Reload this Page >

Married under J1 visa and worried

Married under J1 visa and worried

Old May 6th 2009, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

newyork28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married under J1 visa and worried

Hello,

Need some advice. I got married to us citizen under a J1 visa in oct 08. No 2 year residency requirement. I applied for adjustment of status and received a receipt number stating my application was pending from the USA immigration in nov 08. I have recently received my work permit so I can now work in US. My J1 sponsor company wanted me to leave the usa within a month of my J1 visa ending in nov 08. I did not want to leave as I did not have my early parole form through. My J1 visa company have told me as I did not leave they will be reporting me to the proper authorties. Should I be worried?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited by newyork28; May 6th 2009 at 10:45 pm.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married under J1 visa and worried

Originally Posted by newyork28
Hello,

Need some advice. I got married to us citizen under a J1 visa in oct 08. No 2 year residency requirement. I applied for adjustment of status and received a receipt number stating my application was pending from the USA immigration in nov 08. I have recently received my work permit so I can now work in US. My J1 sponsor company wanted me to leave the usa within a month of my J1 visa ending in nov 08. I did not want to leave as I did not have my early parole form through. My J1 visa company have told me as I did not leave they will be reporting me to the proper authorties. Should I be worried?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
No. As long as there's no 2-year HRR on your J-1, you are protected now under your AOS application, and you have an EAD so you can work legally. Are you still working for that same J-1 company? If so, then you need to update your HR records to show your current work status.

Rene
Old May 6th 2009, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No. As long as there's no 2-year HRR on your J-1, you are protected now under your AOS application, and you have an EAD so you can work legally. Are you still working for that same J-1 company? If so, then you need to update your HR records to show your current work status.

Rene
No I stopped working for them in nov 08. I am currently looking for work. I was just really worried when they said they were going to report me. I really don't want to be deported!! They said even though I may be in status with usa immigration I have broken the terms of the J1 visa which is a serious matter as I commited to them.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No I stopped working for them in nov 08. I am currently looking for work. I was just really worried when they said they were going to report me. I really don't want to be deported!! They said even though I may be in status with usa immigration I have broken the terms of the J1 visa which is a serious matter as I commited to them.
Once you filed your AOS, you had the right to remain in the USA based on your marriage to a USC. Your J-1 ended when your employment with them ended, and if you had no 2-year HRR, you didn't have to go back home.

You might want to have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney, just to make sure, if you are nervous.

Rene
Old May 6th 2009, 11:01 pm

No I stopped working for them in nov 08. I am currently looking for work. I was just really worried when they said they were going to report me.
Did you finish out the contract you had with them? When did they say this? You stopped working for them (i.e., your J-1 finished) in Nov 2008...it's now May 2009 and they are just now mentioning this to you? How do they even know you're still here?

Rene
Old May 6th 2009, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you finish out the contract you had with them? When did they say this? You stopped working for them (i.e., your J-1 finished) in Nov 2008...it's now May 2009 and they are just now mentioning this to you? How do they even know you're still here?

Rene
They asked me when I emailed them about a deposit issue and I was honest. Maybe my mistake. I did finish the contract with them.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:13 pm

They asked me when I emailed them about a deposit issue and I was honest. Maybe my mistake. I did finish the contract with them.
In my layman's opinion, you will be OK.

Rene
Old May 6th 2009, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was just really worried when they said they were going to report me.
You have done nothing wrong. Even if they do report you, you have nothing to worry about... you are protected because you have filed to adjust your status based on your marriage to a US citizen. They may have a bark... but there is *no* bite. Good luck with your adjustment.

I have broken the terms of the J1 visa which is a serious matter as I commited to them.
They are lying to you. Soon, you'll have a green card and won't need any other permission to work/live in the US.

Ian
Old May 6th 2009, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You have done nothing wrong. Even if they do report you, you have nothing to worry about... you are protected because you have filed to adjust your status based on your marriage to a US citizen. They may have a bark... but there is *no* bite. Good luck with your adjustment.

They are lying to you. Soon, you'll have a green card and won't need any other permission to work/live in the US.

Ian
Thank you everyone. You are making me feel better. I am abit shocked at the tone of the email I received from my sponsor company. They made me feel like a criminal. My only crime was falling in love!!!
Old May 7th 2009, 12:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone. You are making me feel better. I am abit shocked at the tone of the email I received from my sponsor company. They made me feel like a criminal. My only crime was falling in love!!!
It sounds to me like they have a contractual complaint with you. Maybe they are also trying to maintain their own reputation with CIS if they are a J-1 sponsor organization. Many many J-1s seem to not go home.

In any case, your J status ended, but you successfully filed your AOS application, which now covers your stay here. Maybe you didn't make that clear to them and they got concerned.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Maybe you didn't make that clear to them and they got concerned.
If they're concerned, it's because they don't usually come up against someone who doesn't need them. They can pretty much do what they want as long as the employee is sufficiently intimidated... but when the employee has another immigration route, they lose whatever control they had - and they don't like that, so they make every attempt to regain that control. And if that means threatening the employee, that's what they'll do.

As far as a "contractual obligation" is concerned, it's covered under civil law... and isn't an immigration issue.

Either way, newyork28 has nothing to worry about.

Ian