Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage Proposal for Friends Daughter from another Family Friends GC holder son

Marriage Proposal for Friends Daughter from another Family Friends GC holder son

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Proposal for Friends Daughter from another Family Friends GC holder son

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure what else you would call it, determining factor seems to be immigrating and which suitor best meets that needs.
I think it depends what their sole purpose is. I'm assuming the sole purpose is finding a suitable husband, and the fact that he's in the USA is an advantage. It's only when the sole purpose is immigration, no matter who the guy is, or that they plan to divorce after the green card, etc., then I'd say it sounds more like an attempt at fraud.

But...those are just my opinions and assumptions, nothing more. I have no idea with their real intent and goals are.

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage Proposal for Friends Daughter from another Family Friends GC holder son

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think it depends what their sole purpose is. I'm assuming the sole purpose is finding a suitable husband, and the fact that he's in the USA is an advantage. It's only when the sole purpose is immigration, no matter who the guy is, or that they plan to divorce after the green card, etc., then I'd say it sounds more like an attempt at fraud.

But...those are just my opinions and assumptions, nothing more. I have no idea with their real intent and goals are.

Rene
Funny, because I never assumed fraud. I have no reason to believe that they are not totally legit in their wishes to find a suitable, long term, spouse for their child.

I only have limited first hand knowledge, a friend of mine was being set up by his Mum for years with arranged prospects, for the sake of family harmony he used to have to follow through even if it all petered out in the end. We used to get updates over a beer. In the end he sort of arranged his own wife but within his mothers wishes. Never was it suggested that any of the proposals were fraudulent.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what else you would call it, determining factor seems to be immigrating and which suitor best meets that needs.
Boiler, I disagree.. the replies have put words in the OP's mouth. The OP said "One of the proposals that my friend does have a preference for due to
old family relations and background comes with a caveat. "
The preference is not based on immigration rights, from this statement. I'd even suggest that they may be looking on the groom being in the US as a liability.

I also wonder since when does a "loving marriage" become the criteria for an arranged marriage? I'll confess to never having been involved in one, but I've never understood "loving" to be a main criteria. And which definition of "loving"? Hollywood's or Pakistan's?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:43 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree that some people might try it for an immigration benefit, but I wouldn't say that's always the case, or that it's the case in this scenario.
This raises the question as to whether marrying someone because doing so would enable them to emigrate to the United States is always a negative thing.

If the ONLY reason someone is marrying another is because they might get a green card out of it, that's one thing. By that I mean the people who marry USCs with the sole intention of getting to the US, and then once they get their green cards it's SEE YA! to the USC spouse.

But on the other hand, if a potential spouse has the ability to offer life in a country where there are a lot of opportunities -- such as the US -- is that necessarily a BAD thing? I mean, you could marry someone for what they have to offer personally (good personality, job security, desire to have children, shared faith and common interests, etc.) and STILL want to emigrate to the US, and your marriage to a USC could facilitate the latter.

Maybe some people (and in this case, their families) find the fact that their potential spouse can bring them to the US legally as desirable as a full head of hair or a sense of humor. If you looked at it the OTHER way -- that is, that the person would have to emigrate to an "undesirable" country to be with their potential spouse -- no one would think twice if that person opted not to marry that person ONLY because they did NOT want to move to that country.

I guess what I'm saying is, in the case of arranged marriages, it's pretty obvious that the basis for two people choosing to marry is NOT love, but other reasons -- one of which may be the ability to move to the US. And in that situation, I'm not so sure it's fair to imply that marriages arranged on the basis of US immigration potential are (for lack of a better word) "abusing" the US immigration system.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:43 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, because I never assumed fraud. I have no reason to believe that they are not totally legit in their wishes to find a suitable, long term, spouse for their child.
I’m with you on this one, and I’m not focusing on potential fraud either. I’m just wondering if each candidate they are considering comes with a ticket to the U.S. for the bride? Are they considering grooms that live elsewhere?

The OP does not specifically say the choice candidate comes from Pakistan, but it seems that is likely the case (or at least friends of the family who are Pakistani). I’m like you and I’m sure the family wants their daughter to be happy, and if the choice candidate only has a greencard, maybe he should look into what I wrote in my first reply. If he’s used to the arranged marriage situation, I suspect he would not worry as much about being used for a greencard.

Hopefully marriage will last a lifetime. This is a life changing event, and a pretty darn important one to choose for the daughter they love. Would they really pick an inferior candidate if that meant postponing the move to the U.S. for a while? Seems strange, to suggest such a thing to a child that I assume they love more than life itself.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Feb 2nd 2006 at 9:02 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:59 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'd even suggest that they may be looking on the groom being in the US as a liability.
Perhaps. Like I said before, there seems to be a growing segment of the world’s population (justified or not) that seems hell bent on the destruction of the U.S. (so maybe they would worry about her safety if she moved to the U.S.). Or perhaps the liability (or “an additional” liability) is that the choice candidate only has a greencard. They seem to be willing to give their daughter away to an inferior candidate for “some” reason.

Maybe she should get a tourist visa and come over for some “speed dating” (has anybody reading this ever tried that before?). I guess I’m just “new fashioned”, but I would not leave such an important decision to someone else (although I can see how a mature person might be able to take important things into consideration that an immature person might miss or not think important at the time).

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Feb 2nd 2006 at 8:13 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

Boiler, I disagree.. the replies have put words in the OP's mouth. The OP said "One of the proposals that my friend does have a preference for due to
old family relations and background comes with a caveat. "
The preference is not based on immigration rights, from this statement. I'd even suggest that they may be looking on the groom being in the US as a liability.

I also wonder since when does a "loving marriage" become the criteria for an arranged marriage? I'll confess to never having been involved in one, but I've never understood "loving" to be a main criteria. And which definition of "loving"? Hollywood's or Pakistan's?
I may be guilty of assuming the comparison was between those with GC's and those with Citizenship.

Love?, never mentioned that and anyway irrelevant for immigration purposes.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Feb 2nd 2006 at 8:13 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Perhaps. Like I said before, there seems to be a growing segment of the world’s population (justified or not) that seems hell bent on the destruction of the U.S. (so maybe they would worry about her safety if she moved to the U.S.)
Every country I can think of in that category would not be exactly safe whatever definition you used. Probably glad to get away from the nutters.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Love?, never mentioned that and anyway irrelevant for immigration purposes.
Yeah, I know
Seems to be a lot of cultural bias coming out on this thread however.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

Yeah, I know
Seems to be a lot of cultural bias coming out on this thread however.
Well the USCIS requirement for not marrying for immigration benefit is a US cultutal statement

So is not recognising same sex partnerships.

The US is different from amny other countries in how it considers such issues.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I also wonder since when does a "loving marriage" become the criteria for an arranged marriage?
It probably only becomes an issue when one is trying to create the Kwisatz Haderach!

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all

I believe it has more to do with how they think their daughter is going be happy... Marrying a suitable guy in US usually means a better quality of life and more independence for their daughter. Again there is a big difference in life in Pakistan and life in USA, a guy can be very well-doing in Pakistan but his quality of life won't be even close to the one living in US.

-Sanna
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Want2no
I need serious, honest advice here. It is a matter of great importance
as my friend has several good marriage proposals for his daughter who is
a graduate in Computer Science herself. She is Pakistani citizen and is
in Pakistan.

One of the proposals that my friend does have a preference for due to
old family relations and background comes with a caveat. The boy is in
USA and is a GC holder (not citizen). Now he has heard horror stories
about the process of new couple being able to start a life together due
to various immigration related delays spread over years. Is that true?
If so, what is the course of action the boy can take to remedy it or
should they just drop him as an eligible bachelor and concentrate on the
other 2-3 good proposals that they are considering.
As you can see this is really important decision specially in cases of
arranged marriages. Parents want to do their best but obviously they
also want to take a decision within reasonable time as those proposing
are also eager.

Please help.

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com
I am guessing he immigrated with his family to US. How long has he been in US, how long has he had green card for? because it will take him 5 years to apply for citizenship. and after that they can do an engagment and call the girl on a fiance visa. or marry her in Pakistan and do the spousal visa which takes about a year. But sponsoring on a green card takes a really very long time as other posters said....

Sanna
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:07 pm
Zab

> > Yeah, I know :)
    > > Seems to be a lot of cultural bias coming out on this thread
    > > however.
    > Well the USCIS requirement for not marrying for immigration benefit is
    > a
    > US cultutal statement
    > So is not recognising same sex partnerships.
    > The US is different from amny other countries in how it considers
    > such issues.
    > --

Rene and Jenny

Pakistan is not in the middle east. it is in Asia! just FYI :)

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com