Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

is marriage certificate rquired for interview if we have the divorce certificate?

is marriage certificate rquired for interview if we have the divorce certificate?

Old Mar 1st 2003, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by cindyabs
Thanks for the lead on how to get copy of marriage certificate in the UK Sal. I still wonder if it is necessary for us K3ers as well?
Your welcome.
Mmmmm shouldn't have thought so being as your already married!!!! Have to hope some K3ers reads this thread they might be able to help...

Sal
Old Mar 1st 2003, 8:40 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I know it wouldn't make sense but then, we are, after all talking about the bureaucracy, . Also, apparently the form we fill out or rather my husband as the UKC does (in packet 3) is the same as a fiance(e) UKC fills out with only the word fiance crossed out and spouse written in. I may well be looking for problems that don't exist, but on the other hand I would hate for us to be cut short because of some small overlooked item. Thanks again though,
Old Mar 26th 2003, 6:44 am
nat
Forum Regular

nat will become famous soon enoughnat will become famous soon enough
Default K3s and Marriage Cert

I asked this question too because when I got divorced we had to return to the courts the marriage certificate. To me, it doesn't make sense that one should be able to get a certified copy of a marriage certificate when divorced, particularly if the original had to be handed back. BTW, I was married and divorced in UK.

The instruction sheet (DSL 1076 - the fiance form with K1 crossed over with K3 instead) clearly states that it is needed together with the divorce certificate. However, the DofS website and INS website both ask just for the divorce certificate.

The strangest thing is nowhere in my package am I asked for our current marriage certificate!!

Does anyone know much about UK birth certs? The instructions also state that the birth certs must give the date of birth of each parent. My son, born in the UK and I have a long form birth cert for him and a couple of certified copies, does not include my birth date nor his father's. I doubt if it is not on the original or certified copies that this would be possible. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 6:53 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is marriage certificate rquired for interview if we have the divorce certificate?

Originally posted by Patrick
You don't need proof that you previously got married just that you got previously divorced!

Patrick

Well I emailed London asking just that question, the reply was YES you need certified or notarized copies of PRIOR marriage certificates as well as the expected certified/notarized copies of divorce decrees for prior marriages.........So I just called the town clerk's office to get mine-7 bucks versus the 40 bucks an online service wanted to charge me. Not much of a markup.........