Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

??? married to an us citizen outside of USA...

??? married to an us citizen outside of USA...

Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Castrom8 will become famous soon enough
Question ??? married to an us citizen outside of USA...

Hi there all. Hope you can answer me a question.

I'm about to get married to an American girl here in Australia. Beside the fact that I'll give her automatically australian permanent residency I was wondering if I get the (American) green card after some time. Or do we MUST live in the US to obtain it for me? (I've heard american immigration is much harder than in Australia)
Thanks for any answer.
M.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ??? married to an us citizen outside of USA...

Originally Posted by Castrom8
Hi there all. Hope you can answer me a question.

I'm about to get married to an American girl here in Australia. Beside the fact that I'll give her automatically australian permanent residency I was wondering if I get the (American) green card after some time. Or do we MUST live in the US to obtain it for me? (I've heard american immigration is much harder than in Australia)
Thanks for any answer.
M.
It's not that difficult for Australians. I've actually heard that the Oz-->US is easier than the other way 'round.

About 3 months before you want to move to the US, you can file all your paperword through the US consulate in Sydney. Before you go, google "DCF Australia" or Direct Consular Filing.

You apply for an Immigrant Visa before you go to the US, and when you enter, you become a Permanent Resident. Your Green Card is mailed directly to you--ie, you do all the paperwork *before* you get to the US.

Can't get it until youi're ready to move tho. Your US citizen needs to file tax returns to the US each year no matter where she lives/earns. She should maintain some banking, voting and other ties to the US for her future moves.

Congrats.