagree. The K-3 is no longer the best option. The direct route to the Immigrant Visa is far better for a spouse than the K-3 is. The K-3 is no faster than the Immigrant Visa anymore, and the K-3 involved more steps and more fees once inside the USA to get the green card.

Definitely stick with either the K-1 (unmarried) or Immigrant Visa (married). Never mind the K-3.

Rene
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:38 am
Just Joined

amyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I disagree. The K-3 is no longer the best option. The direct route to the Immigrant Visa is far better for a spouse than the K-3 is. The K-3 is no faster than the Immigrant Visa anymore, and the K-3 involved more steps and more fees once inside the USA to get the green card.

Definitely stick with either the K-1 (unmarried) or Immigrant Visa (married). Never mind the K-3.

Rene
Thanks everyone for the advice, very much appreciated. We've decided to go the I-129F petition, K-1 route as this will give us more time to plan our wedding, etc. and take a breath. Thinking about trying to fly to the US next week to get married just started making everything feel rushed and hectic.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted & no doubt be back with more questions as we get into this!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hi John,
Do you have some recent K-3 experiences? We've found that K-3 visas are lately not what their advertised purpose seems to be. The Immigrant Visa takes about the same amount of time and produces a 'final product' as a benefit.

Amy, if the marriage takes place in the US, that is not where your (then) spouse would interview for the K-3 visa; the interview would still be in the UK.
I think the K-1/K-3 is a better option in this situation. The OP wants to minimize time spent apart from and does not currently live in the U.S.

The problem with the immigrant visa("IV") is that the petitioner must sign the I-864 affidavit of support. For the I-864, the petitioner must be domiciled in the U.S. At the IV interview, the consulate could continue the case because the OP is not currently domiciled in the U.S. Once a case gets continued this way, it could take months to clear up. You would not have these delays with the K-1/K-3, as the I-864 is not required.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:55 am
Just Joined

amyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the K-1/K-3 is a better option in this situation. The OP wants to minimize time spent apart from and does not currently live in the U.S.

The problem with the immigrant visa("IV") is that the petitioner must sign the I-864 affidavit of support. For the I-864, the petitioner must be domiciled in the U.S. At the IV interview, the consulate could continue the case because the OP is not currently domiciled in the U.S. Once a case gets continued this way, it could take months to clear up. You would not have these delays with the K-1/K-3, as the I-864 is not required.
Well, I might be a special case. I still own a home in the US, and my job is technically still a US job as I'm paid out of the US, but am on a "long term" assignment in the UK.

Funny thing is that I've been complaining about getting paid in dollars to a bank in the US instead of sterling here for the last two years, never realizing that might help me one day!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by amyb
Well, I might be a special case. I still own a home in the US, and my job is technically still a US job as I'm paid out of the US, but am on a "long term" assignment in the UK.

Funny thing is that I've been complaining about getting paid in dollars to a bank in the US instead of sterling here for the last two years, never realizing that might help me one day!
The K-1 is a good option. You should file it promptly.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Do you run into a lot of domicile problems in so-called "DCF" cases? I ask because it was not a problem for me; I was gone from the US about the same amount of time as the OP, and it is rarely an issue in London.
'Intent to reestablish' has been sufficient for most of the Consulates, even for USCs who haven't yet lived in the US.

At any rate, this OP is returning to the US before her intended can get there, so her domicile won't be an issue. The I-864 isn't submitted to the London Consulate until the visa interview day.