Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage on a Student Visa

Marriage on a Student Visa

Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on a Student Visa

Originally Posted by ricaltman
I'm 60 and she is 30, so I have some concerns.
When you were 40, she was 10... and you were 4x older than her.
When you were 45, she was 15... and you were 3x older than her.
Now you're 60, and she's 30... and you're 2x older than her.

If you wait long enough... you'll both be the same age!

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

ricaltman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Well....SHE may want to do it that way, but you have the power to say no, I want to do it the CORRECT way.

Rene
Actually, I didn't realize it was a misuse of the Student Visa until you told me.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I didn't realize it was a misuse of the Student Visa until you told me.
It's one thing when a student comes here and happens to meet someone, then they decide to marry and AOS while she's still here. You *can* AOS from a student visa.

But your scenario is that you are already planning to marry. If she comes here on the student visa and her intent is just to use it as a way of getting into the USA so you can marry, that's mis-use of the visa.

You might want to have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney before she heads home, so you can make a more informed decision as to what the laws are and how it might affect her AOS in your scenario. That's exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
Stick to your own age-group and you might learn something...
I should, but she's so pretty and young and guys are such suckers for that stuff.

Last edited by ricaltman; Apr 30th 2007 at 12:11 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I should, but she's so pretty and young and guys are such suckers for that stuff. You can probably tell I'm getting cold feet.
Why didn't she decide to overstay her B visa, and marry you in June when your divorce is final, as you had originally planned? That would be the simplest way to accomplish her AOS. Her overstay will be forgiven by USCIS because of her marriage to a USC.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438248

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

It's one thing when a student comes here and happens to meet someone, then they decide to marry and AOS while she's still here. You *can* AOS from a student visa.

But your scenario is that you are already planning to marry. If she comes here on the student visa and her intent is just to use it as a way of getting into the USA so you can marry, that's mis-use of the visa.

You might want to have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney before she heads home, so you can make a more informed decision as to what the laws are and how it might affect her AOS in your scenario. That's exactly what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Rene
I guess it would be obvious to whoever reviewed this what was going on and they would deny the AOS.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Why didn't she decide to overstay her B visa, and marry you in June when your divorce is final, as you had originally planned? That would be the simplest way to accomplish her AOS. Her overstay will be forgiven by USCIS because of her marriage to a USC.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438248

Rene
She was afraid of the overstay, even though someone here found the language talking about forgiving an overstay. That's what I tried to get her to do. You've got a good memory. Now, if she does this student visa, she should still go home and do the fiancee visa.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I should, but she's so pretty and young and guys are such suckers for that stuff. You can probably tell I'm getting cold feet.
Talking of feet...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446221