Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage based AOS & EAD & AP

Marriage based AOS & EAD & AP

Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage based AOS & EAD & AP

Originally Posted by psinghv
All

I have a quick question, I have received the application number already for my I130, I485 EAD and AP, I wish to take a break from my studies and need to withdraw from my current student application, does that put me out of status if I do so?

I would like to get to work, and go back to studies after a year of working, is it ok for me to do so, or I can't withdraw until my I130 interview has happened? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Psinghv
There is an old BIA case from the mid-70's entitled Hosseinpour. He was here on an F-1 visa back in the day when the admission was for a time definite rather than "D/S." He married and applied for adjustment of status. Marriage broke up in short order. BIA held that, inasmuch as he continued his studies, the filing for AOS was not a violation of status -- the IJ erred on that score. However, inasmuch as his admission had expired, he still lost.

Section 245(c) of the Immigration & Nationality Act is now somewhat confusing.

Notionally speaking, you will be out of status once you withdraw. However, if your application is approved, the time out of status become in the "no harm, no foul" category. If your application is denied, you are then very out of status. There is a fairly famous case called Freeman where the AmCit husband was killed in a motorcycle accident while the AOS was pending. She was deported. [The case had an unfortunate side effect of creating the issue of whether or not a VWP could adjust at all -- the law of unintended consequences kicked in with a vengance. ]
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

psinghv is an unknown quantity at this point

All just wanted to update you all, I received my EAD card yesterday and it also says the same card can be used for Advance Parole, does that sound correct?

Also I plan to visit my family back home for about 3 months starting november, is it ok now to travel now that I have AP, or is there anything else I need to do.

If i get my interview in between,I will fly back for the interview. Thanks for very much for the help..
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

All just wanted to update you all, I received my EAD card yesterday and it also says the same card can be used for Advance Parole, does that sound correct?
Yes.

Also I plan to visit my family back home for about 3 months starting november, is it ok now to travel now that I have AP, or is there anything else I need to do.
No.

If i get my interview in between,I will fly back for the interview.
Good plan.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Noorah

Thanks for the quick reply, there is no restriction with AP that I cant be out of country for more than 30 days or so correct?

Also I am assuming it shouldn't be an issue, coming back in on AP, just want to be a little cautious.

Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick reply, there is no restriction with AP that I cant be out of country for more than 30 days or so correct?
Correct.

Also I am assuming it shouldn't be an issue, coming back in on AP, just want to be a little cautious.
AP is never a guarantee of entry. Use at your own risk.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Since you seem to be risk averse, be aware that when "coming back in on AP" you are doing exactly that - coming in on parole. You are not being granted entry to the USA. While you will physically be in the USA, legally you will still be outside the USA waiting to be granted entry.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
AP is never a guarantee of entry. Use at your own risk.

Rene

Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Jeffrey/Noorah

Thanks for your reply, I am contemplating may be than i should go after getting my GC interview...
Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:52 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In which case, better yet go after your application to adjust status has been approved. (Approval may not come at the adjustment interview.)

Regards, JEff

I am contemplating may be than i should go after getting my GC interview...
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:16 pm

Jeffrey/Noorah

Thanks for your reply, I am contemplating may be than i should go after getting my GC interview...
If you are approved at the AOS interview, you should get your plastic green card in the mail within a couple of weeks after that. Then you will be safe to travel.

Rene