Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

married in Barranquilla, Colombia, divorced in Texas USA

married in Barranquilla, Colombia, divorced in Texas USA

Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: married in Barranquilla, Colombia, divorced in Texas USA

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

General "conflicts" rule on marriage and divorce:

Marriage is valid if valid under the law of the place of "celebration."
Unless DOMA applies.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neveragain
i dont know about the US but in canada...
You realize, I hope, that this forum is all about immigration *TO* the US. Canadian law doesn't much matter here!

Here, they can be sent back as long as they are not a citizen yet. so you might still have some time.
I'll just point out, since no one else has, that you are responding to a thread that ended over 9 months ago... and the original poster has never posted since! While your own story is mildly interesting, I wonder why on earth you dredged this up? Just to commiserate?

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Unless DOMA applies.
Hi:

Note that I used the word "generally." Comity is not given by the US to bigamous marriages even if legal where performed. Name of the BIA case is Darwish if memory serves me correct. However, I've also heard that E-2 spouses include plural spouses if the other country allows for such.

So, it comes back to "generally" but not "always."
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Note that I used the word "generally." Comity is not given by the US to bigamous marriages even if legal where performed. Name of the BIA case is Darwish if memory serves me correct. However, I've also heard that E-2 spouses include plural spouses if the other country allows for such.

So, it comes back to "generally" but not "always."
I know. I'm personally more interested in getting everyone's first spouse recognized than worrying about numbers Two plus.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

neveragain is an unknown quantity at this point

just out of curiosity...
what is the official date of marriage in colombia? the day of the church wedding ceremony or the day of the civil ceremony and signing of certificate?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

neveragain is an unknown quantity at this point

what is the official date of marriage in colombia? the day of the church wedding ceremony or the day of the civil ceremony?