Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married overseas, came to US on tourist visa, what are the options?

Married overseas, came to US on tourist visa, what are the options?

Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:00 pm
Em

Default Married overseas, came to US on tourist visa, what are the options?

Hi,

I have a friend from Europe who married a US citizen, marriage
taking place
overseas. They than flew to America, and the spouse entered on a
tourist visa.
Being that the K3 visa takes month to be processed, the American spouse

couldn't stay in Europe leaving his business for so long, and to be
physically
seperated from his wife wasn't a choice, so the European spouse came on
a tourist visa, and since overstayed it.

Are there any options, other than the spouse going back to Europe, and
files
the K3 there, and waiting it out?

Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Married overseas, came to US on tourist visa, what are the options?

Originally Posted by Em
Hi,

taking place
tourist visa.

physically

files
Hi:

Best option is to consult with a qualified immigration attorney in PRIVATE.

Warning -- you just might get some flame here on this question. But "helpful" answers other than the above are not really helpful at all. There will be neither from yours truly other than to say the question is called the "ten foot pole" becuase it shouldn't be discussed in public and get one in trouble.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Em
... and to be physically seperated from his wife wasn't a choice...
Ah, the lust of youth... hot loins gyrating with anticipation! He absolutely had a choice; and he chose poorly. Disregarding immigration rules and regulations is probably not the best way to start a marriage!

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:06 am
Just Joined

admaust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ah, the lust of youth... hot loins gyrating with anticipation! He absolutely had a choice; and he chose poorly. Disregarding immigration rules and regulations is probably not the best way to start a marriage!

Ian
Totally agree. My wife and I are newlyweds and guess what: we're separated by an ocean and sluggish immigration! While its not your favorite option, it's a very real must. In our case it's not much of an option, but rather a must because I've got UNI going on now, and have to be here in the States. it sucks to say the least.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:13 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
The thing I always find touching is that the posters themselves can always contain the the hard-on/wide-on, but they always have "friends" whose libido is in the stratosphere. People who post like this for their "friends" are clearly among the finest people in the universe!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:06 am

EM wrote:

> Hi,
    >
    > I have a friend from Europe who married a US citizen, marriage
    > taking place
    > overseas. They than flew to America, and the spouse entered on a
    > tourist visa.
    > Being that the K3 visa takes month to be processed, the American spouse
    >
    > couldn't stay in Europe leaving his business for so long, and to be
    > physically
    > seperated from his wife wasn't a choice, so the European spouse came on
    > a tourist visa, and since overstayed it.
    >
    > Are there any options, other than the spouse going back to Europe, and
    > files
    > the K3 there, and waiting it out?
    >

See an attorney.
That said. It sounds to me like the goal of entering on the tourist visa
was to stay here with their spouse. How it sounds to the immigration
people might be a cause of problems. Were all questions answered
truthfully upon entry?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Em
physically
I love these people for whom being "physically separated" just wasn't a choice. So they just had to evade the immigration laws. My wife, being Colombian, we didn't have the option of evading the immigration laws and we managed to survive the six month separation.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopiacowboy
I love these people for whom being "physically separated" just wasn't a choice. So they just had to evade the immigration laws. My wife, being Colombian, we didn't have the option of evading the immigration laws and we managed to survive the six month separation.
I agree. My Iranian fiance could also not have evaded immigration laws (nor would we have done so), and we survived a 14-month separation. It can be done.

Rene
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Married overseas, came to US on tourist visa, what are the options?

Gosh, and you and Rene and all the others are still alive and kickin', huh? I thought from some of the posts I have read on here that sudden and certain death was the result of a separation like that.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scarlett2004
Gosh, and you and Rene and all the others are still alive and kickin', huh? I thought from some of the posts I have read on here that sudden and certain death was the result of a separation like that.
One would think so. They always make it sound as though being separated is a reasonable option for everyone else but unthinkable for them.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One would think so. They always make it sound as though being separated is a reasonable option for everyone else but unthinkable for them.

But, of course. After all, no one in the universe from time beginning has ever been as in love or as loved as they are. Why should their gratification be delayed because of a mere stumbling block such as laws of a foreign country.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:55 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Em
Hi,

taking place
tourist visa.

physically

files

The way I see it your wife entered on a tourist visa obviously with the intention of staying in The US & to be that surely must be entering fraudulently......wonder if USCIS see it the same way. Personally I think that was a foolish move on your part.
Isnt love grand that you were not strong enough to be seperated for any length of time........Big pat on the back for all of us who survived the long seperation & can now rest knowing we did it all by the book!!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shepslady
The way I see it your wife entered on a tourist visa obviously with the intention of staying in The US & to be that surely must be entering fraudulently......wonder if USCIS see it the same way. Personally I think that was a foolish move on your part.
Isnt love grand that you were not strong enough to be seperated for any length of time........Big pat on the back for all of us who survived the long seperation & can now rest knowing we did it all by the book!!
Hi:

There IS a fine line between "pre-concieved intent" and "fraud" -- you don't see it and you are right -- DHS often doesn't see it either.