married vs unmarried

Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Ramna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default married vs unmarried

Hi there,

A friend of mine's parents, American citizen, applied for his immigration visa long ago. At that time he was married but they applied as unmarried on the groung of a marriage that anyway wasn't meant to last and he got separated after a while.
Now his visa case is coming to the last stage and he has to fill in the DS form where he has no choice but tell about the marriage.

Can anyone tell about the consequence of that?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: married vs unmarried

Originally Posted by Ramna
Hi there,

A friend of mine's parents, American citizen, applied for his immigration visa long ago. At that time he was married but they applied as unmarried on the groung of a marriage that anyway wasn't meant to last and he got separated after a while.
Now his visa case is coming to the last stage and he has to fill in the DS form where he has no choice but tell about the marriage.

Thank you in advance.
I would think the consequence would be harsh. Lying on immigration forms is a big deal.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I would think the consequence would be harsh. Lying on immigration forms is a big deal.

Rene
Is this regarding the same guy you asked about before? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573108

If so, then the whole case is just wrong. The guy was married. His parents applied for him as an unmarried son (which was incorrect, as he was married at the time, and the parents knowingly put false information on the application). Now his case is current, he is listed as an unmarried son, yet he is STILL married (as far as I can tell from your previous post, he hasn't gotten divorced yet). He doesn't even qualify for the visa at this point, because he's not unmarried. He's in the wrong category, plus the initial paperwork was intentionally completed incorrectly. The parents weren't supposed to fill out an application based on his future marital status....they were supposed to fill it out according to his current marital status at that time.

Sounds like a mess to me, probably need a good immigration attorney to see if there is any hope in there anywhere.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 21st 2008 at 3:13 pm. Reason: wording
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ramna
Hi there,

Thank you in advance.
Hi:

At this point, any lie was on the part of the parent not the son.

You leave out a key fact -- what was the parent's status when the petition was filed -- LPR or citizen? That is the fact that will make the difference. Somehow, I have the feeling that, more likely than not, the parent was an LPR at time of filing.

By the way, the consulate in question happens to be Manila, they will spot the son's case a mile away. The married FB-2B scenario from the Philippines is so common, it is a shared joke among private immigration lawyers and the government immigration authorities.