Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage in Russia - proof of being single

Marriage in Russia - proof of being single

Old Mar 25th 2001, 9:04 pm
don

I'm an American who will be getting married to a Russian citizen in St.Petersburg Russia in a few months and am in the process of trying to meet the documentation requirements of the Russian government. Most of the things are very straightforward. However, one of the documents they are requesting is proof that I am currently not married. They will not accept divorce papers alone as proof. So my question is, has any other American been married in Russia and what documentation do you have to provide to show you currently weren't married. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old Mar 25th 2001, 9:23 pm
Alvena Ferreira

don wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I have not done this, but what they probably want is an apostille or single
certificate...here is some info from an old post:
===
Technically, you need to get a state-issued copy of your birth certificate, then send
it back to the state (Secretary of State of the state) and receive an Apostille on
the state civil document. If you've been previously married, you'll need to do the
same for prior marriage certificates and divorce decrees. Then you go to the U.S.
consulate and execute consular-notarized affidavit that you are not currently married
(maybe, a state-notarized affidavit with apostille will suffice, or a Russian
notarized, but I don't know). Then you bring these to Russia and get it all
translated into Russian, along with your passport cover page.
===
Here is where you can find more info about getting apostille in your state:
http://www.travel.state.gov/hague_foreign_docs.html

alvena

Old Mar 26th 2001, 2:40 am
Grinch

>
    >

Its a single certificate or 12 apostles.

Grinch

Old Mar 26th 2001, 2:50 am
Eileen Michaels

we ran into your problem in the Netherlands. I got the marriage license bureau in my
county to write up an official paper (after searching their records of course) that
stated they had never given me a marriage license nor have I ever filed a marriage
certificate from _____(year of my divorce to the present) . I had an apostille put on
this and the dutch bureaucrat accepted this. I also had to have the divorce papers
with an apostille. This worked for us. What Alvena is describing also worked for
another Dutch/American couple whose story you can read on our website. Go to
www.usadutch.com ----click on 'other couples stories' and 'Wim en Jenni'. Wim went
through the process Alvena is describing. Good luck. Eileen