Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married to Green card - estimated wait time

Wikiposts

Married to Green card - estimated wait time

Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married to Green card - estimated wait time

Originally Posted by Bill_S
What people are getting at is that the dates reported by USCIS are looking backward. It's tempting to think they have predictive value, but they don't. The dates can move forward, backward, or remain stuck for a variety of complex reasons. Everybody who files a petition with USCIS wants to know how long it will take, and the processing dates look like a convenient metric; projecting them into the future is largely academic.
Good job Bill. I was getting ready to say the same thing. JasonB, what MrF was trying to get at, in his legal-ese speech, is that you absolutely cannot use the processing dates posted by USCIS as a way to predict how long it will take your I-130 (filed by your PR wife) to get adjudicated. These dates do not progress at any type of linear, non-linear, exponential (get the hint) manner. They can jump ahead by months (in a matter of weeks) or jump backwards, or slump along for the next 5 years. There is no way of knowing how long it will take to process your I-130.

The only thing you can really do is to keep watch on these dates as they get closer to your filing date. When the date gets close (within a month or so) to your filing date is when you can start to get slightly excited cuz your approval might be imminent.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonb
No problem Rene, it was a simple question really - how long will it take me (or anyone) to get a green card based on marriage to a permanent resident.
About 5 years, probably more, maybe less.

I am fully aware that it is quicker via a citizen - but, and I know some Americans will find this hard to believe, not everyone wants to become an American! Not that I dont love the place, but Im British, simple. I hope to go back to Britain in a few years and don't want to complicate things if I don't have to.
I understand not everyone wants to be a USC. We're just saying it's quicker that way, but of course the choice is up to you guys to wait longer or not. And, if you want to move back to the UK in a few years, why bother even going for a green card? You'll only lose it when you move back to the UK...and if you're thinking of moving back within just a few years, chances are you won't have your green card by then, anyway. Sorry if you already know all this...perhaps someone else reading your post doesn't know, it might help them.

IF SOMEONE HAS, IS OR IS ABOUT TO GO THROUGH THIS PROCESS POST - IF YOU SIMPLY WANT TO STATE THE OBVIOUS ABOUT USCIS DATES OR OTHER THINGS DON'T BOTHER - I CAN GO INTO THE KITCHEN AND SPEAK TO A TURNIP FOR OBVIOUS OR STUPID COMMENTS!
Oops, sorry again, I bothered to reply even though I'm not going through this particular process. I figured others reading this thread might find it helpful.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 25th 2007 at 8:26 am.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

IF SOMEONE HAS, IS OR IS ABOUT TO GO THROUGH THIS PROCESS POST - IF YOU SIMPLY WANT TO STATE THE OBVIOUS ABOUT USCIS DATES OR OTHER THINGS DON'T BOTHER - I CAN GO INTO THE KITCHEN AND SPEAK TO A TURNIP FOR OBVIOUS OR STUPID COMMENTS!
No need to yell about it Jason. Not everyone on this board understands how to interpret the dates posted on USCIS. Given your low number of posts on this board, it's easy to assume you are new to immigration stuff and may be unaware. Excuse us for trying to make sure you are in the know, as a lot of people that post here are clueless.

Good luck in your process. And wow, do you think most of us on here are arrogant enough to think that everyone wants to become an American? If any USC would understand why you wouldn't, I think we would on here. No need to point that out.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:29 am
Account Closed

jasonb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone - at least I have learned one new thing today - don't post a simple question on this site.

Every bored armchair immigration expert will answer the same way they seem to answer every other forum post - with a blinding obvious answer!

Wish I could take down the original question now as I'm quite sure all your daft responses have just confused people wanting to look at what I'm sure is a common question in these parts!

The answer to my question is simple - they are currently processing applications for spouses married to a green card holder that arrived in Vermont Jan 06 - then you have to wait for a visa to come up which can take anywhere up to 5 years?

I JUST ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION - EASY WASN'T IT!!!!!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No problem Rene, it was a simple question really - how long will it take me (or anyone) to get a green card based on marriage to a permanent resident.
A: No one on God's Green Earth knows. There is no answer.
Historically, about 4 to 5 years.

IF YOU SIMPLY WANT TO STATE THE OBVIOUS ABOUT USCIS DATES OR OTHER THINGS DON'T BOTHER - I CAN GO INTO THE KITCHEN AND SPEAK TO A TURNIP FOR OBVIOUS OR STUPID COMMENTS!
If you want to use a discussion group on the internet, read the FAQs and some of the previous posts to see how the culture of a particular group works.
If you want to be a complete asshat, walk into a room full of strangers and start demanding that they behave the way you want them to.

You are welcome to pay a professional for the right to demand answers the way shape and flavor that you want. If you walk into a free conversation, you get what you get.

Enjoy your stay in America.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
A: No one on God's Green Earth knows. There is no answer.
Historically, about 4 to 5 years.

If you want to use a discussion group on the internet, read the FAQs and some of the previous posts to see how the culture of a particular group works.
If you want to be a complete asshat, walk into a room full of strangers and start demanding that they behave the way you want them to.

You are welcome to pay a professional for the right to demand answers the way shape and flavor that you want. If you walk into a free conversation, you get what you get.

Enjoy your stay in America.

The first part of your response is the answer to my question - thank you

The second part sums up the rest of the posters - armchair attorneys - get a life.

I asked a very simple question that I knew many others would probably like an answer to - what I didn't ask for was a load of old codgers sitting around bored coming up with comments like - 'what do you mean', 'become a USC', 'you get better benefits by becoming a citizen'

Jesus Christ - BritishExpats.com - what a load of old bored farts

The original question has been answered and I hope people view it and find it of use - as for 'senior members' - I can only imagine you get to be one of those by being bored shitless at home and posting numerous useless comments.

Good day and I am enjoying my stay in America.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone - at least I have learned one new thing today - don't post a simple question on this site.
It's not a simple question though is it, because depending on what your name is, and where your from and if you have a clean record or not can affect how long the whole process takes. Someone applying with a similar situation to you at the same time might get the whole processed finished in the same amount of time, or might take years longer than you. The whole security background check is just one thing that might take weeks for one person and two years for another.

But what do I care.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a very simple question that I knew many others would probably like an answer to - what I didn't ask for was a load of old codgers sitting around bored coming up with comments like - 'what do you mean', 'become a USC', 'you get better benefits by becoming a citizen'

I don't think anyone actually said that.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Another poster here sometimes says "the easiest questions sometimes have the most difficult answers".
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't think anyone actually said that.
I said something like that, but of course I'm not forcing anyone to become a USC. Just pointing out the benefits of becoming one, for those interested in naturalization. I didn't realize the OP already knew everything except the one answer to his one question.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, I started this thread to ask a simple question and as usual all the know it alls start posting their advice on everything!
If you sit in the bath tub with a lighted cigarette, you can burn your own farts as they break the surface.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you sit in the bath tub with a lighted cigarette, you can burn your own farts as they break the surface.
He called us 'old'.
:curse:
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not a simple question though is it, because depending on what your name is, and where your from and if you have a clean record or not can affect how long the whole process takes. Someone applying with a similar situation to you at the same time might get the whole processed finished in the same amount of time, or might take years longer than you. The whole security background check is just one thing that might take weeks for one person and two years for another.

But what do I care.
No, of course it's not a simple question - then you wouldnt be able to complicate it would you!

Jesus Christ - depends what you're name is etc etc - are you absolutely mental? How the hell does it depend on what your name is!!! Stop it please - I'm laughing too hard Mr Expert!!!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:57 am

No, of course it's not a simple question - then you wouldnt be able to complicate it would you!

Jesus Christ - depends what you're name is etc etc - are you absolutely mental? How the hell does it depend on what your name is!!! Stop it please - I'm laughing too hard Mr Expert!!!
It depends what your name is, because when you go through security checks, if your name gets a "hit" (which it could, depending on your name), you could be waiting years for security clearance. Just look up posts by Elvira. Her son is stuck in name check/security clearance hell for no good reason. If you think it doesn't happen, think again.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:57 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
He called us 'old'.
:curse:
You can mark the bastard and if he ever come back to ask another, please close the thread immediately and leave a pointer to this thread to explain to all and sundry what a total wanker he is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.