Wikiposts

Marriage on F1?

Old Jan 20th 2018, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on F1?

Originally Posted by Rete
I guess congratulations are in order for you and your now fiancée. I've been away and not read the entire thread but it appears that her parents have accepted you as her future husband and have given you permission to marry.
Thank you We are both so ecstatic, and so happy they approve, and they saw the benefits! We are gonna keep it between us two, her parents and my parents and have a ceremony properly in a year or two's time, when we can afford a small get together to celebrate with everyone They approve of me a lot, which I was so happy to surprised to hear!

Be careful with the use of N/A. You might think it is not applicable to you, but it is and N/A is the wrong choice. For example, if the question asks how many children, it is not N/A but None. The question is applicable.
Oh yeah, I am literally only using it when it actually is a N/A answer to me. For children questions, we have just put 0, or whatever the relevant answer is to the question.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused on the I-485. Part 2, question 2 is asking if I am applying for adjustment based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 245(i). I tried googling it and looking through the instructions, but I couldn't see it unless I'm being dumb and missing it!

do I tick yes or no? This is the only question that's stumped me!
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

"No". See page 3 of the instructions.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
"No". See page 3 of the instructions.

Rene
Ah, got it! I'd passed that somehow in the instructions. Thank you.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

On form I-485 it asks if 'your current spouse is applying with you?' I'm assuming it's no, as she is a US citizen, and she's petitioning for me, not applying with me?

i apologise for asking questions all the time everyone. Just want to ensure I understand the form questions correctly.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 4:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Correct.

Rene
Thank you for answering all my questions. Either I'm being dumb with some questions, or they're confusing and awkward!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 1:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
On form I-485 it asks if 'your current spouse is applying with you?' I'm assuming it's no, as she is a US citizen, and she's petitioning for me, not applying with me?

i apologise for asking questions all the time everyone. Just want to ensure I understand the form questions correctly.
Don't over think questions on the forms and as a person attending college for a Masters, or is that a Phd", I know you are just becoming overwhelmed with all of this.

The I-485 is NOT a form that the USC completes and file but it is the form that the foreign spouse completes and files on their behalf. So answer the questions from that viewpoint. And yes, you are correct, your spouse is not applying with you as she is not eligible for a green card

She is petitioning for you via the I-130. The I-485 is your petition.

That's what the immigration forums are for, questions and answers.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't over think questions on the forms and as a person attending college for a Masters, or is that a Phd", I know you are just becoming overwhelmed with all of this.

The I-485 is NOT a form that the USC completes and file but it is the form that the foreign spouse completes and files on their behalf. So answer the questions from that viewpoint. And yes, you are correct, your spouse is not applying with you as she is not eligible for a green card

She is petitioning for you via the I-130. The I-485 is your petition.

That's what the immigration forums are for, questions and answers.
I'm doing my masters, she's doing her PhD! We have tonnes of homework and graduate related stuff to do alongside filling the forms, so we are probably overthinking it, as we are used to trying to interpret meanings behind questions and the like within our degrees

We have pretty much finished all forms now though. Time to begin gathering the required items needed to send of with it, copies of birth certs, deed polls, and anything else.

We have decided we won't send any proof of bona fide marriage with our application. We will gather evidence from the date we get married and build an up to date bank of evidence to take to the interview should we get one. The information sheet said 'should' send evidence, not 'must', so we are going of that basis. Plus as newlyweds, we won't have anything to show just yet!

The local field office to us is St Louis, and they're processing files from 13+ months ago. We have decided we will send the app of without the medical due to it expiring in 12 months, and just get the medical done in 2/3 months time so it will still be in date when it comes round to the interview OR the RFE for the medical. That gives us time to check my vaccinations and get me up to date on any I might need. Is that an ideal way to do it?

We haven't even got married yet, but we figured the forms and gathering stuff take a lot longer than the actual marriage process does here. So want the forms done, and get stuff together whilst getting married. A marriage license is produced the same day, so can get married pretty much in a day! We are very excited to begin this next journey in our lives together
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing my masters, she's doing her PhD! We have tonnes of homework and graduate related stuff to do alongside filling the forms, so we are probably overthinking it, as we are used to trying to interpret meanings behind questions and the like within our degrees

We have pretty much finished all forms now though. Time to begin gathering the required items needed to send of with it, copies of birth certs, deed polls, and anything else.

We have decided we won't send any proof of bona fide marriage with our application. We will gather evidence from the date we get married and build an up to date bank of evidence to take to the interview should we get one. The information sheet said 'should' send evidence, not 'must', so we are going of that basis. Plus as newlyweds, we won't have anything to show just yet!

The local field office to us is St Louis, and they're processing files from 13+ months ago. We have decided we will send the app of without the medical due to it expiring in 12 months, and just get the medical done in 2/3 months time so it will still be in date when it comes round to the interview OR the RFE for the medical. That gives us time to check my vaccinations and get me up to date on any I might need. Is that an ideal way to do it?

We haven't even got married yet, but we figured the forms and gathering stuff take a lot longer than the actual marriage process does here. So want the forms done, and get stuff together whilst getting married. A marriage license is produced the same day, so can get married pretty much in a day! We are very excited to begin this next journey in our lives together

Just send them evidence of your relationship now, it will save you a step later on. Send the medical too, if you keep it sealed and it takes over 13 months for them to process then that's not your fault.

Send it all together, pictures of you together with family and such is plenty. IF they really want that stuff so badly then bring it to your interview because that is where they will ask for it, not so much in an RFE.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notaclue
Just send them evidence of your relationship now, it will save you a step later on. Send the medical too, if you keep it sealed and it takes over 13 months for them to process then that's not your fault.

Send it all together, pictures of you together with family and such is plenty. IF they really want that stuff so badly then bring it to your interview because that is where they will ask for it, not so much in an RFE.
We are only contemplating sending of the medical forms at a later date or just taking it to interview with us as the instructions basically tells you that medicals expire in 12 months, so if you do send it in and it expires, you'll need a new one. They say you can send it in later or take it to interview!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

We are only contemplating sending of the medical forms at a later date or just taking it to interview with us as the instructions basically tells you that medicals expire in 12 months, so if you do send it in and it expires, you'll need a new one. They say you can send it in later or take it to interview!
Yep, this is certainly an option. Unlike the DOS medicals which lock in at time of AOS, the USCIS do indeed expire after 12 months.

That's said I had an RFE for medical and it delayed approval by about 3 months.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169
Yep, this is certainly an option. Unlike the DOS medicals which lock in at time of AOS, the USCIS do indeed expire after 12 months.

That's said I had an RFE for medical and it delayed approval by about 3 months.
Oh thats odd, as the instructions say you can bring just post it in at a later date or bring it to your interview, so I assumed they’d just remind you to bring it to your interview and not send a RFE.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thats odd, as the instructions say you can bring just post it in at a later date or bring it to your interview, so I assumed they’d just remind you to bring it to your interview and not send a RFE.
Slightly different for me that I got RFE'd AT the interview. Note that not all cases will actually have an interview.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169
Slightly different for me that I got RFE'd AT the interview. Note that not all cases will actually have an interview.
Ah, gotcha. We are just going to assume we will probably get an interview, it seems most people do. Or maybe I'm wrong there! But either way, we most likely will post in the medical in a couple of months time, to go in line with what seems to be the current processing times for our local office, so it won't expire.

These forms are very tedious and repetitive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.