Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage Based Visa Question - Starting out!

Marriage Based Visa Question - Starting out!

Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

jloto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage Based Visa Question - Starting out!

Hi All,

Have been reading the forum for a little while and it has been a great source of info for me already.

I am a UKC and live with my girlfriend in the UK, who is a USC (actually a dual USC/UKC)

We are planning on getting married in the next few months and then going through the spousal visa process before moving together to the US next year.

One question i haven't been able to work out through reading the forum is (waaaaay down the line) when I eventually get my Visa is there a certain amount of time you have to actually move to the US? I know you have to show intent to domicile, but practically speaking once you get the Visa how long have you go to close off your affairs in the UK and move?

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default Re: Marriage Based Visa Question - Starting out!

Originally Posted by jloto

One question i haven't been able to work out through reading the forum is (waaaaay down the line) when I eventually get my Visa is there a certain amount of time you have to actually move to the US? I know you have to show intent to domicile, but practically speaking once you get the Visa how long have you go to close off your affairs in the UK and move?
You have 6 months from the date the visa is granted to move to the US.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Although note that many people "move" within those 6 months and then come straight back to the UK for a month or two to tie up loose ends.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
You have 6 months from the date the visa is granted to move to the US.
when i had my interview yesterday i have until 23 november which is actually only 5 months

23 may is when i had medical. thats 6 months

just saying
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Originally Posted by redarmy990
when i had my interview yesterday i have until 23 november which is actually only 5 months

23 may is when i had medical. thats 6 months

just saying
That is odd! Everything I have ever read has said 6 months. They have stolen a month of you lol. Mind you, I am sure alot of people intend on leaving as soon as their passport is back with visa stamp, so guessing this doesn't become an issue all that often.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, the visa was issued incorrectly. You have 6 months from the date the visa was approved - which necessarily means the day of the interview and not the medical - to enter the US.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The visa will have both an issue date and an expiration date, the expiration date should be 6 months after the issue date. (Note that the visa may not be issued on the same day it was approved.)
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In that case, the visa was issued incorrectly. You have 6 months from the date the visa was approved - which necessarily means the day of the interview and not the medical -
To leave on an uninterrupted trip to the US. (The visa may have expired at the time of entry, but will still serve the purpose.)
to enter the US.
Regards, JEff
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The visa will have both an issue date and an expiration date, the expiration date should be 6 months after the issue date. (Note that the visa may not be issued on the same day it was approved.)
Not if some of the support documents will expire before 6 months. If, for example, at the time of visa issue the criminal record history only has 5 months validity, the visa will be issued with only 5 months validity.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

YankeeRedcoat is an unknown quantity at this point

11/05/12 interview date assigned 14/06/12
23/05/12 medical at bentinck mansions
14/06/12 interview london embassy
Curious about your timeline dates, you got an assigned interview date before medical? Is this a typo as medical should be received by embassy prior to getting an appointment, correct?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
To leave on an uninterrupted trip to the US.
I understand your need for specificity but, HTG, you're starting to write like Stuart!

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:58 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In this case not specificity, accuracy.

Regards, JEff

I understand your need for specificity but, HTG, you're starting to write like Stuart!

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:03 am

True. (Although not often an issue in the UK.)

I'm curious how redarmy knows that he has until 23 November to depart if his interview was only the day prior to his post. He shouldn't have the visa in hand to know the expiration date - yes? And if he's thinking he has 6 months from the date of his medical exam, May 23, the expiration date would be 22 November.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not if some of the support documents will expire before 6 months. If, for example, at the time of visa issue the criminal record history only has 5 months validity, the visa will be issued with only 5 months validity.