Reload this Page >

Marriage on Tourist Visa, etc

Wikiposts

Marriage on Tourist Visa, etc

Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:24 am
Just Joined

taracide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage on Tourist Visa, etc

My British boyfriend is here in the US on a tourist visa. I am a US citizen.

Can we get married on the tourist visa?

Will he need to leave after his tourist visa expires and re-enter on a different visa? Which one?

We plan to stay in the US after the marriage to live and work.

How can he seek employment after marriage?

When can he get a social security number?

Does he have to wait for any particular paperwork to be processed?

Please help!!! His tourist visa expires in 1 month!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:42 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on Tourist Visa, etc

Originally Posted by taracide

Will he need to leave after his tourist visa expires and re-enter on a different visa? Which one?

ALL of your questions have been discussed and addressed -- countless times, actually -- on this forum. Please use the search feature to look for answers in the archives, as they're there for the taking. Also look at USCIS.gov and remember that Google is your friend.

If you expect to successfully navigate the US immigration maze, the first step is to learn how to research answers to your questions. If you are simply spoon-fed the answers, you'll have a harder time of it.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:57 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

When did you decide that you were going to get married ..
Does the UK cit still have their job and home ..
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what the others have said...search ten foot pole....

VWP, you can marry and adjust if you didn't have immigration intent when you arrived, but if you did, then it is visa fraud...baring in mind there's no appeals if anything goes wrong trying to AOS on the VWP.

As for him leaving and getting visa, depends on your circumstances.

As for work, and SSN, depends on what visa he comes in on, or if you plan to AOS now...

And waiting...yeah, with USCIS, get very use to that in deed.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:46 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need to provide more information about yourselves to get any answers here.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!

Will he need to leave after his tourist visa expires and re-enter on a different visa?
Keeping in mind that a tourist visa is a non-immigrant visa... well, the answer becomes obvious.

And here is where the sh*t hits the fan. Can you prove that he did not have immigration intent when he entered the US? Answer: No!

Let me add here that everyone who has responded to you so far (whether you understand the undercurrent or not... and whether you believe it or not) is doing so to help prevent you from doing something that will make your life a living hell.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:36 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I married on the VWP unaware at the time of the possible consequences and neally had a breakdown worrying about what might and could happen after I filed my AOS, do yourself a favour do the K3 OR K1 route, at least you will be able to sleep at night.

Good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I married on the VWP unaware at the time of the possible consequences and neally had a breakdown worrying about what might and could happen after I filed my AOS, do yourself a favour do the K3 OR K1 route, at least you will be able to sleep at night.

Good luck.
poppy, is there any chance of getting in touch with u on email because i am one of those having sleepless nights and would like to hear ur experiences if i might be able to intrude...????
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
And here is where the sh*t hits the fan. Can you prove that he did not have immigration intent when he entered the US? Answer: No!
And can anyone prove he did? No!
And are the authorities particularly interested in proving he did? No!

Why do you let this subject wind you up so much, Ian?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:03 am
Retire to Italy

Greetings herein T

I have replied to you in detail direct but also wish to articulate
herein by way of manuscript.

I agree with Jinney .... there are many post within this group.

Bottom line ignore the histri-onics posted by some here and proceed
and marry and that is the way most do it. Obey the laws and I presume
you had no ill intend upon landing on our glorious shores.

Ignore 10 ft pole posts et all as they are from but the lunny fringe
in many cases and no one knows why.

It is a fact marriage on VWP is lawful and thereafter one may
adjust. Not complicated.

Ciao Julia Nemo Iudex in causa sua ............

Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retire to Italy
I agree with Jinney .... there are many post within this group.
Uh, her name is Jenney.

Bottom line ignore the histri-onics posted by some here and proceed
and marry and that is the way most do it. Obey the laws and I presume
you had no ill intend upon landing on our glorious shores.
Why would you presume this? Do you know this person? It's dangerous to presume anything and then give wrong advice based on a wrong assumption.

Ignore 10 ft pole posts et all as they are from but the lunny fringe
in many cases and no one knows why.
What the heck is a lunny fringe? She should not ignore the 10-foot-pole posts. They serve a purpose.

It is a fact marriage on VWP is lawful and thereafter one may
adjust.
It is, in fact, NOT lawful to marry on the VWP *AND* adjust status. Yes, people do it all the time. That doesn't make it lawful.

Rene
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It is, in fact, NOT lawful to marry on the VWP *AND* adjust status. Yes, people do it all the time.
Sorry, disagree!

It is not lawful to arrive as a tourist with the intent to remain in the US. It may or may not be "lawful to marry on the VWP *AND* adjust status".
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Sorry, disagree!

It is not lawful to arrive as a tourist with the intent to remain in the US. It may or may not be "lawful to marry on the VWP *AND* adjust status".
You're right, I worded it badly. That's what I meant. LOL And here I am saying don't give wrong advice. LOL OOPS. My bad.
Rene
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:18 am
Abj

please,take the advice from someone that knows,these kind of marriages do not
work.i can tell you more.send me a message.

taracide wrote:
>My British boyfriend is here in the US on a tourist visa. I am a
>US citizen.
>
>Can we get married on the tourist visa?
>
>Will he need to leave after his tourist visa expires and re-enter on a
>different visa? Which one?
>
>We plan to stay in the US after the marriage to live and work.
>
>How can he seek employment after marriage?
>
>When can he get a social security number?
>
>Does he have to wait for any particular paperwork to be processed?
>
>Please help!!! His tourist visa expires in 1 month!

Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:23 am
Abj

that is not alway the case.immigrants marry just to get in this country.and
the persons that marry really believe that they have found that special
someone.i know i was and still is a victom.i went to ins.(ice) to report this
but they do nothing

Jenney & Mark wrote:
>> My British boyfriend is here in the US on a tourist visa. I am a US
>> citizen.
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>>
>> Please help!!! His tourist visa expires in 1 month!
>
>ALL of your questions have been discussed and addressed -- countless
>times, actually -- on this forum. Please use the search feature to
>look for answers in the archives, as they're there for the taking.
>Also look at USCIS.gov (http://www.uscis.gov) and remember that Google
>is your friend.
>
>If you expect to successfully navigate the US immigration maze, the
>first step is to learn how to research answers to your questions. If you
>are simply spoon-fed the answers, you'll have a harder time of it.
>
>~ Jenney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.